snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 04 March 2016, 01:51 PM

Default Mark Hamill says Luke Skywalker could be gay

Quote:
The people have spoken. They really, really want a gay Star Wars character, and for good reason. Representation matters.

http://mashable.com/2016/03/04/mark-.../#pIcZxkcvySq9

Alert! Alert! Incoming shitstorm, force 10! I repeat, force 10! Brace for impact! All decks on alert! This is gonna be a big one!
Old 04 March 2016, 02:01 PM

This popped up back in January, and there really wasn't much of a deal made of it then, so I doubt if there will be now.

I actually really dislike this idea, but not because I don't think Luke should be gay. My problem is with saying that sure, you have gay representation - this guy who once had a clear crush on the princess but otherwise has not had a relationship in the new canon can be gay if you want to think of him that way. That is not, IMO, representation, that is trying to say there is without actually having it.

Want to have a gay character, then either make Luke explicitly gay, or (my preference) make Poe Dameron gay and in a relationship with Snap Wexley (the X-Wing pilot played by Greg Grunberg). Don't just say that anyone not in a relationship can be seen as gay, and that's enough representation.
Old 04 March 2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
I actually really dislike this idea, but not because I don't think Luke should be gay. My problem is with saying that sure, you have gay representation - this guy who once had a clear crush on the princess but otherwise has not had a relationship in the new canon can be gay if you want to think of him that way.

As a single woman in her 40's I actually like the idea of like of keeping someone single without making them gay. We don't all have to pair up like we are going into Noah's ark people!! And from my understanding Jedi knights are meant to be like monks (pick your religion) in that they are meant to remain single and leave emotion out of their life as much as possible. (Leave a better explaination to when it not past midnight here) I agree that if a gay or gay charactors are brought they should be new charactors.

But if they wanted to make Luke gay they could explain his crush on Lea as him obviously having very strong feeling towards Lea from his first veiwing of her which was a combination of them being twins as well as being gifted in the force and the only label he could put on his feeling at the time was he was sexually attracted to her.
Old 04 March 2016, 03:06 PM

Or they could just say that he's bi.
Old 04 March 2016, 03:10 PM

I only saw IV-VI once each, over 30 years ago, and I but not II or III or (?)VII, but I have a question?

Do the movies have much romance or sexuality at all? Not counting sexualized slavery.
Old 04 March 2016, 03:12 PM

Very little. There's some belligerent sexual tension between Leia and Han in episode V that becomes more romantic in VI and that's pretty much it unless you want to count 3PO and R2 as a gay couple.
Old 04 March 2016, 03:15 PM

That is what I thought. Thank you. My first reaction to the title was "or he could be nothing, or something else entirely. It was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. Is he even human?*"

*Yes, I know that non human animals can be homosexual.
Old 04 March 2016, 03:16 PM

It really doesn't matter to me at all. Gays can be badass, too. Just because someone is gay doesn't mean they can't be a good leader, or a good person, or a good ass-kicker, or whatever.

As Dasla pointed out, technically "old school" Jedi should be asexual, if anything. If you're raised in the old Jedi tradition, you have no emotional attachments. Whether one is gay or bi or straight becomes irrelevant. Being a Jedi supersedes all of that.

So if teen Luke was gay, that ceased to matter once he became Jedi Luke.

And remember that the whole storyline of Luke changing the Jedi order and rejecting a lot of the old teachings in the Expanded Universe is now non-canon.

One thing I didn't like in the article was the part about his being gay precludes him from being Rey's father. Um... why, exactly? He's gay, not sterile. Gay men can still produce children with women, so, why would his being gay mean he can't be Rey's father? Sure, they bring up in-vitro, but they can still do it the old fashioned way.
Old 04 March 2016, 03:20 PM

If Luke is not-straight then I don't want him to be celibate. It'd be a cop-out to say that he likes guys but isn't going to be romantically or physically involved with anybody.
Old 04 March 2016, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
As a single woman in her 40's I actually like the idea of like of keeping someone single without making them gay. We don't all have to pair up like we are going into Noah's ark people!!
As someone who's been un-partnered since my divorce nearly 20 years ago, I concur.
Old 04 March 2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobleHunter View Post
If Luke is not-straight then I don't want him to be celibate. It'd be a cop-out to say that he likes guys but isn't going to be romantically or physically involved with anybody.
That's kind of how I felt about Dumbledore as gay - as far as we ever heard, he never had a physical relationship. Maybe asexual, but not gay or straight. Even the Grindlewald relationship is not in the book shown to be sexual. Lots of people, particularly teens/early 20s form very strong attachments without it being sexual. Now the Potterverse did have an explicit gay couple (at the party in HBP), and that is fine, though you could not have more peripheral characters. But in the stories, Dumbledore's sexuality was even more of a non-issue than Dean's parentage (there is a substantial backstory there in the pre-writing outline that had to get left out). Likewise, Luke had only one known attraction, and after that adopted a nonsexual lifestyle.
Old 04 March 2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
I only saw IV-VI once each, over 30 years ago, and I but not II or III or (?)VII, but I have a question?

Do the movies have much romance or sexuality at all? Not counting sexualized slavery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
Very little. There's some belligerent sexual tension between Leia and Han in episode V that becomes more romantic in VI and that's pretty much it unless you want to count 3PO and R2 as a gay couple.
Gotta disagree, CH. I would say that The Empire Strikes Back (Episode V) is basically a love story between Han and Leia. There is much less time for it in Jedi, but they both profess their love for each other and end up together. And they clearly get a kid out of the deal.

Attack of the Clones (Episode II) was also a love story, between Padme and Anakin. Now, it was a bad love story, but it was still a love story. Revenge of the Sith also deals with their affair quite a bit. Ultimately, their romance was the driving force of the prequels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
It really doesn't matter to me at all. Gays can be badass, too. Just because someone is gay doesn't mean they can't be a good leader, or a good person, or a good ass-kicker, or whatever.
I agree totally. My issue is not that Jedi can't be gay, it is that I don't think it counts as representation just because that person could be gay. I think they need to straight up demonstrate that the person is gay. I think Poe and Snap would work well, and it could be easily demonstrated. Show them giving each other a kiss before running off to the next battle, and you have actual representation, instead of having to imagine someone is gay because it doesn't contradict.

Quote:
As Dasla pointed out, technically "old school" Jedi should be asexual, if anything. If you're raised in the old Jedi tradition, you have no emotional attachments. Whether one is gay or bi or straight becomes irrelevant. Being a Jedi supersedes all of that.

So if teen Luke was gay, that ceased to matter once he became Jedi Luke.
They never say that Jedi are celibate. In The Clone Wars, it is pretty clear that Obi Wan is not. They are just not supposed to form attachments. So if teen Luke was gay and following the old Jedi Code, he could still have sex, just not marry or have a long term relationship.

Quote:
And remember that the whole storyline of Luke changing the Jedi order and rejecting a lot of the old teachings in the Expanded Universe is now non-canon.
Non canon, but we know he established a new order in the new canon. What exactly went on there is up in the air, and there is reason to believe he does not enforce that particular rule.

Quote:
One thing I didn't like in the article was the part about his being gay precludes him from being Rey's father. Um... why, exactly? He's gay, not sterile. Gay men can still produce children with women, so, why would his being gay mean he can't be Rey's father? Sure, they bring up in-vitro, but they can still do it the old fashioned way.
Yeah, I agree.
Old 04 March 2016, 09:32 PM

Icon105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
I think Poe and Snap would work well, and it could be easily demonstrated. Show them giving each other a kiss before running off to the next battle, and you have actual representation, instead of having to imagine someone is gay because it doesn't contradict.
This is good. I think the best way to handle this sort of issue is to not make it an issue. They hug and kiss before parting, or whatever, and that's it. A lot of the homophobic backlash, IMO, comes from the perception that it's being forced on the viewer if a lot of time is spent on it, and that causes resentment in those inclined to not like representations of gay relationships in media.

Make it a no-big-deal thing, perfectly normal ('cuz it is).

I'm also not saying downplay it so much that it's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it thing. Give it the same depth and attention that you'd give any hetero relationship. Make the issue a non-issue.

Homosexuality is a thing, even a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...
Old 05 March 2016, 12:39 AM

Mouse

Got no problem with Luke being Gay. I know a popular theory is that he's Rey's father and have no real strong objections to it, but I find myself thinking, "Y'know it would be nice if not every Jedi could be traced back to the Skywalkers somehow."

Don't have too much difficult believing that the Force (as a organic energy being, not microscopic bugs that live in people's blood) has a certain amount of consciousness and decided to endow Rey with Force powers. Heck, episode VII almost seemed to imply that the Force is within everyone to a certain extent, just that some are better able to, through discipline and training, learn to utilize the Force. I'm just saying, while I have no objection to Finn being the Badass Normal, he did show some chops at light saber wielding.

But while I'm glad that the much of the EU has been jettisoned, do still hope that Luke goes with the "To heck with the Celibacy rule!" in this version. I mean if it turns out that I'm wrong about the Force being a sentient organic energy being that basically travels through time and space, empowering beings to serve as its avatar, it'd probably make more sense to not have a celibacy rule. Wouldn't it be more prudent for Jedi to do what they can to increase the number of Force-Sensitive beings? And now I'll fish myself because now I'm envisioning scenarios similar to the Naruto fanfic called Mating Frenzy.

If you're wondering, I've also started creating a head canon for Snoke. Granted it'll probably be Jossed when JJ Abrams releases the next movie, but I adore reading and crafting fan theories. And I'm glad I exist in the era of the Internet where I can share mine and read others.
Old 05 March 2016, 01:22 AM

A lot of people think gay Jedis almost always have a pink or yellow lightsabre but that's simply not the case. It should be obvious since, as everyone knows, Liberace's was blue.
Old 05 March 2016, 02:30 AM

Quote:
So to make it clear, as I am sure you all relise, it doesn't matter if Luke is attracted to Lea or Han. Him being a Jedi would explain why he has never partnered up. Not long term anyway.

Quote:
This is good. I think the best way to handle this sort of issue is to not make it an issue. They hug and kiss before parting, or whatever, and that's it. A lot of the homophobic backlash, IMO, comes from the perception that it's being forced on the viewer if a lot of time is spent on it, and that causes resentment in those inclined to not like representations of gay relationships in media.
I agree make it just normal. Don't make a big deal of it like "look how politically correct we are..we have a same sex couple!!" or "In your face homophobes, we have a gay couple!" just make it like any other couple. Because, for goodness sake we should be at stage by now, and I think most of us are.
Old 06 March 2016, 11:30 AM

I have been watching the Gay and lesbian mardigras http://www.mardigras.org.au/ and noticed at least one imperial storm trooper on a float (a fleeting sighting).

Just saying.
Old 07 March 2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
A lot of people think gay Jedis almost always have a pink or yellow lightsabre but that's simply not the case.
That's a common misconception... everyone knows that gay Jedi lightsabers are rainbow coloured....rippling up and down the colours like a barber pole.

Old 07 March 2016, 06:26 PM

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
Lea or Han.
I'm sorry to nitpick, but her name is spelled Leia and it is a real frustration of mine when people correctly spell a bunch of made-up words from a fantasy movie in space but then misspell the name of the lone important female character.*

On a completely different note, Mark Hamill is seriously a delightfully kind Space Dad and I love how thoughtfully he responds to fans on social media. I'm neutral on the idea of gay Luke Skywalker, but it's so wonderful to the younger LGBTQ fans to have someone like Mark validating their interpretations.

My deep hope is for a Poe/Finn romance.

My second deep hope is for a Rey/Jessika Pava** romance, but I recognize that one is the least likely to become canon.

*In the original trilogy.

**Jessika "Jess" Testor Pava, flies under the Blue Three callsign. She's the Asian X-Wing pilot in the attack on Starkiller Base and fandom is not letting the fact that she only had like five lines get in the way of a good F/F ship.
Old 07 March 2016, 09:47 PM

I have no issue with any new character being gay at all -
if they wish to throw the label of Gay onto a well known character that hasn't been known to be gay for the last 40 years -- i would hope there would be some story there not just " and now i am gay" -- that just seems contrite and tacked on.

It would be even cooler if they just had a gay character be a gay character with out having to say "Hey I am a gay character" (you know like they can do with hetro characters) but thats prolly too soon.