snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 27 June 2015, 02:06 PM

Default Little things that annoy you

I bet that spelling mistake in the thread title will annoy everyone for weeks and weeks
Old 27 June 2015, 03:06 PM

Well, now that you've pointed it out...
Please tell me you didn't do it on purpose.
Old 27 June 2015, 05:22 PM

The only solution is for everyone to post a LOT of LTTA them, so the thread can close out in as short a time as possible.

LTTAM: having to post something just to get a thread closed out sooner, but with no real LTTAM to actually post.
Old 27 June 2015, 05:22 PM

LTTAM: me starting to get recursive in my posts.
Old 27 June 2015, 06:49 PM

Me too, Crius.

I mean just take a look at this post right here!

http://message.snopes.com/showpost.p...01&postcount=5
Old 28 June 2015, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latiam View Post
Well, now that you've pointed it out...
Please tell me you didn't do it on purpose.
Of course I didn't do it on purpose, I'm an excelent speller
Old 28 June 2015, 01:57 AM

I realize that my job requires me to interact with the public, and 95% of the time I'm okay with that. But several times a week I find myself on the phone with someone who's clearly not in a coherent or lucid state of mind, and that makes my job ten times harder than it needs to be. I don't want to be disparaging to people with mental problems or drug addiction, but it is seriously frustrating to try to have a conversation with a caller who suddenly decides to get mad and hang up (or yell at me) when I'm trying to help them. You called me, and I'm trying to help, but you need to give me more information than "I don't know" as your only answers to my questions.
Old 28 June 2015, 03:10 PM

I know that when I give some one a cheque, it's up to them to cash it whenever they want and I should consider the money gone from my account then. But damn it, it's a LTTAM when they just sit on the cheque for days. Please just cash the damn thing so my bank balance accurately reflects how much money I really have.
Old 28 June 2015, 03:45 PM

Baseball

Oooh. I hear you. I used to hate doing reconciliations, especially in the years where cheques were the principle mode of payment. I feel your annoyance.
Old 28 June 2015, 09:37 PM

Yeah, it would be nice if banks gave you the option to put a hold on the amount of a check as soon as you write it. It shouldn't be hard to do these days; I can cash a check by taking a picture of it with my phone, so why can't I snap a picture of the checks I write and have that money instantly set aside in some secondary "pending" account?
Old 28 June 2015, 10:43 PM

Baseball

Another thing that has hit my Facebook page:

I am part of a community Facebook page. It is good for passing the usual community information. Yardsales go up etc. But, it is also a great spot for gossip and stupidity.

To wit, the "owner" of the group has this gem stickied to the top

Quote:
...for those of us who are parents we do our best to make sure our kids are informed about the dangers of playing outside especially near roads...
It may be possible to say that she is trying to warn us of kids playing near roads, but no. She is a mother who has her kid bubblewrapped. She is horrified when she sees parents let their six year olds walk 50 metres to the playpark, unsupervised.

It is annoying because, I knew her when I was in my 20s and she was eight. Her father was an old sergeant of mine, and his idea of kids growing up was that they did not do it stuck in a house. Now, his daughter is actively warning people about letting kids play outside (and gossiping about parents who do let their kids play outside.)

It is really getting on my nerves.
Old 28 June 2015, 11:14 PM

LTTAM: Descriptions of books/movies/TV shows by someone who clearly either didn't read/watch it, or has a unique talent for completely missing the point. I realize there's only so much that can be said in a one-sentence blurb, but being incomplete is not the same as being inaccurate. Latest example: Netflix's mouse-over synopsis* of Orange Is The New Black. "Piper Chapman doesn't deserve her prison sentence. Of course, every one of her fellow inmates thinks the same thing."

Aside from the awkward, ambiguous grammar...was this written by the only person on earth who doesn't watch OITNB? Because a big part of this show has been the inmates, including Piper, accepting responsibility for their actions and dealing with their issues (and still sometimes being comically un-self-aware in other ways, and still having valid complaints about the prison system in general and their individual treatment within it.) It is not a sitcom version of Chicago.

*possibly referring to only the current season? Because the description when you click on the show is "A privileged New Yorker ends up in a women's prison when a past crime catches up with her in this Emmy-winning series from the creator of Weeds," which I have no issue with.
Old 29 June 2015, 11:23 PM

Aside from the misspelled thread title, I am annoyed (again!) with my landlady.

I'm moving out in two weeks, but she insisted on doing an inspection this weekend, to see if there were things she wanted to renovate. Turns out she wants to renovate just about everything.

She said she wanted to send a contractor to do estimates. I told her I would need to know when if before I moved. She texted me to arrange a time for tonight, but only took my window of availability and said she'd let me know exactly when later (another annoyance) but never did say anything. So I texted her again. Two hours later, I get a text with no apology and just a cryptic, "Not today."

If I didn't have to be at home so much to pack, I would suddenly develop a hobby that ensured I was never home.
Old 30 June 2015, 02:09 PM

Glasses

She doesn't expect you to pay for the renovation, does she?

LTTAM: People who water their sidewalks and driveways. Look, they're never going to grow, and you're just wasting water. I know it's a hassle to actually set the sprinkler in the right spot, and set the water to the right height, and even more of a hassle to have to do it again when you move the sprinkler, but it's better than paying for the water you're uselessly spraying all over the place.

This morning I saw a house where they were watering the lawn, their driveway, the sidewalk, the hole the utility guys had dug, their front porch (including the front door) and their siding. Except for the lawn, none of those things needed the water, and some of them (like the hole and the front door) are better without it.

Seaboe (hey, it's not about traffic this time!)
Old 30 June 2015, 03:24 PM

Seaboe, it is hard for me to spice things up also, since so many of the things that annoy me are traffic related, like the person this morning...

anyway, my little thing is that some of my coworkers and I deal with a vendor who emails us reports. They NEVER send the report to the right person so I have to read the report to see who each one is actually FOR. They really should be able to send the report to the person who asks for it.
Old 30 June 2015, 06:51 PM

Seaboe, here in Central California we would get ticketed for watering things that don't grow.

LTTAM: even though we are in a drought, people still need to water some things -- like the pasture where their llamas, donkeys and goats live. Some people take drought-shaming beyond the point of reason. Not all watering is wasteful!
Old 01 July 2015, 12:56 AM

Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keket View Post
I know that when I give some one a cheque, it's up to them to cash it whenever they want and I should consider the money gone from my account then. But damn it, it's a LTTAM when they just sit on the cheque for days. Please just cash the damn thing so my bank balance accurately reflects how much money I really have.

Reminds me of the time my dad wrote a check for some home improvement work he had done--the guy never did cash the check. IIRC, I think the man's widow found it in his effects.

LTTAM: All the summer stuff is going on sale now, which is great, but I hate the retailer attitude that everyone and his dog will be thinking winter clothes in the middle of the summer. Yeah, DYOC forbid that you need a bathing suit or shorts at this time of year! No what you really want is an overcoat! When you won't even NFBSKing need one until around November! The reverse is true in January--you certainly don't need any winter clothes in January! [do those of you in the Southern Hemisphere experience this, albeit in reverse?]
Old 01 July 2015, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
She doesn't expect you to pay for the renovation, does she?
She'd better not! But no, I doubt it. She's conniving enough to try to invent ways to keep my security deposit, based on her reputation, but if she tries anything, she'll have to tell it to the judge--and in New Jersey, if a landlord keeps the security deposit improperly, they have to pay it back double. So. Let her try it.
Old 01 July 2015, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
LTTAM: All the summer stuff is going on sale now, which is great, but I hate the retailer attitude that everyone and his dog will be thinking winter clothes in the middle of the summer. Yeah, DYOC forbid that you need a bathing suit or shorts at this time of year! No what you really want is an overcoat! When you won't even NFBSKing need one until around November! The reverse is true in January--you certainly don't need any winter clothes in January! [do those of you in the Southern Hemisphere experience this, albeit in reverse?]
It depends on what you mean by "on sale" do you mean simply in the store? or do you mean maked down? If you mean in store, then no we don't generally have stuff in store now for summer. If you mean maked down, it makes sense that stores would reduce the price of stuff at the end of the season.

I was going to post this in "little things that make you happy" but since it on topic I will put it here. Yesterday I went out the the local factory outlet centre and managed to get a fare bit of winter stuff cheap (PJs and slippers). Mind you many in the northern hemisphere and in the southern states wouldn't consider what we have now as winter. I grew up futher north though (in the tropics) so it feels like winter to me.
Old 01 July 2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
LTTAM: Descriptions of books/movies/TV shows by someone who clearly either didn't read/watch it, or has a unique talent for completely missing the point.
The tv reviewer for the local paper has this talent. One example given when talking about a episode of "Glee" "Tonight the Glee kids so some cover versions..which they call mashups!!!" (it was from a few years ago) No they don't call cover versions "mashups" everything they do is a cover versions. A mash-up (and the term isn't just used on Glee) is basically what was once called a meldoldy, were several songs are joined together.

That is the only example I can think of at the moment but they do it regularly.
Closed Thread