snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 29 May 2014, 01:11 PM

Default Little things that annoy you

WildaBeast said on the previous thread:

Quote:
I often get junk mail trying to get me to refinance my mortgage. I'm sure lots of people do if they have a mortgage and good credit. There's one particular one I've gotten a few times now that annoys me a little. This one is designed to look like the broker is personally writing to me; it's printed in a font that looks handwritten and is worded like "I feel I can help you reduce your monthly payments... I wrote to you before but never received a reply." (I'm sure Mr. Mortgage Broker is just sitting by the phone going "Why doesn't he call?" ). I'm not really sure why that annoys me; I guess because it feels a little bit deceptive.
I get mail from GEICO all the time and I don't even drive.
Old 29 May 2014, 02:16 PM

Glasses

LLTAM: People who won't accelerate to freeway speed while in an exit only lane, but then accelerate to above the speed limit on the off ramps.

I admit I got more letters (supposedly from people just browsing the neighborhood; I don't believe it) before I resided the front of the house and rebuilt the carport. I get the letters because I have a large lot and a small house. The buyers don't want my house (no matter what they claim). They want to put a Very Large House on the lot. Wildabeast, I'd be willing to bet that real estate agent did not make a mistake; s/he figured that since your house was smaller than average, you'd sell it for less and s/he could hire a contractor to replace it with something bigger.

I'm fairly cynical about the motives of strangers who try to buy my house. It makes me want to charge them $2 million (cash only, no mortgage), or put a conservation easement on my giant sequoia (so they couldn't cut it down if they bought the house). Or both.

Seaboe
Old 29 May 2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
It makes me want to charge them $2 million (cash only, no mortgage),
If someone offered me $2 million for my place, it is sold. And I do not care if a mortgage is involved, so long as I am not the one extending the credit.
Old 29 May 2014, 03:32 PM

Cervus said in the old thread:
Quote:
The storage bins I have are about 1/4" too narrow for what I want to store in them.
A few years ago I bought a $500 6x6x8' greenhouse to fit between two sheds in my backyard. I'd measured between the two sheds very carefully before placing the order to make sure it would fit and there was barely an inch to spare. It wasn't until the flatpacked greenhouse arrived that I realised that the space was narrower in the middle than where I'd measured and there was no way the greenhouse was going to fit, and nowhere else in my yard to put it.
I managed to sell it for pretty much what I paid for it and only lost out on the delivery cost but I was still pretty annoyed.
Old 29 May 2014, 05:40 PM

Wolf333 said in the old thread:

Quote:
I work in an open office. One of my co-workers not only has no indoor voice
Loud Howard's twin sister?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Wildabeast, I'd be willing to bet that real estate agent did not make a mistake; s/he figured that since your house was smaller than average, you'd sell it for less and s/he could hire a contractor to replace it with something bigger.
Depends on what you mean by "average." All the houses on my block are modest 1970s ranch homes, and mine is no smaller than the others. The houses in the newer area a few blocks away are larger. A really big house on my lot would look very out of place in my neighborhood (Not that people haven't done that other places).
Old 29 May 2014, 06:36 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
If someone offered me $2 million for my place, it is sold. And I do not care if a mortgage is involved, so long as I am not the one extending the credit.
Once they've turned over the cash, they can't try to wiggle out of it. I think we're actually on the same page. Maybe mortgage isn't the right term.

I'm positive I'd never be taken up on the deal, though. The lot isn't that big, can't be subdivided and it's not a multi-million dollar home type neighborhood.

Another LLTAM about houses are the people who drop off offers for new windows or for painting the house. Especially since I think this sort of thing is triggered by companies noticing that you priced new windows or bought paint. Sure, I'll hire you to repaint my newly painted house.

Seaboe
Old 29 May 2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Depends on what you mean by "average." All the houses on my block are modest 1970s ranch homes, and mine is no smaller than the others. The houses in the newer area a few blocks away are larger. A really big house on my lot would look very out of place in my neighborhood (Not that people haven't done that other places).
So everyone in your neighborhood with a 70s ranch may have been solicited. You personally may not be 'special' but the neighborhood may be perceived as ripe for redevelopment, whether as a whole or lot by lot, and all residents may have been contacted. "Block-busting" in reverse, perhaps?
Old 29 May 2014, 08:17 PM

Bees - On Tuesday afternoon I scooped up a bee in my sandal and it stung me under my big toe. Other than being slightly aware of the sting site it didn't bother me yesterday. Today my big toe is itchy and swollen.
No hives, no breathing issues. All the trouble seems to be in my foot. I've taken benedryl and had a very sleepy day. Dang little bee. Sorry I caught you in my shoe.
Old 29 May 2014, 08:41 PM

Icon605

While not a "little" thing, it doesn't warrant a full rant:
My dryer is no longer heating. Air still blows (I hear it in the vent), the drum still tumbles but that's it. Most likely I could check what's wrong with it and repair it, but I don't have the tools, so I would have to buy all that stuff.
Or we could buy a new dryer...

Right now, the best middle solution is to get rolls of quarters and use the dryer in the laundry room. Which would have two benefits: I would actually have to get the stuff, fold it and put it away instead of leaving it in the dryer for ages and it would be quicker and I could do more loads. (It took our dryer 2 to 3 cycles of 70 minutes what the laundryroom dryer does in 1 hour).
Old 29 May 2014, 08:53 PM

RobDBlackwolf:

Is it a gas or electric heat dryer? If it is electric, most likely the heating element is bad, inexpensive part, and fairly easy if you have minimal repair skills. No special tolos, only need screwdrivers, pliers, that kind of stuff.

Any questions, PM me; I go to Lancaster every Tuesday.

BW
Old 29 May 2014, 08:56 PM

I have repaired my dryer several times. I was shocked at how easy it was the first time.
Old 29 May 2014, 09:21 PM

Our dryer stopped drying and seemed to not be heating, but it was caused by a thermostat because the airflow had been reduced by lint in the exhaust. Try checking that, since it is so easy - start with the exterior end, since there is probably a screen of sorts there that can catch stuff. It can sound like there is air flow, even when it is not sufficient to keep the thermostat from interfering.
Old 29 May 2014, 09:33 PM

Yeah, over the weekend I try to open that thing up, clean out lint and look for ovious signs of blockage. I can at least do those little things. I had to clean out the vent hose (we live in an apartment with the washer/dryer alcove in the middle of it) because it was clogged up. So chances are good that the dryer is as stuffed as my sinuses.
And, btw, it's an electric dryer.
Old 30 May 2014, 12:54 AM

Two things about my local library are annoying me:

1. They've recently decided that all nonfiction DVDs are going to be shelved with the nonfiction books. Documentaries are now shelved alongside hardback biographies, or in the political section or relevant subject matter, making it absolutely impossible to browse for DVDs. I also discovered they've moved some of their anime DVDs to the 741.58 section, which contains a couple of graphic novels along with comic anthologies, biographies of cartoonists, and nonfiction how-to-draw books. Which leads me to the other annoying thing...

2. Graphic novels and manga are literally shelved all over the place. Some are in the fantasy/sci-fi section. Some are shelved in general fiction, regardless of how many fantasy or sci-fi elements they contain. A number of "mature" graphic novels and comics are shelved in the children's section. Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen titles are divided up and randomly distributed among 741.58, fiction, and sci-fi. It's impossible to browse just for graphic novels and comics, which is what I specifically went to the library to do tonight. I don't know if this is typical, but the library where I used to had a designated section for graphic novels and manga, and I found it very convenient.
Old 30 May 2014, 01:04 AM

In my local library, graphic novels are indeed in the "non-fiction" section in the basement, amidst anthologies, comic related collectors guides, comic artist biographies and "How to draw Superheroes Marvel Style" books. Though there might be some other comics in the Children section too.
Old 30 May 2014, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDBlackwolf View Post
While not a "little" thing, it doesn't warrant a full rant:
My dryer is no longer heating. Air still blows (I hear it in the vent), the drum still tumbles but that's it. Most likely I could check what's wrong with it and repair it, but I don't have the tools, so I would have to buy all that stuff.
Or we could buy a new dryer...

Right now, the best middle solution is to get rolls of quarters and use the dryer in the laundry room. Which would have two benefits: I would actually have to get the stuff, fold it and put it away instead of leaving it in the dryer for ages and it would be quicker and I could do more loads. (It took our dryer 2 to 3 cycles of 70 minutes what the laundryroom dryer does in 1 hour).
Coincidentally, just today I was just having a conversation with a coworker about his dryer not heating. It would tumble but wouldn't heat up at all. The cause of his was a different one then the ones already mentioned, so I'll tell you anyway: It wasn't all the way plugged in.* He said he had a service call on it, and all the guy did was point out that it had come partially unplugged, and plugged it in all the way. After that - it heated up.

* I wasn't sure whether to believe him when he told me what it was - because it doesn't seem right. But it is free and easy to check, anyway.
Old 30 May 2014, 02:13 AM

It ran fine for a few days after I cleaned out the vent, just started to not heat up two days ago. But just to make sure I unplugged the dryer and plugged it back in (and of course the dryer plug is behind the vent hose).
Old 30 May 2014, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle View Post
Coincidentally, just today I was just having a conversation with a coworker about his dryer not heating. It would tumble but wouldn't heat up at all. The cause of his was a different one then the ones already mentioned, so I'll tell you anyway: It wasn't all the way plugged in.* He said he had a service call on it, and all the guy did was point out that it had come partially unplugged, and plugged it in all the way. After that - it heated up.

* I wasn't sure whether to believe him when he told me what it was - because it doesn't seem right. But it is free and easy to check, anyway.
In an all-electric drier, if there was no juice for the heating element, there would be no juice for the drum to rotate. A partly unplugged plug might cause intermittent working (and some dangerous sparking in the outlet), but would not selectively cause one part to work. Now I could see if there was a transformer for, say, the heating element within the drier, and only THAT became loose. OR if the automatic pilot in a gas drier got unplugged.
Old 30 May 2014, 03:03 AM

A blockage in the vent pipe will stop the dryer from drying. The humidity doesn't have anywhere to go. And the blockage doesn't have to be in the hose that goes from the dryer to the wall. If there is a blockage in the wall, it will stop the dryer from drying. Not only that, it might cause a fire

When did the landlord get the vent pipes cleaned? Dryer vent pipes are supposed to be cleaned once a year, but I've gone without getting them cleaned for 4 years. If the pipes haven't been cleaned recently, you should get on your landlords case.
Old 30 May 2014, 04:08 AM

The vent pipes have been cleaned out just a few months ago, and my apartments are good in that matter. A call to the office and they send one of their maintenance guys over with a vent snake.
Closed Thread