snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 30 December 2014, 05:56 AM
Barbara

Whalephant

Wyatt, if you must turn on the TV (by treading on the remote that sits on my desk), at least don't afterwards shove the remote off the desk. That's a tile floor down there - one of these days you're going to break that darned thing!

And the same goes for the portable LED desklamp you treated the same way only the day before. (Was really surprised that item survived its headlong pitch onto the tile floor.)
Old 31 December 2014, 03:06 AM

Icon22

Enoch,

There's a reason I get understandably nervous when you get into "thundering herd mode' in the mornings - not the least of which is that you're indiscriminate with your landing spots while you are in it. Given that most of me is hidden under the covers when you tear across the bed, and the weight of a fully grown Maine Coon in motion, and painful memories when your flying mass met the more sensitive parts of my body, you might understand why I cower beneath the covers at such times.

p.s. - I'm glad the blast of sub-zero air hitting you in the face caused you to think twice about scooting past me when I got home from the grocery store this evening.

Good kitty!

-your humble servant
Old 31 December 2014, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post
Enoch,

There's a reason I get understandably nervous when you get into "thundering herd mode' in the mornings - not the least of which is that you're indiscriminate with your landing spots while you are in it. Given that most of me is hidden under the covers when you tear across the bed, and the weight of a fully grown Maine Coon in motion, and painful memories when your flying mass met the more sensitive parts of my body, you might understand why I cower beneath the covers at such times.

p.s. - I'm glad the blast of sub-zero air hitting you in the face caused you to think twice about scooting past me when I got home from the grocery store this evening.

Good kitty!

-your humble servant
I wish the Ebil Greyhounds would take a cue from your kitty about the sub-zero temps. I've let them out in the backyard several times today, and they've been taking their sweet-ass time doing their business--they're *greyhounds*, meaning no body fat and one short, thin, coat. You'd think they'd show some of that speed the breed is famous for!

Magdalene
Old 08 January 2015, 06:36 PM

Dear Thalia,

Please don't be so stoic. You don't need to wait for your annual exam to get things checked out. If I'd had any idea that you had a tooth that was bothering you, we'd have had it taken care of ages ago

On the other hand, I am happy your mouth took care of the resorption on its own and saved us $1500.

Love, mom
Old 09 January 2015, 04:29 AM

I wish my cat would tell me when he was hurting, too. I came back from vacation and went to trim my cat's claws and discovered one of his dew claws had grown into the pad. He wasn't even walking funny, but he had been bleeding at one point. Poor stoic little dude.
Old 09 January 2015, 05:23 PM

It's particularly difficult with Thalia because she hates being handled, making it nearly impossible to check her mouth and paws for hidden problems.
Old 09 January 2015, 09:12 PM

Dog

Flanders when humans are sick, we usually take to our beds and stay there until we are not sick. Yes, DH could take you to dog park, but canes and snowy/icy surfaces do not play well together. Sorry.
Old 09 January 2015, 09:36 PM

Bonsai Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
Please don't be so stoic.
I remember a vet saying years ago that cats have a very high tolerance for pain, which sadly makes difficult for their owners to tell when something's wrong.
Old 24 January 2015, 05:41 PM

Lucy, It's not your car, You're not going for a ride.
Old 26 January 2015, 02:13 AM

I only have one outdoors, so the outdoors outside the front door, the back door and the kitchen door are all the same. I can't let you out into a nice, warm, dry outside.
Old 26 January 2015, 05:48 PM

Hey cats, dad and I switching sides of the bed is not a sign of the end times. You need not sing your feline lament to the curtains at 3:00am or claw at the side of the bed while keening and crying at us. It's not like any of you have been displaced or otherwise affected by this since you never sleep on the bed at night.

This should be a non-issue to everyone except the dog, and he doesn't care as long as he still gets to sleep under the covers.
Old 26 January 2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
I only have one outdoors, so the outdoors outside the front door, the back door and the kitchen door are all the same. I can't let you out into a nice, warm, dry outside.
He's looking for the door into summer.
Old 27 January 2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
It's not like any of you have been displaced or otherwise affected by this since you never sleep on the bed at night.
We switched back to our usual sides of the bed for reasons totally unrelated to cats. I woke up this morning with Thalia (who sleeps with us very occasionally when it's cold) sleeping along my side, Eldath (who typically will only sleep with me if I'm taking a nap during the day) between my feet, and Lliira (the most reticent when it comes to sleeping on or near anyone and who is afraid of blankets) draped over my midriff. Damn cats.
Old 27 January 2015, 04:36 PM

Poor Lliira.

Cheeto will only allowing significant petting, let alone cuddle up with me, if I'm sleeping. At night. In the bed. If I'm napping in the bed during the day, or sleeping on the couch at any time, I'm out of luck.
Old 27 January 2015, 04:49 PM

Lliira is very affectionate when it comes to petting, nuzzles, and kisses, but hates being held or cuddled and likes to have her space when she sleeps. She will sometimes sleep on my husband or our oldest if they're laying on the couch. The only bed she doesn't routinely avoid is our youngest's, because his window and loft bed make for the best morning birdwatching in the house and the bed's ladder is fun to hop up and down. The only time blankets are not suspicious is when they are draped over something in such a way that they make a tent for her, in which case they are the best thing ever.

Eldath stalks me for as long as it takes for me to sit down so she can spread out on my lap and will stay there indefinitely, and Thalia does the same thing to David. Lliira only rarely sits on laps.
Old 27 January 2015, 04:56 PM

Cheeto did refuse to stand/sit/lie on one blanket I had -- a wonderfully soft, plushy fleece one. So long as it was on my bed, he made a point of walking/sitting/lying only on the pillows. I missed cuddling him, so I gave the blanket to LizzyBean and Chillas, whose cats LOVE it.
Old 27 January 2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Poor Lliira.

Cheeto will only allowing significant petting, let alone cuddle up with me, if I'm sleeping. At night. In the bed. If I'm napping in the bed during the day, or sleeping on the couch at any time, I'm out of luck.
I'm nearly convinced Cheeto and Enoch are separated twins.

~Psihala
Old 10 February 2015, 04:10 PM

Gobi sweetie, I love it when you snooze on my lap, but it's a bit problematic when I'm working on the computer!
Old 10 February 2015, 04:25 PM

Don't be working on the computer when Gobi wants to snooze. Problem solved.
Old 10 February 2015, 05:46 PM

Hello Kitty

I was working on the computer when Gobi approached me, hopped on my lap, and settled in the crook of my arm. Too cute!