snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 07 January 2014, 11:00 PM

Default Things you shouldn't have to tell people

This is why I usually say something like "I will not have access to email during this time" in my out of office message. ETA: In response to GenYus from the previous thread.
Old 07 January 2014, 11:41 PM

Guess I presumed saying, "I will be on vacation from X date to X date" would sorta make it plain I wouldn't be checking email (given that I've worked for the boss for over a year and she knows if I'm on vacation, I don't check.)

Magdalene
Old 08 January 2014, 01:04 AM

I don't assume anyone is out of contact via phone or email anymore unless they specifically tell me so. If I am in the United States, my email is always with me. If I am out of the country, I usually check in at least every day or so, regardless of how remote I am.

*ETA: The only time I was ever out of contact for any period of time was during my meditation retreat where I had absolutely no contact for 10 days.
Old 08 January 2014, 01:07 AM

"It is God's will for us to suffer sometimes" is not really ever an appropriate thing to say to a person in distress. (Or not in distress, but it's at least less awful then.)
Old 08 January 2014, 01:18 AM

I am not allowed to access my work email outside of work unless I have a cleared, sanitized, dedicated work provided laptop or iPad. I've had to take it around twice. The dullest iPad on the planet. But I always make sure that I specifically state in my out of office reply that I won't see the email until I return.
Old 08 January 2014, 01:44 AM

Guess I'm old school. I always take it that if somebody says they're out sick/on vacation, they're not going to respond, so I presume they think the same if I say that.

OK, I feel like an out-of-step old fogey now.

Magdalene
Old 08 January 2014, 01:47 AM

I wish it could be that way for Mr. Gibbie. His work e-mail pushes to his phone and he has dial in access. His laptop goes with him when we travel. He took a conference call in a rest area over our Christmas trip. :/

Gibbie
Old 08 January 2014, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I am not allowed to access my work email outside of work unless I have a cleared, sanitized, dedicated work provided laptop or iPad. I've had to take it around twice. The dullest iPad on the planet. But I always make sure that I specifically state in my out of office reply that I won't see the email until I return.
Well we do have webmail (I work for a division of a bank) which can be accessed anywhere, but we only support VPN access on Work laptops (even though people do it anyway on other computers) or iOS devices.

I however am only allowed to remote in under unusual situations and since my job is mostly at the office I never state if I answer emails. Most people know if I am on vacay I donít reply. Most of the rest of the company though specifies since they are accessible.
Old 08 January 2014, 07:30 AM

TYSHTTP: if you consistently greet me by snarling 'what?!' and or tell me to 'leave you alone' because you are watching something apparently of life or death importance on YouTube, later when you want something from me, you may find that I am less than usually dedicated to the cause of sorting out your shit.
If you can't manage to muster up anything resembling a 'hi' or a 'just a second, im just finishing up here' with a side of 'did you want me for something?' then I most certainly shan't cook your preferred meal, remember where you left your iPod, or drive you into town.

TL/DR You are, all on your own, creating and maintaining the hostile environment, and I'm done bending myself pretzel shaped around it.
Old 08 January 2014, 11:33 AM

OK, we work in the industry, so we will all crowd around your desk excited to see your new tablet. And we (your coworkers) will understand your excitement over your new device which will cause you to play with it most of the day.

What we will not understand--realizing that over the next several weeks, you keep your tablet propped up next to you, all day, every day, at your desk, and you actually having the chutzpah to stream TV shows all day. I guess you're getting your work done (you ain't been fired yet, anyway), but don't you think that looks a bit bad to be doing?

Magdalene
Old 08 January 2014, 03:27 PM

OK, this is going on my fridge.
Old 08 January 2014, 04:44 PM

I sometimes feel guilty for listening to music on my phone at work, but a big chunk of my time is spent doing what basically amounts to tedious data entry, and listening to music helps me plow through it. I have one co-worker who always seems amused by that, as if he's caught me slacking off because my headphones are in (I don't deal with the public at all, and I'm in a private cubicle, so it's not like it's an image problem.)
Old 08 January 2014, 05:06 PM

There is a world of difference between listening to music at work and streaming TV shows on a tablet at work.
Old 08 January 2014, 06:48 PM

Glasses

I use YouTube as a radio on my second screen. So it does play videos. Not quite the same as streaming TV, though.

Re the email: I can only read work email on my work computer. My company shuts down between Christmas and New Years. I mean, shuts down. Only essential personnel (of which I am not one) are expected to go in. I not only don't read my email during shut down, but I would get in trouble for working unapproved overtime if I did.

Seaboe
Old 08 January 2014, 07:22 PM

If you choose to hold your impromptu meeting in the lunch room , instead of using one of the half-dozen rooms made available specifically for impromptu meetings, don't give me side-eye when I use the garbage disposal. Especially at mid-day.
Old 08 January 2014, 07:23 PM

If you want to talk to me and we have not set up a meeting ahead of time, it is only polite that you ask me if I have 45 minutes to give you before you start rambling at me. I didn't like having to cut you off because I know you're sensitive about things like that, but you didn't have anything specific you wanted to talk about, and I have things I need to do.
Old 09 January 2014, 06:22 PM

Since the previous thread is closed:

From Lainie
Quote:
That's great for you. But FTR, my apartment is quite humble; its second floor location and the lock on the front door (which, BTW, I can open anytime I want) don't make it posh. :-) And I was explaining my situation, not criticizing your choices.
I'm not single, nor a woman, nor in the US but I lock my door at night, because there was a murder up the street from my house, 6 doors down 2 years ago. There was another murder about 10 years ago, where a young girl was abducted, raped then killed on her way home from work. There are frequent reports of youth gangs swarmings as well. I could leave the door unlocked, but I prefer not to have to defend myself with a baseball bat, when I can do it by simply turning the lock.
Old 09 January 2014, 10:29 PM

I could probably leave my doors unlocked and never have a problem but I guess I'm just not that trusting. I wish, in some ways, that I was but I've read too many mystery novels and I watch the news .
Old 10 January 2014, 02:09 AM

Just because she is a foster child -- does not mean she is a second class person, and deserves less than any other child for christmas ---

**ex-mil sent a christmas package with my bios to give to my foster daughter -- and it contained a beat up, dirty make up case, really old candy (smarties in a box style that has not been available in a few years) and clothes pins. (mind you this is a woman who gave me an air freshener for christmas on year --) she called to get her thank you tonight cause she hadn't heard from us -- and had the nerve to say "it's probably better than what she is used to"

i realize she didn't have to do anything -- i would have preferred it. the look on the girls face painful to see --
Old 10 January 2014, 02:14 AM

I have severe deja vu about that story. I'm sitting here trying to figure out why, but I'm coming up blank. Has she done something like this before?
Closed Thread