snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Techno-Babble

Old 25 September 2013, 05:39 PM

Icon101 Apple Maps flaw results in drivers crossing airport runway

Quote:
An Alaskan airport has closed an aircraft access route because of a flaw with Apple's Maps app.

Fairbanks International Airport told a local newspaper that in the past three weeks two motorists had driven along the taxiway and across one of its runways.

Apple's app directs users along the taxiway but does not specifically tell them to drive on to the runway.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24246646
Old 25 September 2013, 05:54 PM

Leaving aside the numerous signs that the article mentions, when the directions say to turn onto "Taxiway Bravo", you should double-check that there is a street named that and not just follow the directions blindly.

ETA: If nothing else, you should wonder if that is a road just for taxi cabs.
Old 25 September 2013, 06:07 PM

When I use the GPS, I go into this fly-by-wire mode. Mentally, I'm driving on the GPS, instead of driving on the road. Kind of like how you do while playing video games. Just like you transfer your sense of self into the character when you play a video game, I end up feeling that I am the arrow on the GPS. I used to smirk at the people who would get themselves into a lake by following their GPS, but I can totally see myself doing that now.

That's why I'm scared of GPS. I use it only when I have to . If I know the roads, I shut it off.
Old 25 September 2013, 06:37 PM

If I know the area GPS is pointless, but I do find it useful when I'm in an unfamiliar area. Still, it definitely has some flaws:

A few months ago I was using the Google Maps app on my phone to get directions home from the Bay Area. As I was driving the voice randomly said "continue straight". The thing is, I was about halfway across the San Mateo Bridge at the time. Any direction other than straight would have meant driving into the bay! Thanks for the tip, Google.

Another time I was on an Interstate when out of the blue it told me to "make a legal U-turn". No, I'm not making a U-turn on the interstate. (I had just passed a major interchange where several roads overlap. I think it got confused as to which one I was on).

Lastly, one time I was using it to get directions to a hotel in Fort Lauderdale, FL (I think this was the Apple Maps app, because I had just clicked on the address in an email or something and that's what it opened by default). Apparently in that area US 1 has three different names, and when I got to that intersection the phone started rattling off all of them is if it was one really long street name, something like "Turn left on US Highway 1 North South Federal Way Something Something Something". The "north south" part was particularly confusing and amusing at the same time.
Old 25 September 2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Another time I was on an Interstate when out of the blue it told me to "make a legal U-turn". No, I'm not making a U-turn on the interstate. (I had just passed a major interchange where several roads overlap. I think it got confused as to which one I was on).
In its defense, it did say a "legal U-turn" so presumably you were expected to find somewhere to do that yourself, nevermind that it was impossible.
When I still had a Magellan GPS, I always imagined that the "Recalculating" got more testy as it repeated.
Old 25 September 2013, 06:53 PM

Glasses

I think in a way it's rather frightening the way people will follow the instructions of a machine even when their eyes indicate there is something wrong with the directions. Like the bus driver in Seattle who drove into a low overpass because his GPS told him to.

Prior to reaching this point, he would've had to drive past--and ignore--a flashing warning telling him to exit, that his specific vehicle was too high for the over pass.

Seaboe
Old 25 September 2013, 09:57 PM

I'm sure our GPS gets testier every time I avoid 200th street as a route. There are lights at every block, it's busy, and the very worst of the Langley drivers use that street. You'd think after 4 years Jill (our GPS voice) would know I'm not going there!
Old 25 September 2013, 11:36 PM

Roll eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana M View Post
You'd think after 4 years Jill (our GPS voice) would know I'm not going there!
Jill: (sigh) Recalculating...(sigh)

We know that sound so well.
Old 26 September 2013, 12:44 AM

I turned the voice off on my GPS. Anyway I uses it when driving through Seattle most of the time since it give me traffic delay times. That way I can choice to take I-405 rather the I-5 and what ever the GPS tells you never drive though down town Seattle unless the delay times are over 2 hours.

ETA: I would like to see the GPS add 2-3 min per stop light on route. Driving to down town Vancouver the GPS keep telling me I was 5 minutes away for 30 minutes because it did not account for all the stop lights.
Old 26 September 2013, 01:28 AM

I had a GPS once direct me to drive onto a runway. I was in a very unfamiliar area and it was dark. The only way I did not end up driving on a runway was that A) there was a fence in the way and B) I suddenly realized I was facing a bunch of commercial jets.

I still haven't figured out how I ended up there!
Old 26 September 2013, 02:11 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
I had a GPS once direct me to drive onto a runway. I was in a very unfamiliar area and it was dark.
GPS mistakes make a lot more sense to me when they happen in the dark (like the trio of ladies who ended up in Bellevue Slough). Daylight ones, where people ignore signs that should tell them something's up, are the ones I find scary.

Seaboe
Old 26 September 2013, 02:18 PM

I wonder why there wasn't a fence blocking access to the taxiway/runway in the OP.
Old 26 September 2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I wonder why there wasn't a fence blocking access to the taxiway/runway in the OP.
The OP article said there was a motion sensor gate. Why that gate isn't a coded gate or activated by a remote or swipe card, that I can't say.
Old 26 September 2013, 02:41 PM

According to the OP, there is a motion activated gate that they drove through. If my mad skillz are working, this link should be the gate they used. At least from the street, it isn't very obvious that it is for aircraft only. There are signs that say "Aircraft Operations Area" but nothing that I can see about "Aircraft Only". There is a sign in the distance under the Yield, but I can't read it on my monitor.

I was thinking it would be like Scottsdale airport, where it allows aircraft to cross a road and taxi onto the airport. This allows the city to sell more hanger space than would fit inside the existing roads. This link should take you to the street view for the Scottsdale Airport. It looks like a regular intersection except for that it is marked "Aircraft Taxiway" and it has multiple "No Turns" signs posted.

ETA: It wouldn't have a swipe card because you can't use a swipe card from inside an aircraft and (I guess) making pilots get out of the cockpit to swipe a card on a remote reader would be more hazardous than allowing for the potential that someone might drive onto the runway. Many pilots would end up leaving their engine running which means you've got a spinning propeller on a plane with potentially no one in it. Also, there would be no easy way to give swipe cards to pilots from other airports. ETA2: There are coded gates for people at airports. What they do is put a sign with the code that is only readable from inside the gate (so an arriving pilot can see it when he/she leaves). But that still leaves the issue of having a pilot leave the cockpit to use the keypad.

Last edited by GenYus234; 26 September 2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old 26 September 2013, 03:45 PM

My thought was that it was a gate for emergency personnel, or something like it. Not a gate for aircraft.

In that case, a swipe card would be perfectly reasonable, drive up, swipe, drive on.

Even better would be a remotely activated gate, with an activator like a car door activator within authroized vehicles.
Old 26 September 2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
The OP article said there was a motion sensor gate. Why that gate isn't a coded gate or activated by a remote or swipe card, that I can't say.
It wasn't necessary before.
Old 26 September 2013, 03:58 PM

I think having emergency personnel need a swipe card to drive onto the airport is probably a bad idea. If you need emergency personnel, you don't want to chance their card not working or them not having one with them. In a hospital with other people who can give them access it is a different story, but there might not be anyone within hundreds of yards of the gate that is blocking them. (Not so much in this case as it looks like they could just drive around, but more in general.)
Old 26 September 2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
On another board someone said Alaska is exempt from a lot of security requirements due to the fact that general aviation is so much more common up there. The drivers entered through the general aviation section of the airport, where private pilots park their Cessnas and Pipers and such. I imagine that side of the airport is kept open so that those pilots can come and go as they wish. In Alaska small planes are almost like cars, so having to have some sort of swipe card for every airport you want to fly to would be overly burdensome -- imagine needing something like that for each and every lot you wanted to park your car in.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 26 September 2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 26 September 2013, 05:59 PM

IME, general aviation access is often through a gate with a code, though it can depend which side of the fence the facility is on.
Old 26 September 2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Another time I was on an Interstate when out of the blue it told me to "make a legal U-turn".
I wish mine would say that, instead of directing me to turn right on one street, right on the next one, then left on the one I was on. Just tell me to turn the heck around!