snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Automobiles

Old 10 July 2014, 11:29 PM

Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
By "SOLID white line" I assume you mean the line (which is often not there) marking the official beginning of the intersection, that is, the line you are supposed to stop behind.
I assume Boxcar meant the point where the dashed lane boundary white lines turn into a solid line approaching the intersection.

It won't work everywhere in every situation, but I find glancing at the pedestrian signal helps me to determine if it's going to change soon or if I've got a bit of time. Particularly because our pedestrian signals have a countdown on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
The three second rule seems to be just a 'standard' adopted by various police officers. It is not codified that I know of. Others will and should correct me if I am wrong.
I've never heard of that. I only look to see that the vehicle has come to a complete stop before moving. How ever brief the stopped time is is irrelevant as long as there was a complete stop of the tires motion. I've never heard any officers here use a three second rule, officially or otherwise, and I would think that at least in AZ it would be easy to beat a ticket since there is nothing in statutes about having to pause for three seconds.

And as far as the OP I know that the system that was in place near by me did not "automatically delete" any pictures, but rather all pictures were viewed by an officer. The officer then determined if there was a violation after reviewing the pictures and threw out ones that wern't usable but they were not automatically screened by "the system"
Old 11 July 2014, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troberg View Post
I've seen a neat solution to the "Couldn't stop"-problem in some countries. They simply paint a small mark on the curb. If you have passed the mark when the light swith to yellow, drive on, if not, stop.

Simple to understand, simple to control without having to resort to some imprecise personal judgement.
There are yellow flashing lights here which serve the same purpose. Example here.
Old 11 July 2014, 03:09 AM

The 3 second rule has been anecdotally referred to in newspaper articles in the past year concerning red light cameras.