snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Spook Central

Old 19 November 2012, 01:20 PM

Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
As Mickey Blue said, the likeliest explanation is that it was a homo sapiens in a costume. Here's a video of someone in a silicone Bigfoot mask that shows at least as much facial mobility as whatever was in that initial video.
How do you know it wasn't a 'squatch in a latex 'squatch mask? I think there are Bigfeet and they are smart enough to realize the best way to preserve their secret is to make it seem like a hoax. So they dress in very fake looking 'squatch suits and get photographed to discredit the tales of their existance.
Old 19 November 2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
So they dress in very fake looking 'squatch suits and get photographed to discredit the tales of their existance.
You make it sound like a conspiracy or something. But we know from anthropology that masks play an important role in many rituals so it's no surprise to find that these ancient anthropoids also wear masks. The only question is why their latex masks are so hairy and don't look anything at all like Ronald Reagan.
Old 19 November 2012, 02:36 PM

Fright

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
How do you know it wasn't a 'squatch in a latex 'squatch mask? I think there are Bigfeet and they are smart enough to realize the best way to preserve their secret is to make it seem like a hoax. So they dress in very fake looking 'squatch suits and get photographed to discredit the tales of their existance.
Oh my god, that means I saw an actual Bigfoot on the side of the highway that one time. He was holding a sign about a big sale on imported Persian rugs. They've been hiding in plain sight all this time!!!

Oh and I just checked out Episode 1 Series 1 of Finding Bigfoot and at about the 26 minute mark they're interviewing an eyewitness who apparently saw a Bigfoot from just a few yards away and they completely dismiss his anecdotal evidence because it doesn't match up with their pre-conceived idea of what Bigfoot is supposed to look like. They're usually pretty darned unscientific in their 'investigations' but that was a new low.
Old 19 November 2012, 04:27 PM

You could try turning the show into a drinking game every time one of the crew says something unscientific, but you'd need a liver transplant after every episode.
Old 19 November 2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
It's freaking embarrassing to see that collection of idiots on the Animal Planet show go crashing around the woods with night vision cameras- they clearly have no idea what they're doing but the network keeps shilling them as if they're actual experts.
I doubt the network really thinks they're experts, or cares. The network thinks they make good TV. Its goal is to sell ads, not to advance science.
Old 19 November 2012, 05:09 PM

I didn't say that the network thought they were experts, I said the network shills them as if they were experts: they're being promoted as if they have actual experience and training that would qualify them to do the job that they lack.
Old 19 November 2012, 05:38 PM

Much as I'd like to believe that a gigantic ape roams North America, I just can't. As they used to say in the moom pichers, "Show me the monkey."
Old 19 November 2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
Much as I'd like to believe that a gigantic ape roams North America, I just can't. As they used to say in the moom pichers, "Show me the monkey."
Here's a trail cam photo of a Bigfoot standing about 2 or 3 feet in front of the camera, in perfect focus:
http://bigfootevidence.blogspot.com....oot-since.html
Um .... yeah.

This blog post talks about the extensive ananlysis that has gone into this image, including this:
Quote:
Some people have found letters within the image. Personally, I'm not sure if these are in fact letters, or if it's pixels. When a member of the ABS Directors looked at this issue he could see a skull and other things.
The baboon extra head lives!!!
Old 19 November 2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Here's a trail cam photo of a Bigfoot standing about 2 or 3 feet in front of the camera, in perfect focus:
Not Bigfoot. That's my Uncle Louie.
Old 19 November 2012, 06:44 PM

The real problem the bigfoot believers have is that it will take incredible evidence to back up such a claim (as it should).

If I was out hiking next month and just happened on a family of bigfoots by a brook and took hundreds of pictures and video it would be meaningless to most people cause they'd just call it fake (person in a suit, whatever). There is nothing I can do to prove them wrong about that.

Really the only proof that will possibly be useful is either a dead or alive bigfoot specimen that can be examined by science.
Old 19 November 2012, 10:40 PM

Icon27

Quote:
One hilarious aspect of Bigfoot 'research' is that there's an out-and-out war between all the different factions.
Yea. It's funny how the biggest battles aren't between skeptics and woo-woos but between different factions among woo-woos. This, of course, happened in the famous bigfoot thread here.

Brian
Old 19 November 2012, 10:47 PM

Oh, wow. I remember that thread. (I'm an old-timer here!) And I miss several of the snopesters who no longer post here, such as Barns & No Bull, when he wrote:
Quote:
No amount of words, no matter how they are strung together or convincing they may be - take the place of a real Bigfoot. The idea of Bigfoot is fun for people of all ages. But the lack of real physical evidence is where rational people must grapple with the reality of legends and the fascinating world of the human psyche. The will to believe in what we cannot know is both our greatest strength and our most profound weakness.

Last edited by Cervus; 19 November 2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 19 November 2012, 10:47 PM

Most skeptics realize the futility of arguing with woo.
Old 20 November 2012, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Either bigfoot, or one epic mullet.
Old 20 November 2012, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
Oh, wow. I remember that thread. (I'm an old-timer here!) And I miss several of the snopesters who no longer post here, such as Barns & No Bull, when he wrote:
I remember that thread too - and that particular poster (I guess I am an old-timer too). Barnes liked to debate with that guy. My recollection was that our Bigfoot friend was pretty out there too. I swore it was some sort of a troll or a joker of some sort. I swore that nobody could be that looney. Boy was I innocent....

ETA: I love what Snopes has to say back then:
Quote:
Quiz time:

Which of the following is known to exist?

a) Gorilla suits

b) Bigfoot

Which of the following is easier to film?

a) A man in a gorilla suit

b) A creature of which not a single specimen -- living or dead -- has ever been found by anyone, anywhere, at any time.
But the Barnes quote was much more poetic.

Last edited by diddy; 20 November 2012 at 04:57 AM.
Old 20 November 2012, 05:24 AM

I think I remember reading the first page or two of that thread back when I was a member here the first time (I had a different forum ID then).
Old 20 November 2012, 07:18 AM

GF and I saw the host of "Destination Truth" at Dragon*Con this year and even he listed Bigfoot and The Loch Ness Monster as stuff that he finds completely implausible when an audience member asked if there was any cryptology stuff that he totally thinks are bunk.

His point being that if a breeding population of either creature existed and nobody has yet found so much as a corps or a skeleton, yet alone a live specimen it doesn't really add up given how many people have been searching.

Of course I also got the impression that he doesn't believe most of the stuff they cover on the show either. The impression that I got was that he loves to travel to exotic places and so long as he's getting paid to do it he will pretend to take any local superstition seriously when the cameras are rolling.
Old 20 November 2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags View Post
Most skeptics realize the futility of arguing with woo.
Whenever I read something like this, I imagine a skeptic on one side, making a long, rational argument, and then on the other side someone waving his/her arms around shouting "Woooooooooooo!" like some five-year-old making "ghost noises."

...maybe I'm the only one who thinks like that.
Old 20 November 2012, 01:50 PM

Vanishing

I'm certain that's where the word "woo" comes from, shortened from "woo woo" -- the sound of a UFO or, alternatively, ghost. Or the legendary theremin.
Old 21 November 2012, 08:11 PM

Read This!

Well I guess no one told the state of New York that the Year of the Bigfoot is just around the corner ...

Quote:
Stomp on Bigfoot: New York’s official stance, 'no such animal anywhere in the world'

It's official: The state of New York does not believe in Bigfoot.

The Department of Environmental Conservation has politely rejected a citizen’s call for the state to develop regulations banning the hunting of Bigfoot, aka Sasquatch.

“The simple truth of the matter is that there is no such animal anywhere in the world,” the agency’s chief wildlife biologist Gordon Batcheller wrote, responding to the request by Peter Wiemer, of upstate Maywood. “I am sorry to disappoint you.”

The official added, ‘No program or action in relation to mythical animals is warranted.”
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1205391