snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 18 June 2011, 06:12 PM

Computer Things you shouldn't have to tell yourself

The reason you couldn't log on to YouTube on your new netbook?

Is because you were using your old keyboard. It won't work.

On a related note, you will get used to the smaller keyboard. It just takes time.
Old 23 June 2011, 01:06 PM

It's ok to say no sometimes. It's also very ok not to volunteer for things you don't want to do for people who didn't ask. This is how you ended up with a nativity in your living room, a mass at your wedding, and a seat in the pews every time your fiance's family has some religious event of some kind.

It's also how I ended up going to a little league game this week. I came home after a long day and I was looking forward to sitting down for a while. My fiance invited me to her nephew's game an hour away. I was worn out and didn't want to, and she said it was ok if I said no. I hemmed and hawed for a while and eventually decided I wouldn't go. She said that was fine.

I asked what she would tell her nephew, and she said "He needs to learn you can't always get what you want."

I mulled that over and decided it applied to me too. So I changed my mind and agreed to go. She said, "I wasn't talking about you," but I went anyway.

And of course I was tired and unhappy. When will I learn!?
Old 24 June 2011, 09:41 PM

Moose

If you are working on an engraving pattern and you decide to take a break before sending it to the engraver be sure to check it over again after you come back down stairs. A cat may have walked across your keyboard adding a multitude of l's, k's and i's.
Old 29 June 2011, 03:53 PM

when you are looking for a new container of coffee creamer in the break room where they are usually kept and you don't find any, looking several more times in the same place is not going to make it suddenly appear.
Old 01 July 2011, 07:43 PM

Icon81

Dawn, it's not a good idea to go several hours without eating.
You know how it makes you feel.
Old 02 July 2011, 07:58 AM

Sometimes I really, really don't need to describe things - they sort of describe themselves. I was naming colors in a picture I was working on according to the shade and use, "Couch Green" or "Robes Black" and whatnot. So I went to save the color I was using on a piece jewelery, and promptly named it "Gold Gold". >.<
Old 02 July 2011, 06:56 PM

Shower when you get home from the beach.
Old 02 July 2011, 10:15 PM

Icon108

Wear closed toed shoes when bicycling, ya idiot!
Old 03 July 2011, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman977 View Post
when you are looking for a new container of coffee creamer in the break room where they are usually kept and you don't find any, looking several more times in the same place is not going to make it suddenly appear.
No, no. This is the best way. You have know way of knowing the half-life of the proto-matter that coffee creamer has begun. It might just need 1 more minute/check before it returns to normal.
Old 10 July 2011, 12:50 PM

Making yourself (myself) deliberately miserable is silly. Don't do it. Instead of sat waiting all vigil-like for somebody to talk to me, I should be doing stuff - reading a book. Baking a cake. Going for a walk. Drawing. Anything, just not sat here feeling sorry for myself, however sorry for myself I may be.

Although similarly, when people reel me and and then throw me back, I shouldn't blame myself for feeling like a flailing fish. I've done nothing wrong and I should remember that!
Old 12 July 2011, 07:15 PM

When traveling someplace where the temperature is relatively cool, remember that you can still get sunburned and take suntan lotion with you. Or don't spend 3+ hours touring places outside when it's bright sun out.
Old 15 July 2011, 02:50 PM

1. Check the care instructions before you buy clothes.
2. SO grew up without a washing machine. She has said before that hand-washing clothes doesn't bother her. So you didn't need to test-wash that new skirt just to make sure it wouldn't be ruined.

Ramblin' "It wasn't ruined, so I dodged a half-price bullet" Dave
Old 17 July 2011, 02:49 PM

Read the rest of the blog post. 2 cups of sugar for cake with sweet cherries, when the blog talks about tart cherries (recipe itself just has "fresh cherries"), will lead to a very sweet upside down cherry/peach/nectarine cake.
Old 18 July 2011, 01:53 PM

You need to separate out the electrical cord from your hair straighteners before they get hot, woman! Electrical tape every two inches is not a good look.
Old 19 July 2011, 01:56 AM

That question the self-scanner asks is for you too, Ms. Superior, I-don't-have-to-check-my-cart-for-unscanned-items.

I got all the way to my car in the parking lot, before I realized that I had not paid for the cat litter and Iams Active Maturity Hairball Control on the bottom rack of the cart.

It is very, very embarrassing to walk in past the greeter, and explain that no, these are not returns, these are things I forgot to pay for, and now I would like to get back in line and pay for them.

This was supposed to be a really quick run to the store, too. And, of course, I was parked far away from the entrance.
Old 21 July 2011, 07:55 PM

Icon204

Opting to visit Oklahoma City in the middle of summer was not the most brilliant of choices.
Old 21 July 2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
That question the self-scanner asks is for you too, Ms. Superior, I-don't-have-to-check-my-cart-for-unscanned-items.

I got all the way to my car in the parking lot, before I realized that I had not paid for the cat litter and Iams Active Maturity Hairball Control on the bottom rack of the cart.

It is very, very embarrassing to walk in past the greeter, and explain that no, these are not returns, these are things I forgot to pay for, and now I would like to get back in line and pay for them.

This was supposed to be a really quick run to the store, too. And, of course, I was parked far away from the entrance.
Our self-scan machines don't ask that. I wish they did, because it would have saved me having to go back into the shop yesterday to pay for a hairband that had slid under the buggy we had balanced in the trolley.
Old 21 July 2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Opting to visit Oklahoma City in the middle of summer was not the most brilliant of choices.
There is a good time to visit Oklahoma City!?!?
Old 22 July 2011, 06:10 PM

The only thing keeping me going at the moment is the prospect of going to OKC next weekend. I seriously hope that the theatre is air-conditioned.
Old 22 July 2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
You were here and you didn't stop to say Hi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
The only thing keeping me going at the moment is the prospect of going to OKC next weekend. I seriously hope that the theatre is air-conditioned.
What are you going to see?
Closed Thread