snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Spook Central

Old 20 March 2016, 07:36 AM

Icon27 The Art of David Dees

Thanks to director Duncan Jones, who I follow on Twitter, I now know of an artist named David Dees, who specializes in conspiracy theory art. Here's a link to his very NSFW website:
ddees.com
As you'll see, it's pretty standard conspiracy theories that you can read on sites like InfoWars, World Net Daily, Rense.com, or BeyondTopSecret. Also, the fact that he believes in so many different conspiracy theories, including ones that contradict each other, is nothing unusual among conspiracy theorists. However, I find seeing these ideas presented visually both hilarious and terrifying at the same time. This one if my favorite:

As I read through the tweet Jones had retweeted I found more background on Dees. Here's a profile:
"How a Sesame Street Illustrator Became the Truther Scene's Golden Boy" Gawker 15 July 2015:
Quote:
Popular conspiracist personalities like Alex Jones and Jeff Rense regularly take advantage of Dees’ free-to-use illustrations. But it’s not just the big names; dozens if not hundreds of smaller sites blogging in the name of Truth (911blogger.com, Truth Alerts, The Hollow Earth Insider, and Real Jew News, to name but a few) also make use of his various frenzied hellscapes.

{ snip }

Perhaps it’s this attempt to hit every potentially offensive idea conspiracists have ever cooked up that makes the notion of David Dees as sincere so difficult to fathom: Surely no one man can truly believe all this? Maybe he’s in it for money.

But that’s where it gets interesting. David Dees truly, wholeheartedly believes in everything he draws, and what’s more, he doesn’t make a dime off nearly half the work he puts out. Instead, he does it all for the sake of Truth with a capital T.

And, as he explained to me over email, because the Zionists own the media.
Brian
Old 20 March 2016, 11:59 AM

I couldn't look through them all, but I feel like I need a shower.
Old 21 March 2016, 10:14 PM

His style kinda reminds me of a MAD Magazine cover.
Old 21 March 2016, 10:35 PM

I'd find the whole thing mildly amusing, if it weren't for the fact that so much of his Photoshopped crap contains pictures of kids. Hopefully he's using clip art sites as a source, and not stealing pictures of people's children off the internet.
Old 22 March 2016, 12:17 AM

I wondered about the provenance of his source images as well. Whether children or not, I could see lots of people being upset by their images being associated with the message of these collages if he harvested the images online rather than using licensed images.
Old 22 March 2016, 02:07 AM

The baby in that picture is from Shutterstock.
Old 22 March 2016, 02:22 AM

I'm not interested in going to the full website, but I have to say that the posted image is so over-the-top it's like a parody of itself.
Old 25 March 2016, 03:18 AM

Shifty Eyes

I've known about him for awhile. I can't even get angry, there's something kind of wonderful about how crazy they are. Though I do kinda wonder about him.

As it is, the "Shoe stacking conspiracy" makes me seriously concerned for his mental health.
Old 02 April 2016, 09:52 PM

Looks like the domain is suspended now.
Old 07 April 2016, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
Looks like the domain is suspended now.
It's back. Like the Illuminati could keep David Dees down!
Old 07 April 2016, 03:12 AM

Paranoid whacko conspiracy theories galore! Sometimes I think the Dead Milkmen were way ahead of their time with "Stuart." Of course, conspiracy nuts have always been around; they just didn't have the convenient platform of the internet. In that song, there's the impression that the narrator is a rambling idiot you might meet and promptly ignore. These days, he'd have his own website and YouTube channel, and prominent political candidates (if asked to comment on the conspiracy theory) would respond that they'd heard the rumors, and that they need to do their own research before responding, but hey, we can't rule anything out, and there's certainly something fishy going on there...