snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Spook Central

Old 11 November 2015, 11:05 AM

Default Illuminati card game

Here's the latest meme that seems to be everywhere - anyone actually bought the card game and know anything about this?

Here's where you can buy the card game
http://www.amazon.com/1995-Illuminat...rder+card+game
Old 11 November 2015, 03:06 PM

I don't get the 11 August reference. Looks like they're circling a couple of random pieces of wreckage.
Old 11 November 2015, 04:00 PM

Nothing is random when it comes to the Illuminati.
Old 11 November 2015, 04:55 PM

Well if *I* was part of a global conspiracy, i would definitely create a mass produced game detailing all the plans of that conspiracy -- and then name the game after the conspiracy to ensure people wouldn't connect them together....
Old 11 November 2015, 07:22 PM

Glasses

People who think like you, NDL, are proof the conspiracy is real. You're falling for the misdirection.

Seaboe
Old 11 November 2015, 08:02 PM

I have some Illuminati cards stored around the house someplace. Maybe I should have another look at them when I have the time. The cards look real in that is coloring and style of artwork on them. As for the pictures, nothing there was much of a prediction. Flesh eating bacteria was known about. There had been a car bomb attack on the World Trade Center in 1993. As a kid, how many times did you talk about bombing the Pentagon. As for the 2:55 and 11th someone is really stretching things to make that work.
Old 12 November 2015, 06:47 AM

The illustration is not meant to depict a bombing of the Pentagon, it's meant to symbolize that the Pentagon has a nuclear arsenal at its disposal.

As for the bombings of Pentagon and WTC, they are probably two of the four most likely targets for a large scale attack (the others being the White House and the Statue of Liberty), simply because of their iconic status.

One must, however, remember that Illuminati is not a game of bombings, it's a game of deception and subterfuge, of sneakyness and unexpected backstabs.

Seriously, anyone who actually has played the game will find any real world conspiracy theory connected to it ridiculous. That said, Steve Jackson is a fan of conspiracy theories, and has made several products based on them, most prominantly Illuminati and GURPS Illuminati. So, he draws heavily on conspiracy lore (and he is quite knowledeable on that subject) when making his games. He does, however, deny that he is closely related to Michael Jackson, so that one must be true...
Old 13 November 2015, 04:14 AM

Right after the 1984 World Science Fiction Convention, I wound up sharing my waterbed one evening with a young woman who had also attended the convention (we didn't meet there). When I woke up in the morning, she turned over, still half asleep, and muttered, "Steve Jackson is lying to you, Mr. Taft."

Naturally, therefore, I don't trust anything he says.

But, the version of the card game with which I am familiar was the much earlier version, with simple black-and-white artwork on the cards. So, no idea of the authenticity here.
Old 13 November 2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
But, the version of the card game with which I am familiar was the much earlier version, with simple black-and-white artwork on the cards. So, no idea of the authenticity here.
I have the later version in my shelf (Not my game though, someone left it there, and despite nagging, didn't get off his ass and collected it, so now, after maybe 7-8 years, I consider it mine...), and the images are authentic.

I don't remember the terrorist nuke card, but it's a long time since I played it, so that's probably just my memory that's off.

One funny thing which is claimed about that game is that, on every card, hidden somewhere in the image, is the Illuminati all-seeing pyramid. I don't know if it's true or not, but it certainly exists in many of the cards.
Old 13 November 2015, 12:09 PM

I remember two cards that made a interesting picture. The first was The President show a picture of Bill Clinton and the second was the First lady with a picture of Hillary Clinton. When he put then side by side you could clearly see Hillary was holding a leash that was attached to Bill's collar.

It was fun to look though the cards just to see if you can find the jokes.
Old 13 November 2015, 12:32 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singing in the Drizzle View Post
I remember two cards that made a interesting picture. The first was The President show a picture of Bill Clinton and the second was the First lady with a picture of Hillary Clinton. When he put then side by side you could clearly see Hillary was holding a leash that was attached to Bill's collar.

It was fun to look though the cards just to see if you can find the jokes.
I love Illumination; we used to have a blast playing it. That said I don't remember any of those cards but it has been 15 years and my memory isn't what it used to be.
Old 14 November 2015, 11:51 PM

I thought people were going to tell me this wasn't even a real card game. So it's a game where you pretend to be an illuminati?
Old 17 November 2015, 05:24 AM

Essentially. Each player starts as an Illuminati-type group, each of which has its own special power. You then attempt to build a 'power structure' by seizing control of various institutions and groups, which can be anything from the Pentagon and big corporations to political parties to various nut groups to extraterrestrials and mystical entities, and the first player to hit a certain point total wins. I don't recall the specific details, but of course it has lots of in-jokes, references to conspiracy theories, and assorted tinfoil-hat nonsense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illuminati_(game)
Old 14 February 2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Winston O'Boogie View Post
I don't get the 11 August reference. Looks like they're circling a couple of random pieces of wreckage.
I took the last one to be a reference to the 2012 London Olympics because they were talking about the Olympic colors. It was held between 27 July 2012 and 12 August 2012. I don't recall anything spectacular happening at them. Certainly not at 2:55 on the 11th. That would have been around the end of them.