snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Automobiles

Old 04 August 2013, 08:19 PM

Driver Urban legend no more: New-vintage Chevys up for auction

A collection of vintage Chevy cars and trucks are going up for auction. They've been stored for more than fifty years, and some of the new-vintage cars have fewer than 10 miles on them.

http://www.abc57.com/news/weird-news...217437871.html
Old 05 August 2013, 01:09 PM

While this is pretty neat, any buyer that goes there thinking that they will buy a "brand new 53 Chevy" will be in for a little bit of an awakening... Cars that sit for a long time usually won't be drivable until much has been repaired, re-lubed, verified, replaced, etc. Tires crack from age. Oil seals dry out. Wiring dries out. Gears rust from lack of oil coverage.

I bought & repaired a 1954 Jeep M38A1 that sat in a barn for 15 years. It wasn't pretty, even though there was no rust.

OY
Old 05 August 2013, 03:27 PM

Agreed--there may, or may not, be good bodies on the cars. But a car that sits has issues, and ones which sit for years, will have lengthy issues. If you tow it, and put new rubber--tires, wires, seals, and the rest, and replace the fluids before you start it, you might have an okay car. But, the expense!

Ali
Old 05 August 2013, 11:43 PM

There's a fairly big "survivor" movement in the collector car world, so most of that won't matter to the sort of person who would buy one of the low-mileage ones stored indoors. They're not buying a car to drive, they're buying a car to preserve. It'd get cleaned up, the fluids changed, and any mileage it accrues would be rolling on and off a trailer. Hell, they probably won't even get new tires, if the existing ones still hold air.

Judging from the photos I've seen, the ones that have been stored outside will most likely need full restoration anyway, if they're not beyond salvation. Leaving a car sitting in a field for decades is a really good way to ensure it never drives again.

FWIW, I've read about similar old small-town dealers that did the same thing-close down and sell off some cars that just sat in the warehouse for thirty years or whatever because they didn't sell off the lot and the owners didn't want to take a loss on them, and have shelves full of NOS parts from the 50's.
Old 05 August 2013, 11:52 PM

The expense I think is more a labour of love for collectors of old cars. If any of the mechanic friends had the money I'm sure a lot would love to restore those old cars up to factory specs, And to say once you're done, it only has 20 or so miles on it, adds greatly to the collectors value.
Old 06 August 2013, 10:56 PM

They're making reproduction bodys now for all of the tri-five chevys, so you can build a brand new one if you want.

they're also making repros for mustangs and camaros as well.
Old 08 August 2013, 06:23 PM

Well, I was at a local cruising some weeks ago, and after seeing hundreds of renovated american cars, most of them from the fifties, but some older and quite a few from the sixties and seventies as well, I have great confidence in the ability of the enthusiasts' ability to handle the problems associated with a vintage car.

By the way, if you are interested in vintage US cars, come to one of the big cruisings in Sweden in the summer. I know americans who have visited them and said that they saw more vintage US cars in a day than the saw in years in the US.
Old 28 September 2013, 05:01 PM

Icon605 The Urban Legend is True: Hundreds of Classic Chevys in Pierce, NE

People from around the world have gathered in the small town of Pierce, Nebraska, in the middle of a field just get to get a glimpse at history.

More than 450 classic cars parked side by side - some covered with dirt, broken glass and rust - but still worth a whole lot of money.

http://www.siouxlandnews.com/story/2...-auctioned-off
Old 01 October 2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troberg View Post
Well, I was at a local cruising some weeks ago, and after seeing hundreds of renovated american cars, most of them from the fifties, but some older and quite a few from the sixties and seventies as well, I have great confidence in the ability of the enthusiasts' ability to handle the problems associated with a vintage car.

By the way, if you are interested in vintage US cars, come to one of the big cruisings in Sweden in the summer. I know americans who have visited them and said that they saw more vintage US cars in a day than the saw in years in the US.
I was in Stockholm a few years ago with my wife and another couple. We were eating outside on a nice summer night when classic cars started cruising by. Totally unexpected for us. It was truly one of the most amazing things that I have ever seen and will never forget it.

dewey
Old 01 October 2013, 09:00 PM

Indy hosted a classic car show. Apparently, the Ne'er-do-wells figured it out and managed to steal at least four cars from various places around town.
http://www.indystar.com/article/2013...after-car-show
Old 01 October 2013, 09:15 PM

Some one once attempted to steal my rally car on the trailer and the truck while parked at a motel.

Last edited by RichardM; 01 October 2013 at 09:15 PM. Reason: spelling