snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 15 December 2018, 05:21 AM

Icon18

OK. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. Yeah, see that. I won't try to explain it beyond what you've probably already seen if you've watched the trailers (if you *haven't* watched the trailers, then *definitely* see it!). But...it's definitely a comic book movie.

(Yes, there's a post-credit scene. )
Old 15 December 2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
OK. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. Yeah, see that. I won't try to explain it beyond what you've probably already seen if you've watched the trailers (if you *haven't* watched the trailers, then *definitely* see it!). But...it's definitely a comic book movie.

(Yes, there's a post-credit scene. )
Haven't seen it yet, but it is going to be the last movie I see in the theater for 2018. Looks awesome!
Old 16 December 2018, 01:48 AM

A good friend is saying it's probably the best animated superhero film he's ever seen. It hasn't quite displaced The Incredibles for me, but that has sentimental inertia on it's side -- when I've seen Spider-Verse half a dozen times, then I can make a fair comparison.
Old 16 December 2018, 04:42 AM

Mouse

Allow me to join the chorus of Spiderverse praise. It may be the best answer animated movie this year. Itís aesthetic is stunning, as are its characters and story. And this movie somehow came from Sony Animation! I donít know whoís the brave soul who convinced Sony to give a shit about their animated movies, but bravo! May you have nothing but fortune and joy in your life.

Speaking of anonymous souls who deserve nothing but fortune and joy in life, I was given the privilege of seeing Aquaman before its release date on the 21st and I have to say WOW! I donít know what happened that led to us finally getting a good movie from the DCEU (Wonder Woman thus far being their only good one).

Did some brave anonymous soul convince DC that color and light are their friends, and are not inherently evil? Did some rich comic book fan donate a massive amount of lightbulbs, thus solving the crippling shortage the DCEU was suffering from?

Or maybe somebody accessed the mirrorverse and switched out the guys involved with the making of the DCEU in our universe with theirs? Since the mirrorverse is supposed to be the opposite of our reality, the mirrorverse DCEU staff is made up of people who know and understand that as ridiculous as they may seem, people like superheroes more or less when they are played straight. They also know that the fans like superhero movies as much for the spectacle as they do anything else. We want to believe a man can fly.

The movie is a visual delight from beginning to end, overflowing with riotous beauty even during grim battle scenes. Nearly every scene is pretty enough to be worth printing, framing, and hanging on your wall.

I have to admit that it took me a little longer to warm up to the titular character. Itís a hangup leftover from the Justice League movie where he was such a sleaze, I wondered if wherever he went, Aquaman left a trail of Axe Body Spray. Admittedly for a good chunk of the movie I was like, ďWhy donít we just give Meera the bitching trident and solve things? She seems a lot more on the ball and would probably make a better monarch than this lazy boor who is constantly going ĎI donít want to be King.íĒ

It wasnít until when the characters were around Sicily that I was able to take him more seriously as a superhero. He is still all ďI donít want to be King!Ē but this time itís more about how he is brutally aware of his shortcomings and doesnít see himself as strong and capable of bearing the responsibilities inherent in ruling the largest kingdom on Earth, as opposed to before when his objections seemed to be born more out of laziness: he enjoys effing up pirates, but doesnít really want to do anything with his life beyond drinking, swimming, and effing up jerkwads.

Once again, it underscores how badly DC screwed up by just jumping straight to the massive team-up, unlike Marvel which made sure to introduce the characters via their own movies before throwing them together. Because while this movie is good, when it comes to arcs, it feels somewhat out of place. The movie has a clear arc where Aquaman goes from being a guy just bumming around to someone willing to take on and bear the responsibilities of being a hero and a king. From there, it would make sense that if there was some major crisis necessitating the big team-up, he would be willing to step up. Plus then the big climatic battle in Justice League might have included a eldritch horror. Krakens are something that can and should be brought to any fight.

I hope DCEU is actually showing some promise and I hope they keep it up. I would actually be willing to see a sequel to this movie, because then they can skip the Intro and cut straight to the plot.

Now I wonder what would happen if some charitable soul finally gave Zack Snyder the tripod he so desperately needs.
Old 16 December 2018, 06:14 AM

I'd prefer seeing someone who isn't a raging objectivist who's openly expressed contempt for idealistic heroes be put in charge.
Old 17 December 2018, 01:46 AM

Mouse

Well if DC is going to continue to have Zack Snyder direct their films in defiance of all logic, maybe we could at least get him a tripod and convince him that light is his friend and he shouldnít be afraid of it, so his movies will be more tolerable to look at. Thatís one of the things that got me regarding Man of Steel, how relentlessly unpleasant it is to merely look at it, never mind watch it. I could rant for ages about how much I hate this movie, but when I canít enjoy the basic act of watching the film, you know the director has failed. Itís one of the perks of the silver screen: even bad movies usually manage to be pretty to look at.

There are two directors who seem to receive a steady hate-on from the Internet: Zack Snyder and Michael Bay. I hate both, but if I was in a pick-your-poison scenario regarding either of them for whatever reason, I would take the oeuvre of Michael Bay over Snyder.

Have to admit a chief reason is that Michael Bay doesnít give a NFBSK. Bay is making films not because he has some deep artistic statement; he makes them because he canít have enough solid gold humvees. Aside from his occasional plays at respectability, he doesnít care whether you like his films.

Itís strange but I actually find this attitude more tolerable than Snyder, who, in the face of criticism, immediately starts whining about how his movies are so deep and you just donít get it. Honest, outright stupidity is easier to tolerate than the kind of stupidity where someone thinks theyíre smart, but no, theyíre actually really stupid.

Also, for all his faults, Bay delivers on the pyrotechnics and whether you admit it or not, thereís a primitive part inside all of us who drools with delight as shit blows up.
Old 17 December 2018, 02:07 AM

Yeah, Bay is upfront that he's just making the kind of movies that he likes. He doesn't pretend there's any depth to them and he generally isn't a jerk about criticism.