snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 05 November 2018, 10:47 PM

Ponder

What does that mean "just a square"? The artists somehow managed to project only a geometrical shape without anything else?? That truly would be an amazing work of art, as well as a physical impossibility. (Although I have contemplate how an artist like Yoko Ono might have somehow managed that... So you have given her very valuable, and non-existent, work of art to me!)

It's like "Before I walked into a 19th century art museum I predicted at least one would be a rectangle in a gaudy frame and every last one of them was." Amazing.
Old 05 November 2018, 10:58 PM

Black Square
Old 05 November 2018, 11:09 PM

It's hip to be square.
Old 05 November 2018, 11:29 PM

That you could look at that and see "just a square" is itself an amazing feat of abstract thought. Even the color, right there in the name, had disappeared. Never mind the medium, the dimensions, the placement, the surface, the texture...

I want to say that's sad - especially for the kids if they were told that's what it was - but I suppose it is no more so than someone telling them The Birth of Venus is 'just a naked woman on a shell'. It's not true but being able to see it that way is not necessarily a bad thing. Just empty. I mean, 'just an empty thought'. Which is amazing.
Old 06 November 2018, 12:03 AM

My kids are adults. They took the comment as tongue-in-cheek as they know how I feel about modern art. I mentioned the comment because it echos the comic Richard posted.
Old 06 November 2018, 01:48 AM

Adults or not, it's out of line for me to say anything about that. I should know better. I didn't mean to imply it was a bad or wrong thing to say. (I know your kids are adults. I thought you meant some other 'my kids'.)

I guess what I'm saying is that I think that is a very precious point of view if it's given more effort.

I feel that viewers and critics tend to be the ones far more likely to think, rather cynically IMO, that they don't have to make much effort to get the benefits of the art.