snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 24 October 2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
According to one of the commenters that's how the Japanese pronounce it.
I think Japanese pronunciation tends to stress the syllables more evenly than English does. We (as English-speakers in general, so across international accents) would tend to stress one or more of the syllables, often either the first or last. In "Subaru" I would stress both the first and last, and the middle syllable gets a bit lost.

So if the Japanese pronunciation doesn't involve any particular stress, it would sound to us as though they were stressing the middle syllable.
Old 25 October 2018, 12:38 AM

I recall that Subaru asked the marketing managers in each country how it should be pronounced in their country. Thus American (as in the USA) got a different pronunciation than did other English speaking countries. Of course, the Japanese did not know that the USA marketing manager was from Lapland.
Old 25 October 2018, 01:43 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink

kitapr?
Ha! No. Mariter instead of Marita.
Old 25 October 2018, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
So if the Japanese pronunciation doesn't involve any particular stress, it would sound to us as though they were stressing the middle syllable.
Yeah, I think that's it exactly. There may be a slight accent in there in some words but very flat in most cases.
Old 25 October 2018, 10:59 PM

On the subject of regionalisms, the brand name Robitussin.

I normally pronounce it "row-bi-tus-sin" with the accent on the tus.

In the Philippines, the more common pronunciation was "row-bit-ta-sin" with the accent on the bit.
Old 26 October 2018, 03:08 AM

I pronounce it with the accent on the Ro. Roh -bit-us-in.

I have no idea whether that's a regionalism or just me being weird, though. While I've occasionally bought the stuff, I don't think I've ever asked for it by name.
Old 26 October 2018, 01:58 PM

No

While we're discussing pronunciation of the same thing in different countries, as someone who grew up in a house where many people spoke Polish I'm always amused by Americans who put too many syllables into consonant-heavy Polish words and names. When Zbigniew Brzezinski was National Security Advisor, many newspeople pronounced his name za-BIG-new, when it's ZBIG-nyef, with the initial sound kind of like the middle of "buzZBomb". Related is when English speakers don't even attempt to pronounce letters the way they're pronounced in the native tongue. On Jeopardy! the other day, Alex Trebek (known for his accurate pronunciation of French and other languages) pronounced the Polish city of Łdź (spelled "Lodz", without diacritical marks, on the game board) as if it were an English word, when it's actually pronounced something like "woodge".
Old 26 October 2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasFink View Post
When Zbigniew Brzezinski was National Security Advisor, many newspeople pronounced his name za-BIG-new, when it's ZBIG-nyef, with the initial sound kind of like the middle of "buzZBomb".
I don't think I could help but pronounce it wrong. That is, if the name ends with an f sound instead of a w sound, I could manage that; but I never learned to, and don't think I now can, wrap my mouth around "zb" in a way that doesn't introduce either a vowel or a syllable break inbetweed the z and the b. I'd pronounce "buzzbomb" like two separate words; there's a pause inbetween the syllables.
Old 26 October 2018, 02:43 PM

Presumably you can say "sp-" words like "Spanish" or "spelling" though? "Zb-" doesn't seem much different from those, to me - at least if you can say one, you should be able to say the other; you're just making both sounds a little harder.
Old 26 October 2018, 03:12 PM

Glasses

Quote:
pronunciation of the same thing in different countries.
This is why attempts to force English to use phonetic spelling fail. Because the phonetics would represent only one pronunciation, and for just about every word, there are many.

Seaboe
Old 26 October 2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Presumably you can say "sp-" words like "Spanish" or "spelling" though? "Zb-" doesn't seem much different from those, to me - at least if you can say one, you should be able to say the other; you're just making both sounds a little harder.
Sounds kind of logical; but it just doesn't work.

-- what's happening between 's' and 'p' seems to be just that my lips close. Other portions of my mouth move between 'z' and 'b'.
Old 26 October 2018, 03:27 PM

Glasses

Theoretically (because, as Thorny said, it doesn't work that way for everyone), the only differences between s and z is that the latter is voiced and the former is not (i.e., your vocal chords are involved). Same with p and b.

Seaboe
Old 26 October 2018, 03:42 PM

Richard W's "sp" point is a good one. If you say Spig-nyeff you're much closer to saying it correctly than with the extra syllable.
Old 26 October 2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
How do you pronounce the car brand "Hyundai". In the US, I usually hear it as "Hun-die"* but in Australia it was "H-yun-die". Hyundai themselves aren't much help as they seem to tailor the pronunciation to the region.

* Oddly enough, also a WWI slogan.
The pronunciation in Korean is Hyun-day. Samsung is pronounced Sawm-sung in Korea but not in North American ads.
Old 26 October 2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
While we're discussing pronunciation of the same thing in different countries, as someone who grew up in a house where many people spoke Polish I'm always amused by Americans who put too many syllables into consonant-heavy Polish words and names.
Another way to describe that would be "people struggling to reproduce an entirely unfamiliar sound." I'm sure you don't actually ridicule people who are making a good faith effort, but imagine a native English speaker posting how they're "always amused" by non-native speakers' attempts at pronouncing the language.
Old 26 October 2018, 04:31 PM

I've heard some people from the UK pronounce the word "clerk" to sound like "clark". Do they also pronounce "herd" the same as "hard"?
Old 26 October 2018, 05:06 PM

There's a similar issue with the name Knut, which winds up with either too many syllables or a silent K when typically pronounced in English. In Norwegian, the K is pronounced, but an extra syllables is not introduced. In English, it usually winds up as either "Newt" or "Canewt." I recognize, though, that 1) Americans typically have to choose one of those because they can't hear and/or pronounce the subtle difference, and b) if the person with the name Knut is not Scandinavian, one of those pronunciations may well be correct because it is how the person pronounces their name.

This page has a pronunciation that is close to the Norwegian one, and then a pronunciation of "Canute" at the bottom of the page, for anyone curious to hear the difference. https://www.dictionary.com/browse/knut
Old 26 October 2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Related is when English speakers don't even attempt to pronounce letters the way they're pronounced in the native tongue.
That reminds of when I went to Germany about a decade ago. At the time my sister was living there and learning to speak German, and since she was learning the language she pronounced the name of the Berlin subway system, the U-Bahn, the correct German way. Rendered in English it would be something like "OO-Bahn", the "oo" pronounced like in "goo" or "too". When we were walking around we happened to overhear a couple of other American tourists, who called the U-Bahn "that U thing", pronouncing the U the English way, like "you". Knowing how it was supposed to be pronounced it really grated on me.
Old 26 October 2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Another way to describe that would be "people struggling to reproduce an entirely unfamiliar sound." I'm sure you don't actually ridicule people who are making a good faith effort, but imagine a native English speaker posting how they're "always amused" by non-native speakers' attempts at pronouncing the language.
Actually I am sometimes amused by that, too. (And I am a native English speaker, and one who doesn't speak Polish well at all.) In neither case am I ridiculing the person trying to make an effort, or even the person who doesn't realize there's an effort to be made. It's just interesting to see how people try to pronounce written words (not reproduce a sound they heard) and to what extent they succeed. For someone like me who has a slightly better idea how some of those words are pronounced, it can bring a smile. I am also amused by my own inability to do the same; I have a horrible time trying to figure out where the syllable breaks are in some Indian and Thai names, for example.
Old 26 October 2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
There's a similar issue with the name Knut, which winds up with either too many syllables or a silent K when typically pronounced in English. In Norwegian, the K is pronounced, but an extra syllables is not introduced. In English, it usually winds up as either "Newt" or "Canewt." I recognize, though, that 1) Americans typically have to choose one of those because they can't hear and/or pronounce the subtle difference, and b) if the person with the name Knut is not Scandinavian, one of those pronunciations may well be correct because it is how the person pronounces their name.

This page has a pronunciation that is close to the Norwegian one, and then a pronunciation of "Canute" at the bottom of the page, for anyone curious to hear the difference. https://www.dictionary.com/browse/knut
I can absolutely tell the difference between the pronunciation of Knut there and the linked pronunciation of Canute. However, I wouldn't say that the pronunciation of Knut was a single syllable. That's a strange little quirk. (On my part, I mean).