snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 20 October 2018, 04:20 AM

Default Prep student kicked out for being too young

https://m.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/...chool/3553218/

Iíd quote it, but I canít because News Corp seems to have a monopoly on this story.
Old 20 October 2018, 05:16 AM

For context: “Prep” in this case is the first grade of Primary School, also known as “Reception” or “Kindergarten”.
Old 20 October 2018, 03:54 PM

Also, the link says this is a subscription only site.
Old 20 October 2018, 04:09 PM

Yes, I'm also getting a subscription-only site.

There's routinely a minimum age for starting school, at least around here, so I don't see why it's even a story if a school's rejecting a child for not being old enough to start the equivalent of kindergarten yet. Did the parent(s)/guardian(s) lie about the child's age to get them admitted early, and then get found out? Is there not a standard minimum age where the school is?

ETA: Thanks for the clarification; "prep school" around here would be a college preparatory school, generally a private one (family has to pay for it, not directly publicly supported, most people don't go to one) and would be for teenage or primarily teenage students.
Old 20 October 2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Also, the link says this is a subscription only site.
Yeah...unfortunately for everyone here, I'm a libtard snowflake (that's the proper term, right?) and only read real newspapers like the Sydney Morning Herald and the Washington Post and only watch ABC News.

I did however manage to find the Channel Nine News coverage (unfortunately, not everyone seems to think that news programs should be accessible to all). The general gist is that because her fifth birthday falls in this month (four months after the cutoff date of June 30), the Government is not going to re-enrol her, despite the part where this is likely to have a damaging effect on her psyche. (Also, I am to understand that this has happened to eight students over the past two years).

ETA: The problem is that she's already been at school. She was at school for six months before the bungle was corrected.

Last edited by Jusenkyo no Pikachu; 20 October 2018 at 05:03 PM.
Old 20 October 2018, 06:00 PM

And this is being blamed on the school? Was it not clear how old a child has to be to be enroll? We're they confused? Or did they just decide not to follow the rules and then blame the school for not catching them sooner?
Old 20 October 2018, 06:11 PM

Eight students at the same school?

Are people routinely lying in order to get their kids into kindergarten early? And if so, why? Problems with daycare availability/affordability? An attempt to push their children into early maturity?

It can be damaging to the psyche to get stuck into school with children who are significantly older than you, and then to be expected to keep up. This can be true even for precocious kids, because children who are precocious academically may not be so socially and/or physically, and those who are precocious socially may not be so academically and/or physically, and so on. I expect there are occasional children who actually are ready for school younger than everybody else, but there really is a reason for minimum ages.

-- I think a lot of us here don't usually read the Sidney Morning Herald because we're nowhere near Sidney. It's got nothing to do with its politics -- I don't even know what its politics are. And, while there are a near-infinite number of sites that would like me to pay their subscription fees, I have a limited amount of money.
Old 21 October 2018, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
And this is being blamed on the school? Was it not clear how old a child has to be to be enroll? We're they confused? Or did they just decide not to follow the rules and then blame the school for not catching them sooner?
The news segment didnít cover who was to actually blame or where the other students were. Sadly, thanks to my not wanting to give News Corp any money, Iím as in the dark as you are
Old 21 October 2018, 01:51 AM

Ponder

Eh... why refer to an article even you can’t read? What is there to discuss? Maybe the reason you can’t find anyone else carrying to story is because, as posited by others here, it’s a non-story?
Old 21 October 2018, 02:24 AM

I was kinda hoping someone else could help.
Old 21 October 2018, 03:23 AM

Help with what, exactly?
Old 21 October 2018, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusenkyo no Pikachu View Post
Yeah...unfortunately for everyone here, I'm a libtard snowflake (that's the proper term, right?)
From your posting history, I find that somehat difficult to accept as true.
Quote:
and only read real newspapers like the Sydney Morning Herald and the Washington Post and only watch ABC News.
From your posting history, I know for a fact that this is not true.
Old 21 October 2018, 07:16 AM

...considering that Q&A and BTN (which both feature in my posting history) are ABC programs…(and actually, ABC News is in fact the only news show I tend to watch)...plus that one thread I made on soapbox YouTubers features only leftists

Also, last I checked my posting of conservative sources tends toward “what is the reasoning?”. Like, the Right claims that the Left has made Pop Culture into a dumpster fire, but then they simultaneously claim that comedy is dying because the Left hasn’t made it into a dumpster fire.
Old 21 October 2018, 09:43 PM

I didn't say you don't watch or read them. You said that you only watch them or read them, which can't be close to true when so much of what you post here (thankfully less conservative extremist click-bait than before but it's still in there), and comment about, is from other sources.

"What is the reasoning" is one of the ways these sites and sources have gained so much (IMO undeserved) legitimacy because it makes (what I personally consider to be) extreme views seem worth debating - just another side of the aisle. I just can't figure out if you know what you're doing or if it's unintentional. But ones personal views aren't really what matters.