snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Doctor Is In

Old 10 July 2014, 12:07 PM

Icon81 How low can my thyroid levels go?

My thyroid meds have been adjusted--again. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism back in 2008 (what caused that anyway?) and for a few years, I was fine with Dose X. Earlier this year, or late last year, the dose X became Dose Y and now it's Dose Z. I'll go back to the doc in about 6 weeks so she can recheck my thyroid levels. Hopefully things have stabilized and I will not need another adjustment. I feel like I'm already halfway to becoming a cretin--if my thyroid levels get any lower, I'll be comatose! It does explain why I've been so dead-dog exhausted though.
Old 10 July 2014, 12:10 PM

AIUI, that's a pretty normal course for hypothyroidism. As my doctor put it, "your thyroid is wearing out."

In people who haven't had treatment for thyroid cancer, my understanding is it's an auto-immune disease, but I don't know that we fully understand why it happens. Anecdotally, I sure know a lot of people who have it.

ETA: I try to concentrate on how lucky I am to have this instead of one of the much worse autoimmune diseases, and to live in a time when I can just a take a pill every day to address the issue.
Old 10 July 2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
ETA: I try to concentrate on how lucky I am to have this instead of one of the much worse autoimmune diseases, and to live in a time when I can just a take a pill every day to address the issue.
This is true.

Dawn--hey, I'm normal in one respect!--Storm
Old 10 July 2014, 12:51 PM

Zero? Or is it a trick question?
Old 10 July 2014, 01:02 PM

That would be bad.
Old 10 July 2014, 07:51 PM

With no thyroid, I figure that's where I'll be a month into the zombie apocalypse.
Old 10 July 2014, 08:19 PM

I get a bit paranoid about that. I have a little extra from when my prescription was changed just after I picked up a refill. I kept looking at it thinking this is silly I should just pitch it. Then my endocrinologist left the practice suddenly. I still had a few months on my thyroid meds but I don't get in to see the new endo until November. I might need to dip into my supply.
Old 11 July 2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aud 1 View Post
I might need to dip into my supply.
Do be careful! I had held on to an old bottle of my old prescription for the same reason, and mentioned it to my doctor in passing at one of my check ups. She warned me that because the pills were just pressed powder I could easily fish out a pill covered in the remains of others that had broken down over time. Because levothyroxine is such a tiny dose in the greater scheme of things, and because the range between therapeutic dosage and dangerous overdose is rather small, she said it's really not worth the risk. I pitched mine, but if yours are coated it sounds like it wouldn't be an issue.

As for zombies, I once asked something similar over in Stupid Questions, and wound up with a slew of suggestions, my favorite of which was "raid a pharmacy, everyone's going to be going for the other stuff anyway!" Can you just see someone in a black ski mask, wielding a zombie-fied shotgun, demanding that you put your hands in the air and hand over all the ... thyroid medication?
Old 11 July 2014, 12:17 PM

It's a whole different kind of drug-seeking.
Old 11 July 2014, 01:48 PM

I've been doing the FIFO (first in first out) thing with the pills.