snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Wild Kingdom

Old 04 August 2018, 04:03 AM

Default Dog Memory

I know dogs have reasonably long memories so does my Poodlely one have a problem? Asta is 12 and a standard Poodle, or at least we and the vets who have seen her think so. She was a complete rescue in that we found her at about 6 months old in the middle of the road under the front bumper of the truck. She had not been hit at all as I stopped in time.

Any way, for the past several years, she and her late 'sister' Hannah, an Australian shepherd have been given a pig's ear as a treat at the start of 'Wheel of Fortune." When the chant comes on, they get their treat. This has continued since Hannah's passing last summer and Asta has always reacted. During the early part of July, we left Asta in a boarding facility for 8 days. Since she got home on the 27th of July, she hasn't been reacting to the chant. She seems to be improving a little but still, it is a little concerning that she seems to have forgotten about getting a treat when the Wheel chant comes on.

By the way, good vibes are requested. Asta goes in for surgery to remove a lump on her side this coming Monday.
Old 04 August 2018, 04:39 AM

Has she ever been boarded before? She may be readjusting to stress or depression about having been left there. (That doesn't mean the boarding facility is bad or erred in any way, but some pets just don't do well being boarded.)
Old 04 August 2018, 02:31 PM

Yes, at the same facility. But only for up to 4 days. This was the longest time to have been boarded. Before we moved, we had a sitter come in.
Old 04 August 2018, 06:11 PM

Our dog is a mutt, but every time we let him out, he comes right back in because he's forgotten his keys.
Old 04 August 2018, 08:15 PM

Dogs can develop cognition issues as they age, so it is possible she is experiencing some of that. 12 is old for a large breed. One of my show friends put her 12 year old Belgian Sheepdog (finished breed champion, obedience, herding, and agility titled) on Purina Bright Mind food when she started exhibiting some senior cognition issues and she says it's really helped.

She may just need time to adjust after being boarded. Seniors may not bounce back from a change in routine as quickly as a younger dog. But it wouldn't hurt to mention it to your vet as well when you get a chance. Good luck to her on her upcoming procedure!
Old 04 August 2018, 09:47 PM

I wish I could easily change here food. She has gotten very picky about what she wants to eat. Last night I had to open 3 different cans of food before she picked one. Then this morning she eagerly ate one that she had rejected last night. You know how fussy about food the French are.

And thanks for the good wishes.
Old 04 August 2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Last night I had to open 3 different cans of food before she picked one. Then this morning she eagerly ate one that she had rejected last night.
I think your dog is turning into a cat.

-- good luck with the surgery, and also with the cognitive issues, if she does have them.
Old 05 August 2018, 03:54 AM

I think she is taking cat lessons on Hulu TV during the day when I am out running errands.
Old 05 August 2018, 04:01 AM

Good thoughts coming your way on both issues, Richard.
Old 05 August 2018, 03:35 PM

Sending good luck vibes from MD.
Old 06 August 2018, 03:12 PM

Glasses

My initial reaction was to wonder whether she's having hearing issues.

Seaboe
Old 07 August 2018, 12:59 AM

And she's home. After getting a small drink of ice water and wandering around the living room for 30 minutes looking a little shell shocked, she managed to make it up on the sofa and is curled up. The incision on her side is about 8" long.
Old 07 August 2018, 04:25 AM

Mouse

I've often wondered to what extent our dogs and kitties remember. They probably don't remember being newborns, but do they remember the first eight weeks they probably spent with their mom and littermates? I also wonder about other stuff.

One time, when our Boomer-dog was still young and spirited, one night I was trying to get him to come inside the house to rest, but he wouldn't. When I went outside, I discovered he had a possum in his mouth. He was swinging it around like crazy and I had to chase him down in the dark, before I got him to drop it and dragged Boomer inside.

At the time, it was too dark to search the yard, but my mom went out in the morning and didn't see any dead animals so the possum was likely, well, playing possum. Probably got up and went on its merry way once Boomer was out of the way.

I've always wondered if my dog would have any memory of that moment or if it wouldn't be as memorable to him as it was to me.
Old 07 August 2018, 04:41 AM

I know from the times my dogs have managed to get various wild animals that I then made them give up, they went to the spot where I made them drop their catch for several days.
Old 07 August 2018, 06:26 AM

our Labrador would know it meant when Mum packed her suit case and would get the sulks.
Old 07 August 2018, 03:38 PM

Years ago, I had a dog who once succeeded in catching a squirrel.

I opened the door for her in the morning, and she made a mad dash at full speed and caught the squirrel on the ground between the house and a large tree before it could get back up into the tree.

For years after that, every time I let her out in the morning, she ran immediately in that direction, just in case there was a squirrel on the ground again.

-- My sister's family determinedly brings their dog here every Thanksgiving, even though the dog is clearly terrified of long car trips. She's presumably afraid of them because she still remembers being shipped off from place to place before they adopted her, even though it's now been, I can't remember, probably eight or ten years*. But she also clearly remembers my place from year to year, and that she doesn't get abandoned here; she always looks relieved when she gets here.

*yikes, I just realized, she must be getting to be an Old Dog; she was adult when they got her. I don't think of her as an Old Dog, and I suspect her humans don't either.
Old 08 August 2018, 03:33 PM

Back when we had Hershey he would pick up a golf ball on our morning walk. a guy on our street would hit balls into the pond and some of his shots would not clear the fence. Hershey would drop it in some random spot and then immediately go to that spot to retrieve it when we again walked that way.

Our current old girl (16) would hide treats or toys when she first came to live with us. We were at least her third home. I did not realize this and put a treat she had hidden back in her bowl. She was quite upset when she went back to get her hidden treasure and it was gone.

We are also quite sure she remembers her stints at the shelter. She reacts to television commercials showing dogs in need of homes.
Old 08 August 2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo Bob View Post
We are also quite sure she remembers her stints at the shelter. She reacts to television commercials showing dogs in need of homes.
Our cat had given birth very young while at the shelter (she was pregnant when she was taken in). I'm not sure whether the babies were adopted out or destroyed.
We were watching something like "Too Cute Kittens" and had separate speakers that were on the ground. Every time she heard the kittens cry she would come poke around near the speakers, looking for the kittens that needed something. It was kind of heartbreaking to watch. I've never seen another cat react that way- interest, maybe, but she really seemed worried about them.
Over the years her reaction to the sounds has decreased. I guess she realized they're never going to be hers
Old 08 August 2018, 11:31 PM

Well, Asta is learning a new trick. She knows it is not right to try and chew/lick her incision because I holler at her when she tries.

So how can I post a photo? I got one of her with a tee shirt on as recommended by the vet and the cone of shame as is required.