snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 04 August 2018, 04:02 AM

Why not just call it a bean bag toss?
Old 04 August 2018, 06:10 AM

Because it has a name?
Old 05 August 2018, 09:36 AM

Mouse

Someone on my FB friends list posted about how her partner had brought home a wild possum that had been hit by a car "so that it could die feeling comforted in his arms". If I'd seen the post earlier I would have pointed out that holding it in his arms would have stressed it out rather than being any sort of comfort, he should have placed it in a warm dark place (box covered with a blanket or something) and called a wildlife rescue hotline for advice.
Old 05 August 2018, 10:28 AM

Throw Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
Why not just call it a bean bag toss?
I prefer "hacky sack for hand with a toss hole too."

To Gutter Monkey: in America I’d have advised them to undergo a battery rabies shots, but then I guess you don’t have rabies down under. Still...
Old 05 August 2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
Someone on my FB friends list posted about how her partner had brought home a wild possum that had been hit by a car "so that it could die feeling comforted in his arms". If I'd seen the post earlier I would have pointed out that holding it in his arms would have stressed it out rather than being any sort of comfort, he should have placed it in a warm dark place (box covered with a blanket or something) and called a wildlife rescue hotline for advice.
Cat: "Look, I found this little mouse which is unfortunately now dying. I am cute and cuddly and I'm going to hold it here in my teeth and claws to comfort it. Oh no, it's escaped! Come back and be comforted, little mouse! That's better."
Old 06 August 2018, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
As the resident immature idiot I can assure you I had no such intentions
Speaking of low levels of maturity, one of NPR's sponsors is the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. Every time I hear them announce that, I just think "huh huh, he said 'wood johnson'".
Old 06 August 2018, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
To Gutter Monkey: in America Iíd have advised them to undergo a battery rabies shots, but then I guess you donít have rabies down under. Still...
Fun fact: Possums are one of the only mammals who are extremely unlikely to contract or carry rabies. It's thought that their body temperature is too low for the virus to survive in them. I only learned this in the past two years working for a vet.
Old 06 August 2018, 02:18 PM

Cervus:

I did not know that. When I was groing up in Southeastern Ohio, we were always taught to stay far awaf from oppossums because they were "known as one of the greatest carriers of rabies."
BW
Old 06 August 2018, 03:39 PM

Glasses

Opossums can't give you rabies, but watch out for armadillos, which can give you leprosy.

Seaboe
Old 06 August 2018, 04:01 PM

Seaboe:

Did not know that either. I'm learning all kinds of new things today.

BW
Old 07 August 2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
I prefer "hacky sack for hand with a toss hole too."

To Gutter Monkey: in America Iíd have advised them to undergo a battery rabies shots, but then I guess you donít have rabies down under. Still...
Mum got scratched by one our resident possums once and she went to her GP. He didn't give her a rabies shot, obviously, but he did give her something "Just in case". Was it a tetanus shot? Maybe but it was over 20 years ago so I am not sure. It was only after she was scratched by one though. They had lived in our backyard and ate our vegetable scraps for years. The dog hated them.
Old 07 August 2018, 07:53 AM

Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Opossums can't give you rabies, but watch out for armadillos, which can give you leprosy.

Seaboe
No kidding? I always thought you had to get leprosy from a leopard, kind of like how it takes a zombie make a zombie. Why else would they call those afflicted "leopards"?
Old 07 August 2018, 03:14 PM

Glasses

Please check your hearing, ASL. There's no D, which is how you know big cats are not involved.

ETA: does everyone reading this know what a Moving Van looks like? If you don't, I've linked to a picture of one. Now, imagine a Seattle residential street. Barely 3.5 cars wide, with parking on both sides, and just about every intersection has a traffic circle in the middle (often with a tree). Who in their right minds would drive a moving van down such a street, and then try to turn a corner? Well, I didn't get to meet the crew, but I did get to watch them try at least twice to get around the corner before giving up, backing back down the street--including across an arterial during rush hour--and making a left turn onto the arterial.

Seaboe

Last edited by Seaboe Muffinchucker; 07 August 2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07 August 2018, 04:25 PM

I imagine that crew is not praising GPS right now.
Old 07 August 2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
He didn't give her a rabies shot, obviously, but he did give her something "Just in case". Was it a tetanus shot? .
When checking in with the medical unit at the beginning of our overseas assignment in 2006, we all got a rabies vaccine - one shot.
Old 07 August 2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
imagine a Seattle residential street. Barely 3.5 cars wide, with parking on both sides, and just about every intersection has a traffic circle in the middle (often with a tree). Who in their right minds would drive a moving van down such a street
Given that it's a residential street, I'd expect moving vans to have to get down it from time to time. Does Seattle expect nobody to ever move? or do they expect them to unload the moving van into several smaller vehicles, or possibly a large number of hand trucks, somewhere out on a main street? are loading docks provided in each neighborhood at which to do this?

-- admittedly, we've got people around here living on roads you couldn't get that van down, or at any rate probably couldn't get it back up again. But those are private roads, their existence grandfathered from back when the places on them were summer cottages nobody expected to be able to get a moving van to.
Old 07 August 2018, 05:39 PM

I wouldn't think an older San Francisco residential neighborhoods to have houses large enough to require that size moving van. That's the kind of van you'd see for a 3 - 4,000 square foot house and older neighborhoods seem to be significantly smaller than that.
Old 07 August 2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
No kidding? I always thought you had to get leprosy from a leopard, kind of like how it takes a zombie make a zombie. Why else would they call those afflicted "leopards"?
Like you get rabies from rabbits, and gingivitis from eating ginger, and shingles from walking on the beach, and crabs from crabs, and cowpox from cows (hang on...)
Old 07 August 2018, 06:21 PM

I thought walking on the beach caused shell shock? I bet that men who walked on Gold, Sword, Utah, or Omaha Beach have much greater incidences of shell shock than men who didn't.
Old 07 August 2018, 07:30 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
I imagine that crew is not praising GPS right now.
I don't know for sure, but it looked as if one of the people trying to guide the truck may have been the homeowner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Given that it's a residential street, I'd expect moving vans to have to get down it from time to time. Does Seattle expect nobody to ever move? or do they expect them to unload the moving van into several smaller vehicles, or possibly a large number of hand trucks, somewhere out on a main street?
IME, trucks that large generally hold more than one household, so most deliveries are made using the next size down (more like this). These smaller ones might find the traffic circles inconvenient, but they can make the corners.

The other time I saw a semi-sized moving van in trouble in Seattle, he'd tried to drive down either Seneca or Cherry, and had grounded his trailer halfway across 4th avenue. Cherry street is a 17% grade in that area. Imagine a hill that steep that suddenly flattens out (for the cross street) before plunging down to the next cross street. Then imagine a semi-trailer longer than the width of the side street...

Seaboe