snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Old 31 July 2018, 03:30 PM

Glasses

HCA was a pretty gloomy person (despite the Danny Kaye movie). Remember, he also wrote the Little Match Girl (who freezes to death).

Seaboe
Old 31 July 2018, 07:11 PM

There's a school of literary criticism that holds the author's intent as irrelevant and gives credence instead to the ways the story is understood within the culture. TL, you're part of the culture, so your take counts for something.

I read the Hans Christian Andersen version as a child, a few years after the Disney movie came out (and became my favorite.) I think what I took from it was that
1) making a deal with the devil is a bad idea,
2) doubling down (i.e. selling your hair to try to save your reckless sister) probably isn't going to go the way you wanted either, and
3) we shouldn't kill those we love, even to save ourselves.

Of course, I also thought The Gift of the Magi illustrated the dangers of trying to surprise your loved ones with something nice, so maybe don't put too much stock in my childhood interpretations.
Old 31 July 2018, 08:04 PM

I think most discussions of Fahrenheit 451 would be an example of that school in practice.
Old 31 July 2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
Of course, I also thought The Gift of the Magi illustrated the dangers of trying to surprise your loved ones with something nice, so maybe don't put too much stock in my childhood interpretations.
I though it was about living paycheck to paycheck to support frivolous consumerism.
Old 31 July 2018, 09:25 PM

I'm feeling extremely anxious, on edge, unsettled, and unhappy on my first day back at work after a 10-day beach vacation with family at the beach I went to growing up. It's my first day back home, and I need to be working, but I just feel very emotional and anxious.

In a way, I think it's because it all went really well, and was so nice. Most vacation with my family there end up with me remembering why I moved far away. This one is making me homesick, I guess, for maybe the first time ever.
Old 31 July 2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
There's a school of literary criticism that holds the author's intent as irrelevant and gives credence instead to the ways the story is understood within the culture. TL, you're part of the culture, so your take counts for something.
It's called the Death of the Author.
Old 31 July 2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
TL, you're part of the culture, so your take counts for something.
I am a weird adult and was a weird kid. I may be part of the culture, but I wouldn't count on my take on anything being the way most of the rest of the culture thinks of it.

-- I was never quite sure what to make of Gift of the Magi. It was clear that they loved each other; but it wasn't clear to me whether the author expected them to recognize that and have a good laugh/cry on each other's shoulders and a very merry Christmas with an even further strengthened relationship, or whether the author thought the relationship would be damaged by the mixup.
Old 02 August 2018, 09:16 PM

NRP is changing the format of Morning Edition because, according to my local station's newsletter

Quote:
The news landscape is evolving and the reality is that increasing numbers of our listeners no longer get their first update of the day's news from newscasts in Morning Edition. Instead, they’re likely to get headlines - or skim - from news alerts, newsletters and social media on their smart phones, then they’ll come to us for the distinctive deep-dive of a satisfying interview segment or immersive, sound-rich feature.
Apparently the new format will devote more time to in depth stories and less to the day's headlines. I for one do get my first update of the day's news from Morning Edition. I have my alarm clock/radio tuned to NPR so it's the first thing I hear when I wake up and I listen to it as I'm getting ready in the morning. I don't even look at my phone until I sit down to breakfast.

So in other words, now millennials are ruining NPR, too.*

*That was meant to be tongue in cheek if it wasn't obvious.
Old 05 August 2018, 03:45 PM

Icon204

Yesterday, I set the DVR for a horse race I wanted to watch, and because it was a live event, I extended the recording time by 30 minutes. I should have extended the coverage by an hour because the race was delayed due to a thunderstorm. I had to go to YouTube to watch the race. Good luck looking up a horse race whose title does not include the winner!
Old 05 August 2018, 04:25 PM

Come over to my house to watch the horse race. I recorded it because I wanted to watch the car race that got displace by the horse race.
Old 06 August 2018, 01:38 PM

Bang Head

Happens every time: I take home some work plants for dividing/replanting. Despite careful loading into the car the next workday, one of the pots always ends up tipping, thus spilling dirt all over the passenger side.
Guess who has to clean it up?

I'm the office gardener.
Old 06 August 2018, 03:25 PM

Glasses

I assume you're putting them on the floor, and not on the seat.

You have my sympathies for the cleanup.

Seaboe

(Okay, what is going on with the paragraph spacing? If I single space, I get single-spaced paragraphs, but if I double space, they turn into triple spaced paragraphs when I post. I'm using Win 10 and Firefox to post)
Old 06 August 2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
I assume you're putting them on the floor, and not on the seat.

You have my sympathies for the cleanup.

Seaboe

(Okay, what is going on with the paragraph spacing? If I single space, I get single-spaced paragraphs, but if I double space, they turn into triple spaced paragraphs when I post. I'm using Win 10 and Firefox to post)
Presuming you mean the number of lines between paragraphs, I'm seeing single line spacing between the lines in your posts. And between this paragraph and my next I'm leaving a double space. Let's see what happens.

Mac 10.13.4 and Firefox running noscript but with some scripting allowed for this site.
Old 06 August 2018, 07:38 PM

Glasses

I suppose I should note that I edit my posts to take out the extra spaces, when I remember. I also suppose I should not have used the term "double space", since I am not leaving a blank line between lines of text and using paragraph indents. I'm actually trying to leave one single blank line between the paragraphs of text. If I just hit return, like this:
The next paragraph begins on the next line, and there is no real way to tell that it's a new paragraph other than whether the previous line cuts off before the end of the space available. Here, I'm hitting return twice:

Which should, theoretically, leave 1 empty line between the two parts of the paragraph (since this is, logically, all one paragraph). My FireFox browser was upgraded (whatever) on 7/30, without any input from me.

Seaboe (who edited out the extra line before her signature, but left everything else as described in the text).
Old 06 August 2018, 07:47 PM

paragraph, single return follows
yup, that's right on the next line, double return follows

and that left me one line, and now here comes three returns

and I think that's left a double space, if I do four

that's probably a triple.

-- my Firefox is up to date right now; but I have Firefox, and everything else, set up to ask me before updating. I don't know whether you can do that in Windows. (I do usually let things update, but I often wait a couple of days to see whether I hear of any major problems, and to find a more convenient time to restart things.)
Old 07 August 2018, 04:19 AM

Mouse

My AC died, forcing me to spend a weekend in a hotel. Yeah, the repairman came today and fixed things, but there's all this hot air to move out.

Though the fact my AC crapped out in August, feels the very illustration of cruelty. Have you been to Oklahoma? This time of year is hotter and more moist than Satan's moist...I'll stop there. Seriously, how was this state settled before the advent of AC?!

In fact, there was enough demand that the government held a land run, basically opening up the state and saying, "Come and get it!" on a specific date. And somehow we wound up nicknaming ourselves after the people who cheated and snuck in early. That's what a Sooner was. We've basically nicknamed ourselves "The Dirty Cheating Bastards State."

Frankly, let us proclaim Willis Carrier to be up there with Edison in greatness. For making large portions of this country livable, he deserves many hymns of praise and a monument on the national mall.

Sad part is this isn't the first time this house's AC has crapped out on us. The first year we were here, it crapped out in July. Because this AC is a cruel mothereffer and since this place is a parsonage, we can't just replace the whole thing, only repair it in bits and pieces.

At least at the previous place we lived, when the AC died, it had the common courtesy to do it in September. It was still uncomfortable, but it was something approaching livable, unlike months June-August where this state is basically a stagnating blanket of ungodly heat and humidity, making you wonder why the mosquitoes aren't like, "Eff it. It's too hot out."
Old 07 August 2018, 11:47 AM

Stop mincing words, Mouse. Tell us how you really feel.
Old 07 August 2018, 12:42 PM

Heavt breathing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

Frankly, let us proclaim Willis Carrier to be up there with Edison in greatness. For making large portions of this country livable, he deserves many hymns of praise and a monument on the national mall.

."

You forgot sainthood, birthday an international holiday, stamp, a bobble-head and a bust in every town square.

My parents often wondered how they survived without AC. They always rolled their eyes at people who talked about 'the good old days'. They lived those days and would not have gone back to them for all the diamonds in South Africa.
Old 07 August 2018, 02:06 PM

We don't have central air. One window unit in the bedroom, one window unit in the living room. Bedroom unit died about a month ago and it was very hard to find a replacement (most places sold out with no new inventory coming in).

Well, if it was hard a month ago, it's almost impossible now. The living room unit died this weekend (during a heat alert ). We are hiding in the bedroom a lot. I've ordered a new unit but it's 3-9 days for delivery.
Old 07 August 2018, 02:54 PM

We don't have air conditioning as it is generally known. We have swamp coolers. They work very well 99.9 percent of the time here in the desert. However, for the past week we have had only 1 of the 3 on the house working. Plus the gas line has been removed for roof work. So the house has been warm to hot (87 in the living room, cooler in the bedroom.) But the heat is balanced out by having to take cold showers since the water heater is gas.