snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 03 August 2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
1981 DeLorean with a license plate RUN DMC--bought by the current owner's mother brand new, and used as a commuter car in the 80s.
If it hadn't been turned into a replica of the car from Back to the Future, that is pretty cool...! I don't think I've ever seen one of those "in the wild", or that hasn't been turned into the Back to the Future car.
Old 03 August 2018, 02:22 PM

Glasses

Richard W, definitely not a Back to the Future car. Straight out of the box, as it were.

Seaboe
Old 03 August 2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
This morning I saw a first generation (1967-69) in pretty rough shape, painted primer gray.
D'oh! Looking back at yesterday's post I was apparently so preoccupied with the year and condition I left out what kind of car it was. A Camaro. It was a Camaro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
If it hadn't been turned into a replica of the car from Back to the Future, that is pretty cool...! I don't think I've ever seen one of those "in the wild", or that hasn't been turned into the Back to the Future car.
Someone at Oregon offices of my previous employer had one. Whenever I went up there I'd always seem him leaving in it while I was waiting for the shuttle bus to take me back to the airport.

Today I saw a 1960s Corvette Stingray, and a late 1940s-early 1950s Chevy pickup.
Old 03 August 2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
1969 Ford Cobra. This is not a Mustang Shelby, it's a plain old Cobra. Looks like a larger 1965 Mustang Fastback, without the triple tail lights.
I'm not familiar with this one. As far as I'm aware all the Mustang Cobras were from the mid 1990s to mid 2000s, while the only car I can think of named simply "Cobra" wasn't badged as a Ford and doesn't bear much resemblance to a Mustang - the AC (aka Shelby) Cobra. Is this the car you saw?
Old 03 August 2018, 06:27 PM

Glasses

Nope, Meka, nothing like that. Looking for images, it seems that it may have been based on the Ford Torino (and hey, I work with the son of the man who designed that car).

It looked very much like this, from the side/back. This is a front/side view. The one I saw was red.

Seaboe
Old 03 August 2018, 07:51 PM

Today I saw a lowboy. Hardly an unusual sight around here, but on this one, the truck had a pair of Ankole-Watusi horns attached to the grill.
Old 03 August 2018, 08:37 PM

Seaboe, relying on Wiki (sometimes a little suspect) and my memory (always a lot suspect), Ford used the term and label "Cobra Jet" on both the Mustang and the Torino. This was when one of the 7 liter engines was installed in the car. Note Ford had 2 7L engines, one a 427CI displacement and the other a 428. I don't remember which one was the 'truck' engine and which was the 'hot' engine. So you are correct in that it was most likely a Torino you saw.

ETA: It could have been an even rarer 'King Cobra' built with more aerodynamics for NASCAR. See https://www.google.com/search?q=1970...fooxuibc4OHJM:

Last edited by RichardM; 03 August 2018 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04 August 2018, 12:08 AM

Speaking of Mustang variants, I saw a Saleen S302 not too long ago.
Old 04 August 2018, 01:02 AM

Psihala said back on the first page that unusual or notable cars depend on where you are. I thought of that again today, when there was a convoy of a Porsche 911 (numberplate BAD 807S ... = BAD BOYS in the UK font if that's not evident) and two Lamborghinis tearing about the middle of Wycombe, revving their engines outside the bar I was in several times. It just looked a bit sad. None of those cars are particularly notable round here, and clearly they'd been rented because if you actually owned a Lamborghini you'd be unlikely to be trying to impress people in High Wycombe with it. (That implies you've run out of better places to go).

So it's a good thing there are still decent older and more interesting cars around. I find it a bit sad that the glamour of the others has been lost to such an extent. I'm not sure why I think that, though - I'm also against people being stupidly rich, which (in one interpretation) implies that cars like these should be more common, since they're probably no more stupidly expensive to produce than others, given they're mostly owned by multinational conglomerates these days. Either way, my thoughts on this are outside the scope of the thread. My comment might seem to belie this, but I did have a point that wasn't hypocritical...

(The Lamborghinis, at least the red one and probably the black one, were Huracan spyders).

Last edited by Richard W; 04 August 2018 at 01:08 AM.
Old 04 August 2018, 01:06 AM

I saw a Plymouth Prowler with a custom paint job -- silver with flames on the front.

I also saw a couple of vans that looked like they were designed (not modified, I think) for off-road use. I didn't get a close enough look to get make or model. They were boxy, similar to a VW Westfalia, but not that.

Hmm. After Googling, one may have been a VW Vanagon Synchro, and may have been somewhat modified.
Old 04 August 2018, 01:41 AM

On the way home I saw some kind of antique car that I couldn't identify. I'd say it was probably from early to mid 1930s, and it had a spare tire on the side just behind the front fender. IIRC that spare tire placement was more the style on higher end cars of that era, wasn't it? Unfortunately I know that still describes a lot of cars from that era.

ETA: After looking at pictures online, I think it was possible a Packard. This looks kind of like the car I saw from the front, except the one I saw was a sedan, not a coupe.
Old 04 August 2018, 05:43 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
My employer is having a car show today. I'm hoping to see a lot of cool things--possibly even that Barracuda I mentioned the other day (I'd love to find out if I identified it correctly).

Seaboe
We had a Barracuda when I was growing up.
Old 04 August 2018, 09:51 PM

While out running errands today I saw:
1) A somewhat beat up looking Dodge A100 van, that looked like it had been converted to a camper.
2) A probably late-1950s Corvette, the four headlight version.
Old 05 August 2018, 12:56 AM

Saw several vintage cars today, including a Triumph Spitfire (I believe it was a Mark III), a Corvette Stingray convertible, a Plymouth Barracuda, and a couple rat rods. Just for variety, I also spotted two Chevy Bolts.
Old 05 August 2018, 08:16 AM

United Kingdom

On Wednesday I had dinner with some current and former coworkers. Afterwards, when I went out to my car (a 2013 Mini Cooper Clubman) I saw an original Mini Cooper Clubman parked next to it.

two-minis

I don't what year it was but according to Wikipedia they were built from 1969 to 1980.

Brian
Old 05 August 2018, 11:12 PM

Saw a Rolls Royce in our church parking lot today. Have no idea who it belongs to.
Old 05 August 2018, 11:48 PM

I spotted a nice '70 or so Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible today on the way home from work - street parked near a restaurant. Also, the guy up the street with two Mini Coopers was out in his Innocenti (I see that car a lot, it's parked outside for the summer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Note Ford had 2 7L engines, one a 427CI displacement and the other a 428. I don't remember which one was the 'truck' engine and which was the 'hot' engine. So you are correct in that it was most likely a Torino you saw.
They're actually part of the same family of engines (the "FE" series). The 427 was the performance option, and generally only available as such (things like the Fairlane Thunderbolt, etc. This was also the engine initially supplied for the 427 Cobra). The 428 came about because the 427 block was difficult to cast. Since it was a cheaper engine it found it's way into a lot of cars (various Galaxies and Thunderbirds - I believe you could spec a 428 into any big Ford). There were also performance versions of the 428 - the Cobra Jet and Super Cobra Jet (which you'd find in various hot Mustangs and the Torino in question. The 428 was also supplied for the Cobra, and AC themselves made a wonderful GT called the 428 using this engine).

I shall go take my anorak off now.
Old 06 August 2018, 12:58 AM

I knew that back when I was 18 but now 50 years later, I've forgotten.
Old 06 August 2018, 02:21 PM

Glasses

Every day on my way through the parking lot (for at least the past month), I've seen an older but not old Cadillac. I keep meaning to walk back and see if I can figure out the model, and keep forgetting. It's a nice, pleasant car (which a lot of the 90s models were not), so I really should figure it out.

Seaboe
Old 08 August 2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
I knew that back when I was 18 but now 50 years later, I've forgotten.
I only vaguely remembered it from a book about Cobras so had to look some of it up again!

This is why I like MG's and other old sports cars - they usually had one engine option, maybe two if they were fancy like Porsche. Super easy to remember!