snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 06 December 2017, 04:44 PM

It might help, since New York has one of the lowest uninsured driver rates, but it is still over 6%. OK, how can Florida have over 25% uninsured drivers? Is insurance required there?
Old 06 December 2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat Warrior View Post
Freethinker:

While I lived in Ohio from late 2006 until early 2016 I received a notice from BMV every 2 to 3 yeas requiring me to show proof I had liability insurance.

BW
OTOH, I've been (back) here since 2000, and have never received such a notice.
Old 06 December 2017, 05:31 PM

It could be that your insurance company notifies the BMV that you have valid insurance. Or, it might be like jury duty, some drivers get randomly selected to provide proof.
Old 06 December 2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo Bob View Post
Florida requires proof of insurance to register your vehicle.

It is estimated that as much as 25% of Florida drivers do not have insurance, so not sure if it helps.
Yep. Many of those folks who drive without third party liability get the TPL just long enough to register the vehicle, then stop paying on the insurance.

Just like the situation of a driver who hit the vehicle behind me which then hit my vehicle on I-4 in Orlando. Claimed to have insurance but the insurance company would not pay, because the insurance was not valid on the day of the accident.
Old 06 December 2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
It might help, since New York has one of the lowest uninsured driver rates, but it is still over 6%. OK, how can Florida have over 25% uninsured drivers? Is insurance required there?
Third party liability is required, but apparently having the insurance canceled doesn't always trigger an alert.

With that said, when I got the 2017 registration renewals for our FL license plates, the renewal notification had language that our insurance was active, so all they needed was money.

I have to assume there is some coordination between USAA and our tag offices.
Old 07 December 2017, 12:13 AM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
There is a random selection process:
RANDOM SELECTION PROGRAM

Quote:
he BMV randomly selects 5,400 registered vehicles per week to provide proof of insurance for a selected date. Letters notifying the owner of the random selection are mailed to the address on file for the owner. A random selection suspension occurs if a vehicle owner fails to provide proof of insurance.
Old 07 December 2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Yes, it looks like they've taken the relevant page down from the Historic Dockyard site. It's cached below, and says "1st to 3rd December".

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Never mind, it was mainly the ship (and exhibitions) that I wanted to see anyway, not that.

By looking at the site, I found out that the new aircraft carrier, HMS Queen Elizabeth, is going to be formally commissioned tomorrow. I'd quite like to see that as well, but I'm supposed to be going to London with friends in the evening - I wonder if there's time for both.

I suppose I had better add a stupid question. The official site describes HMS Victory as "the world's most famous warship".

I know they have to use hyperbole, but is there any chance that's true beyond the UK? Even here, I'd say that for example the Bismarck is more famous, and that's not even a British ship.

The Historic Dockyard site only calls it "the Royal Navy's most famous warship" and says "There have been many celebrated warships in Britain’s naval history but HMS Victory can justifiably claim to be the most famous of them all"...
I think it must be pretty subjective. If I have to think of a ship, my first thoughts will turn to other names, because of my other interests: Dreadnought, because of my interest in Star Wars;Enterprise, because of my passing interest in Star Trek; Bluenose, because I'm Canadian; Yamato because of my interest in anime and gaming; I am aware of the Victory and it's important place in history (Gibraltar) but it would not be my first thought.

Last edited by Alarm; 07 December 2017 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07 December 2017, 08:14 PM

On a car related site one of the contributors posted some car ads from a 1981 newspaper he found. One ad for one of those used car lots that offers financing for people with bad credit and such included the phrase "equal opportunities for women". Many of the commenters are focusing on that line and claiming people would be offended if you put that in an ad today. What? Why would saying that you treat women and men equally be offensive? If anything it's kind of sad that they actually had to advertise that fact back then. I suspect these commenters are just basing their assumptions on their own stereotypes about feminists and "the PC crowd", but just in case I'm missing something (especially since I'm not a woman), I figure I should ask. Would you find it sexist if a car dealership advertised "equal opportunities for women"?
Old 07 December 2017, 08:21 PM

I'd find it odd.

In 1981, it was still a relatively new thing for married woman to be able to get credit in their own name. The Equal Credit Opportunity Act was passed in 1974.

ETA: My WAG is that commenter has no idea of the history.
Old 07 December 2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
I'd find it odd.

In 1981, it was still a relatively new thing for married woman to be able to get credit in their own name. The Equal Credit Opportunity Act was passed in 1974.

ETA: My WAG is that commenter has no idea of the history.
One of them argued that it would be considered sexist because it implies that women aren't treated equally elsewhere. And also that they're doing women a favor by being willing to do business with them. Except based on the stories women have posted about their car shopping experiences on this board as well as in the comments on that post, it's true, women often aren't treated the same as men when car shopping. So I'm not sure why it would be sexist to acknowledge that. On the second point, I guess, maybe in 1981 it might have been meant that way, but would it come across that way today?
Old 07 December 2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
One of them argued that it would be considered sexist because it implies that women aren't treated equally elsewhere.
Why would that be sexist? If anything, it would be insulting to other car dealers, and even that is a stretch. Now, if they'd implied/said that women **shouldn't** be treated differently, that would be sexism.
Old 07 December 2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Why would that be sexist? If anything, it would be insulting to other car dealers, and even that is a stretch. Now, if they'd implied/said that women **shouldn't** be treated differently, that would be sexism.
Exactly what I was thinking.
Old 07 December 2017, 09:05 PM

Even though women are often treated unequally in car buying, and should be treated equally, I would find the phrasing odd if I saw that somewhere today. I make the same assumption about the meaning that Lainie did.

If I saw that phrasing today, it's possible that it would rub me the wrong way. Like a cereal box proclaiming, "Our cereal is 100% asbestos free!" Well, yes, that is a minimum expectation. I also would not perceive it to be referring to the general car-buying experience, as opposed to the financing process specifically.
Old 07 December 2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
One of them argued that it would be considered sexist because it implies that women aren't treated equally elsewhere.
That's the same type of narrative I am used to hearing from Fox News commentators, that mentioning racism is racism.

ETA: I would have assumed it referred to equal job opportunities for women to work at the dealership since "equal opportunity" is used so often in job advertisements.
Old 07 December 2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
ETA: I would have assumed it referred to equal job opportunities for women to work at the dealership since "equal opportunity" is used so often in job advertisements.
Without going back and looking at the exact wording, the gist of the ad was "Do you have bad credit? We'll offer you financing even if you've been turned down before. Equal opportunities for women." So it sounds like they're saying they'll offer financing regardless of gender.
Old 07 December 2017, 10:20 PM

If I saw that today, I would think it was another version of this:
Old 07 December 2017, 11:21 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
It could be that your insurance company notifies the BMV that you have valid insurance. Or, it might be like jury duty, some drivers get randomly selected to provide proof.
We have a problem in New Brunswick like I'm reading elsewhere on this thread where people will get insurance, use it to register the car, then cancel insurance.

Another dirty trick is to get insurance in New Brunswick, where it is relatively inexpensive compared to other provinces, then register the car in, say Ontario. Car is stopped, the driver produces valid registration and insurance (both same VIN) and will get a reminder to update insurance.

However, regarding people cancelling their insurance, Service NB will randomly poll their files to see if the vehicle is still insured from time to time.

Likewise, insurance companies will poll Service NB, or Service ON to confirm that the car remains registered in the province of its registration.

I've been called once. We had a car that was insured but had a mechanical breakdown. It still had 8 months left on its registration, and we felt that it was not worth the $35 we would get back to cancel, so we removed the plates and junked the car. We cancelled the insurance and in 3 months got a call from Service NB to confirm what we had done with the car because it was not insured, but was still registered.
Old 08 December 2017, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
We have a problem in New Brunswick like I'm reading elsewhere on this thread where people will get insurance, use it to register the car, then cancel insurance.

I lived in Kuwait for a few years and Kuwait also had a mandatory third party liability insurance requirement.

The registration expired with the expiration of the insurance, but I don't think TPL was issued for a period of less than a year and it had to be paid lump sum up front. With that said, TPL was relatively inexpensive and for my SUV, I think I paid about $80 per year.
Old 09 December 2017, 06:35 PM

Re: advertising equal opportunities for women: sometimes when a government agency or non-profit advocacy group goes after a business for engaging in unlawful discrimination, part of the eventual settlement is for the business to put up Know Your Rights posters in the break room or draft and publish/advertise a nondiscrimination policy. Not sure if that's what happened there, but sometimes when you see something along those lines, it's the result of a lawsuit.
Old 11 December 2017, 08:41 PM

Is it nice-guying if you make your interest clear, before doing/giving more than you likely would were you not attracted to the person, and you don't expect that sex must be the eventual outcome?

I have heard the analogy that it is like putting nice coins into a vending machine. Is it less nice-guyish if I think of it like a slot machine instead? Yeah, the hope is that sex will fall out, but there is no guarantee. So, it's not really the same, right?