snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 05 June 2015, 10:35 PM

Default Stupid questions

Inspired by this thread: Did anyone here ever have to shower after gym class? While there were showers in the locker room in my middle school and high school, no one ever actually used them. On the first day of gym class the teacher was like "The showers are there, use them if you want but you don't have to." Even if anyone did want to shower, there wouldn't have been time.
Old 05 June 2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Inspired by this thread: Did anyone here ever have to shower after gym class?
We didn't at either of the two high schools I attended.
Old 05 June 2015, 11:05 PM

Hell no, I spent as little time in the locker room as I possibly could.
Old 05 June 2015, 11:15 PM

Same here. The showers existed and you had time if you were lightning fast but no one ever did and you'd have to bring your own towel too.
Old 06 June 2015, 01:27 AM

In middle school, the showers were just mounted along a single wall--no dividers or privacy of any kind. No way was anyone exposing themselves like that; even if you weren't self-conscious about your changing body, you would've been teased until the end of time. I was given a hard time once for taking off my shirt before taking my other shirt out of my (open) locker; apparently I should've had the next one lined up and ready to go so as to spare everyone an extra two seconds of seeing my bra.

Also, we only had seven minutes to change after P.E., but that hardly seemed relevant to the shower question in light of the culture. I have no idea what it was like in high school; I got P.E. credit for colorguard, and we changed in the bathrooms of the band room, so showers weren't even an option. Not that we often broke a sweat anyway.
Old 06 June 2015, 02:10 AM

You know since posting that comment I have been trying to remember if we ever used the showers after PE or even if we actually had showers. I have been trying remember by picturing myself walking to each school and going to the girls room/change rooms etc. Unfortunalely I have been getting mixed up with the two high schools I attended and the high school I have just finished working at.

The first school had a pool so I am pretty certain we had showers there and only used them after swimming. We would have had a towel for swimming. My second high school I am not sure. We didn't have a pool (they do now), so I would guess at no. The school I worked at, I don't know about the girls, but we had one in the staff toilets and I am pretty sure they girls have them in the change rooms.

We tended have PE as a double period so there would usually be a meal break after the class. So in theory you would have time. weather you would want to waste your meal break doing that is another thing. If it was the last period of the day we were meant to get off a little earlier so we could change in time for those who had to catch the bus.

Last edited by Dasla; 06 June 2015 at 02:17 AM.
Old 06 June 2015, 02:31 AM

It wasn't required, but to get an A in the class you had too.

But I also played sports and we used them after practices and games. At least for football and basketball.
Old 06 June 2015, 12:47 PM

My middle school (jr high when I went there) was the old high school so it had showers as did my high school. It was never required and the only time I saw anyone shower was after varsity football games in the field house locker room.
My senior year I had my 2nd period open so I volunteered as an aide for the weight training class that period.(basically just meant I got to lift that period but could duck out early to do a quick sluice off in the locker room. (between that and having my homeroom following 2nd period in the same locker room was they only way to have enough time to do that)
Old 06 June 2015, 12:59 PM

Icon05

Something I never understood about the new Doctor Who stuff...

Gallifrey was time-locked and inaccessible after the Time War, ok fine. The Doctor was the last Time Lord active in the universe.

If he was so lonely, why couldn't he just go back to when there were Time Lords active in the universe and hang out with them? He ran into himself from the past (Time Crash) and the Master, so, why not other Time Lords?

Is it that, aside from him, Romana, the Rani, and the Master, the Time Lords were always all on Gallifrey so there are no others out there in space and time to meet?
Old 06 June 2015, 03:36 PM

I don't think that's the case - remember the distress calls or whatever he picked up from other Time Lords in the episode Neil Gaiman wrote* (they were used as bait)? Wouldn't they have had to be out and about to encounter the planet?
*(All this is as I remember it from one viewing)
My own Stupid Question: I am being offered a free upgrade to Windows 10. Should I take it?
The only time we showered was after swimming and IIRC we kept our swimsuits on for it, since it was a communal shower - one long cubicle with multiple shower heads.

Last edited by Latiam; 06 June 2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06 June 2015, 04:33 PM

I'm torn about the Windows 10 upgrade.

On the one hand, I hate Windows 8.1, which is what my current computer has. On the other, I hate the idea of trying to beta test an OS.
Old 06 June 2015, 04:42 PM

I think I'm going to try it. Worst thing that happens is that I have to do a factory restore and take it back down to 8.1. I'm not all that enamored with 8 and I don't think I'm getting the performance I should out of my computer, so what the heck, let's give this a whirl. Backup backup backup though.
Old 07 June 2015, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
Something I never understood about the new Doctor Who stuff...

Gallifrey was time-locked and inaccessible after the Time War, ok fine. The Doctor was the last Time Lord active in the universe.

If he was so lonely, why couldn't he just go back to when there were Time Lords active in the universe and hang out with them? He ran into himself from the past (Time Crash) and the Master, so, why not other Time Lords?

Is it that, aside from him, Romana, the Rani, and the Master, the Time Lords were always all on Gallifrey so there are no others out there in space and time to meet?

I think the other time lords mainly stuck on Galifray and didn't do a lot of time travel. They had the technology but rarely used it. The Doctor is a bit of a rebel and goes travel around the universe and time "interfering" in other races. I don't think he is meant to do this. I think there are also some "timey wimey" rules about crossing your own past, which is why he rarely meets himself, except for specieal occasions and he never meets himself as himself, that is the same generation of himself.

I have often wondered what happened to his grand-daughter. Technically she is a time lady herself. And she came back for the 20th anniversary. She left, originally, to marry. Did she marry a fellow timelord?

I don't think "Dr Who" is meant to be "hard" science fiction, that is looking at real possible effects advances in science and technolgy would have on society and the implication thereafter. I try not to think to hard about the inconsisancies.
Old 07 June 2015, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I'm torn about the Windows 10 upgrade.

On the one hand, I hate Windows 8.1, which is what my current computer has. On the other, I hate the idea of trying to beta test an OS.
There's no guarantee, of course, but I beta tested Windows 7 before it came out, and I didn't notice any differences from the final version in terms of performance. I didn't even have any driver issues that I can recall.

I would be more motivated to try it if I were stuck with 8, but all of my computers are still on 7. I know I should take the free upgrade, but I'm very happy with 7.
Old 07 June 2015, 01:44 AM

I have one laptop that has Windows 8.1. It is mostly used to surf the web, so not much in the way of documents on it or anything. I will probably use it to try Windows 10 a few weeks after release. Not sure what I'll do about the desktop that is still on XP though
Old 07 June 2015, 01:52 AM

Yeah, maybe I should fire up one of the now rarely used desktops and try it out there.
Old 07 June 2015, 01:58 AM

My rule is simple: Never upgrade.
Old 07 June 2015, 02:09 AM

So you're using what, DOS?
Old 07 June 2015, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
My rule is simple: Never upgrade.
That's what I have done with my XP computer. It is our main computer, so has all the software and documents we use on it. I have upgraded the hardware a bunch of times. It's not state of the art anymore, but fast enough for what we need it to do. I never upgraded the OS beyond XP though, because that would mean losing everything and starting again. I can easily backup documents and transfer them, but reloading all the software will be a massive pain. Might force me to reduce what's loaded on there though.
Old 07 June 2015, 03:36 AM

Is that XP machine connected to the internet? I ask because XP machines are very vulnerable to some really nasty attacks.
Closed Thread