snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 19 November 2014, 05:51 PM

Computer Engineer Barbie has computer problems. Call the boys?

Sure, Barbie. You may be an astronaut, an entrepreneur and a doctor. But if you want to be a computer engineer, it looks like you're gonna need to call in some male backup, according to a children's book.

http://www.9news.com/story/news/nati...xist/19264459/
Old 19 November 2014, 06:53 PM

There's a "remixed" version of the book that rewrites the story and addresses the issues of sexism in the sciences:

Quote:
When Skipper learns her love of science may make her vulnerable to harassment, Barbie tells her not to give up. "Skipper," says our pink-clad heroine, "you can't let sexism stop you from pursuing science. We need more women scientists. You're just the type of person who can make a difference!"

Next they talk about how easily stereotyped they are because they both love pink and like "girly" things. They agree to keep liking all of the above, because "you can like pink and be a really good programmer."
Old 19 November 2014, 07:46 PM

Many less serious takes on this as well:

http://gizmodo.com/the-internets-bes...rbi-1660660376
Old 19 November 2014, 07:50 PM

"And please stop trying to unplug my monitor."

It's clear that the people who wrote this know nothing about tech, but do they not know anyone who knows anything about tech?
Old 19 November 2014, 07:53 PM

Icon220

Well gosh, everyone... this goes both ways, you know! If they were doing a book about Ken, he'd have to call the girls in for help on fashion, cooking, and interior design! You know... girl stuff!

Old 19 November 2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
Well gosh, everyone... this goes both ways, you know! If they were doing a book about Ken, he'd have to call the girls in for help on fashion, cooking, and interior design! You know... girl stuff!

Not to mention cleaning, laundry, and childcare.
Old 19 November 2014, 08:34 PM

I think you're all being terribly unfair. That book was originally published in 2010. That was a very long time ago and we really shouldn't apply today's standards to books from that era. Why there are children playing with Barbie today who weren't even born in 2010.
Old 20 November 2014, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
"And please stop trying to unplug my monitor."

It's clear that the people who wrote this know nothing about tech, but do they not know anyone who knows anything about tech?
My favorite was from the other caption for the same scene: "I can't risk another one of your NFBSK ups, Steven."

And you're right. Where are the author's Brian and Steven?
Old 20 November 2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plurabelle View Post
Many less serious takes on this as well:

http://gizmodo.com/the-internets-bes...rbi-1660660376

and other letters, because I can't stop laughing.

The amazon reviews were hilarious as well.
Old 21 November 2014, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post

Well, now. That all depends on which Ken we're talking about.

Remember Earring Magic Ken?
Old 21 November 2014, 12:29 AM

I could actually get behind the book if the message implied that even an engineer needs assistance sometimes. After all, there is a fairly prevalent and damaging stereotype that if you're competent you should never have to ask for help.

And that message would have been so effective if 'Brian and Steve' were 'Brittany and Stephanie' or even 'Brian and Stephanie'. As it is, no, it's just sexist. Seriously, what the hell? How is it possible that everybody involved in the creation and subsequent publishing of this book were unaware of how it came across?
Old 21 November 2014, 12:56 AM

I think that would be a better book, but it still needs more changes to live up to the title. I mean, Barbie: I Can Be a Computer Engineer is pretty specific. I'm not up on my tech terminology, but I suspect that the people who think up a game and design art for it might not be called engineers if they don't code or at least know how. Hmm, I guess they could make it clear that Barbie knows how to code, but Brian and Steve are her lackeys who do the grunt work....
Old 21 November 2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherskite View Post
I could actually get behind the book if the message implied that even an engineer needs assistance sometimes. After all, there is a fairly prevalent and damaging stereotype that if you're competent you should never have to ask for help.
I was thinking the same thing, and had even been prepared to write of the criticism as overblown for that reason, like when people were up in arms about Barbie saying "Math class is tough" (usually misquoted as "Math is hard"). I took it as a perfectly normal sentiment about the challenges of high school to which any teenager could relate.

But this... yeah. Nothing wrong with needing help (the ability to seek and accept it can even be celebrated), but this deserves all the hate it's gotten.
Old 22 November 2014, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
I'm not up on my tech terminology, but I suspect that the people who think up a game and design art for it might not be called engineers if they don't code or at least know how.
As someone who actually makes games for a living, no, they're not. Unless they're writing the code. But then even they're coding on the project, if their PRIMARY role is design, they're a designer first. If you're an engineer, you're primarily coding.

I mean, it's not like there's no role for software DESIGN, but... call her a designer, not an ENGINEER.

The whole book read like something from someone who vaguely understood how computers work, and then made up all the rest. The godawful stereotyping is just the icing on the cake.

....and how the crap did Barbie get a death virus on her FLASH DRIVE?!
Old 22 November 2014, 05:44 PM

She must have used it without protection on a strange computer. You know how stupid us women can be about technology.