snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 06 April 2013, 12:49 AM

Soapbox 'Entitled' high school senior sparks a firestorm of anger

A high school senior who wrote an open letter to the Ivy League universities that rejected her has sparked a firestorm of anger, with readers accusing her of being 'entitled', 'whiny' and even racist.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ected-her.html
Old 06 April 2013, 01:04 AM

What bothers me most is this:

Quote:
'What could I have done differently over the past years?' she wrote. 'For starters, had I known two years ago what I know now, I would have gladly worn a headdress to school. Show me to any closet, and I would've happily come out of it.'
It's just so insulting and trivializing of other people's culture (headdress) and genuine pain (closeting).

Then she adds insult to injury by comparing her ham-handed attempt at satire to 30 Rock, which she can't even describe accurately.
Old 06 April 2013, 02:54 AM

Quote:
She called her sister, a former assistant editor of the Op-Ed section at the Wall Street Journal
That explains a lot. (Yeah, I know, guilt by association.)

Given that she didn't get into Vanderbilt (which, while a perfectly good school, isn't nearly as selective as the Ivies), I've got to think there's more to the story than we're seeing here. If her grades and test scores are as good as the article claims, that is rather odd. As for the Ivies, it's really a crapshoot at a certain level.
Old 06 April 2013, 03:10 AM

Maybe there was an essay and, well, they sussed her personality from it.
Old 06 April 2013, 05:57 AM

A 2120 SAT is not Ivy League quality. Depending on the breakdown, her critical reading, math, or writing score could be as low as 520. Her school could grossly inflate grades or grade on a scale other than weighted 4.0. She could have taken weak classes. She could be a rock star in English but barely be in Algebra 2 her senior year.

Schools know what they're doing. She wasn't robbed of anything.

She should have no trouble getting into and getting a good scholarship to a perfectly fine state school with those numbers.
Old 06 April 2013, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking. Among other things, she sounds incredibly immature.
Old 06 April 2013, 06:23 AM

I just read her Op-Ed. What an ugly (where it counts) young woman...
Old 06 April 2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCosmicJive View Post
A 2120 SAT is not Ivy League quality.
Of course it is. It's an excellent score, around the top 3 percent of all test takers. The median SAT score for the Ivy League schools are all around the 2100s, so her score is par. Of course having a score that's merely typical of their students means it's not going to blow anyone away and guarantee her admission, but neither will it hold her back. It means the other variables will be what determines whether she gets in. She didn't get in, and I'm willing to give the schools the benefit of the doubt that they had their reasons over her own self-estimation of the strength of her application, especially after that essay.

Quote:
Depending on the breakdown, her critical reading, math, or writing score could be as low as 520.
Although that's highly statistically implausible. It's hard to believe someone would get a perfect 800 in reading and do so poorly in writing or vice versa. A distribution like that might happen for someone who is bad at math, but such a person would likely be applying for a humanities major, in which case getting perfect 800s in reading and writing and a merely average score in math might be perfectly acceptable.

Last edited by Errata; 06 April 2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 06 April 2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Her school could grossly inflate grades or grade on a scale other than weighted 4.0.
Now that you mention it, if she really does have a 4.5 GPA, her school must not be on the standard 4.0 scale. Even if you made straight A's and took every AP class available, I don't see how you could get much more than a 4.1 or so.

I do know a few people who got into the Ivy League on much lower test scores than she has; but they had excellent essays and recommendations. I think we can safely assume her essay wasn't top-notch! (And oh yeah, I could also introduce her to a number of my black friends who didn't get into the Ivy League either. There is no silver bullet, except maybe being extremely well-connected.)
Old 06 April 2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
Of course it is. It's an excellent score, around the top 3 percent of all test takers. The median SAT score for the Ivy League schools are all around the 2100s, so her score is par. Of course having a score that's merely typical of their students means it's not going to blow anyone away and guarantee her admission, but neither will it hold her back. It means the other variables will be what determines whether she gets in. She didn't get in, and I'm willing to give the schools the benefit of the doubt that they had their reasons over her own self-estimation of the strength of her application, especially after that essay.

Although that's highly statistically implausible. It's hard to believe someone would get a perfect 800 in reading and do so poorly in writing or vice versa. A distribution like that might happen for someone who is bad at math, but such a person would likely be applying for a humanities major, in which case getting perfect 800s in reading and writing and a merely average score in math might be perfectly acceptable.
When I applied for several Ivy League schools last year, I thought my SAT score of 2180 would be good enough. After being rejected from every school I applied to, I took a look at their admission statistics, and 2180 was in the bottom 25% of accepted students. It's quite a selective process, and it unfortunately appears that you should be preparing yourself for these highly selective schools at about the third grade.
Old 06 April 2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakarai View Post
I thought my SAT score of 2180 would be good enough.
It was adequate, it just wasn't enough to separate you from the pack. Your SAT score didn't let you down, nor did it single handedly win you admission. It was something else wasn't strong enough.

Quote:
I took a look at their admission statistics, and 2180 was in the bottom 25% of accepted students.
Except not. The 25th percentile at Harvard is 2080. The 25th percentile at Princeton is 2100. The 25th percentile at Yale is 2110. Your score and hers are both approximately in the median range for schools of that caliber. Those scores alone won't get you in, but they won't keep you out, either.

Quote:
It's quite a selective process, and it unfortunately appears that you should be preparing yourself for these highly selective schools at about the third grade.
I graduated from an Ivy League school myself, and I didn't do any special preparation. It certainly wasn't on my radar or my parents radar in elementary school. I went to a rust belt public school and my grades weren't always the best. "Be yourself" really isn't bad advice, for a certain definition of "yourself".

I got a 1520 out of 1600 back in 1994, before they added the third score and recalibrated it to make it easier to get 800s, at which point that was well within the top 1% and the median score at Ivy league schools was around 1300.
Old 06 April 2013, 01:03 PM

It's odd that while she's waving around that blame stick, she's not whacking on all those children of alumni with deep pockets, who take up many of the spaces that should have gone to bright young entitled brats like her, even though their sub-par grades should have kept them out *cough*georgew.bush*cough*
Old 06 April 2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Or the sloppiness and inconsistency of her intellectual process.
Old 06 April 2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
The 25th percentile at Harvard is 2080. The 25th percentile at Princeton is 2100. The 25th percentile at Yale is 2110.
So they are. Huh. I did not think the Ivies typically went that low. Still, given that the 75th percentile for those schools is around 2380, I'd speculate that her score is closer to bottom third than median. Either way, her admission based on numbers was far from a no-brainer, as she seemed to have thought it was. Others have already pointEd out why it's likely that the rest of her application did her no favors.
Old 06 April 2013, 03:28 PM

In writing this, she certainly kissed applying to any other school good-bye. When you apply for a job what is the first thing they tell you? Don't badmouth your former employer or your failed interviews. They say this with good reason, because it makes you sound like a whiny jerk who can't learn from your mistakes and keeps showing a bad attitude towards others. Applying for colleges is the same process. Any other admissions committee in the right mind would find this account and would certainly think twice about accepting her and in my opinion would be totally justified in rejecting her since she presents such a bad attitude towards the process as well as other applicants who may end up being her classmates. She may have the scholarly achievement, but she certainly lacks the maturity, commitment to service, and empathy for others to be a college student. She'd be lucky if she got a barista job at Starbucks after this. (I'd say McDonald's but that would probably be "too common" for her.)
Old 06 April 2013, 03:47 PM

Unfortunately, AR, I think there is an element that will forgive bad behavior as long as it is labeled "politically incorrect". That explains the portion of the comments in which people are applauding her for telling the "truth". I wouldn't be surprised if she gets some opportunities from those folks.
Old 06 April 2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn Red View Post
She may have the scholarly achievement, but she certainly lacks the maturity, commitment to service, and empathy for others to be a college student. She'd be lucky if she got a barista job at Starbucks after this. (I'd say McDonald's but that would probably be "too common" for her.)
I think you underestimate the importance of making money and overestimate the level of elite-ness of most colleges. I have a feeling she'll be starting at some perfectly adequate (by my standards, if not hers) college this coming fall. And why not? To be fair, it would kind of suck to be barred from all colleges in perpetuity just for having ugly and/or poorly stated opinions as a high school student. I would imagine, unless she really thought the Ivies were a lock and didn't apply anywhere else, she has already been accepted elsewhere.

ETA: wanderwoman, even without a college that is willing to label the backlash as "PC gone amok" I'm sure someone will take or has taken her. And why not? College isn't all that much of a distinction nowadays. It's not like nationwide only the top 20% are going anymore.

ETA2: I wonder if that means in a few more years we'll be reading another rant from her on how everyone lied and getting a BA in whatever doesn't guarantee a six figure salary or any job at all after graduation.

Last edited by ASL; 06 April 2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06 April 2013, 04:12 PM

Icon105

I read this the other day and think it provides a nice counterpoint to this essay. Or at least it might show that there's hope for this high school senior to learn from her mistakes.

At the intersection of privilege and college admissions: An apology of a former Abigail Fisher
Old 06 April 2013, 04:30 PM

Ponder

Quote:
But others applauded her outspoken rant, saying she was simply telling the truth about tough application processes, while some noted that the piece was simply sarcastic and fun.

'It was a joke,' Weiss insisted on Today. 'It's a satire. That's the point. Just like '30 Rock' is a satire, which pokes fun at things that are politically correct. That's what I was trying to do.'
The problem I see is that her article is neither sober enough to be taken seriously nor focused and pointed (not to mention funny) enough to be regarded as satirical.

If she wanted to make a serious statement about how Ivy League colleges place a disproportionate and misleading emphasis on extracurricular activities, then complaining that her parents "gave up on parenting me" has no place in her essay -- it's not the schools' fault that her parents didn't push her in better directions. And if she intended to make a satirical point about "tiger moms," then she undercut it by complaining both that her parents didn't inspire her to excel and that they "made" her watch and read accounts of youngsters who did excel.
Old 06 April 2013, 04:51 PM

Anyone else thinking Parody Retcon?