snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Politics

Old 18 March 2008, 02:03 AM

Devil Obama = anti-Christ

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/antichrist.asp
Old 18 March 2008, 02:08 AM

So many people around here are convinced that Obama is the Antichrist. At first it was funny, but now it's just sad. I told someone about it as a joke [like, "can you believe my friend's crazy dad? ha!"] and found out they totally thought the whole thing was true.

And, srsly folks, if Obama is the Antichrist, ain't nothing you can do about it. In fact, trying to block his rise to power would be going against God's will.
Old 18 March 2008, 02:59 AM

Whalephant

The Book of Revelations was written several centuries before Islam existed.

Silas
Old 18 March 2008, 03:05 AM

That was god's plan though. It knew that Islam would happen, so it just went ahead and had that written down, just so in a few thousand years it could rub its wisdom in our faces.
Old 18 March 2008, 03:06 AM

Nitpick: It's Revelation, not Revelations.

And there were no Muslims, it's true. I don't recall anything about him being in his forties, either. Perhaps most interestingly, the word "Antichrist" does not appear in Revelation at all, though the person most people are talking about when they refer to him is the "Beast" in Revelation.

Avril
Old 18 March 2008, 03:07 AM

D'oh!

Wow. This guy's been spreading his message quite far and wide.
Old 18 March 2008, 05:21 AM

Psychic

Actually, that sounds almost exactly like a show i watched that said it was a Nostradamus prediction. Some time around 2002 or after, i heard that it wasn't really his prediction, but something made up by college students. I watched the show in the 90's at the latest.

It was either Saddam or Osama that was supposed to be the anti-Christ wearing a blue turban.
Old 18 March 2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Comment: I have received an email, subject: Kind of scary, wouldn't you
think.

"According to the Book of Revelations the anti-christ is: The anti-christ
will be a man, in his 40s, of MUSLIM descent, who will deceive the nations
with persuassive language, and have a MASSIVE Christ-like appeal....the
prophecy says that people will flock to him and he will promise false hope
and world peace, and when he is in power, will destory everything. Is it
OBAMA??"

Is this email accurate?
I don't think you could describe Obama as having massive Christ-like appeal. Maybe he's popular, but its not universal. If it were, then the Democratic nomination would have been decided by now.

Besides, for one to be an Anti-Christ (or more descriptively Anti-Messiah), he would have to be of Jewish descent, not Muslim.
Old 18 March 2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnoops View Post
Actually, that sounds almost exactly like a show i watched that said it was a Nostradamus prediction. Some time around 2002 or after, i heard that it wasn't really his prediction, but something made up by college students. I watched the show in the 90's at the latest.
On a related note - this is one of my gripes with people citing Nostrodomus on various things. Apart from the fact that he was really vague about many things (probably to avoid being charged with herasy or such) but that it is really easy to make something up that he never even said and people - thinking that it sounds Nostradamus-ish - take it as true. I have seen alot of phrases that are attributed to the man, but the only thing in common with his writings is that they are worded vaguely.
Old 18 March 2008, 01:58 PM

Bonsai Kitten

Barack Hussein Obama = The Anti-Christ? Could be. I heard that when he was in the Marines, he threw a puppy off a cliff.
Old 18 March 2008, 02:02 PM

Icon101

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
Could be. I heard that when he was in the Marines, he threw a puppy off a cliff.
He kicked a puppy off a cliff. And it was while he was a high minister with the Church of Satan, not while he was with the Marines. Get your facts straight.

Old 18 March 2008, 02:36 PM

BTW, if Obama is the anti-Christ, does it mean that his most tenacious adversary, Hillary Clinton, is a saintly person who's doing God's work?

Go figure. I'll never understand those fundies. I'm even quite sure they don't understand themselves.
Old 18 March 2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckistan View Post
He kicked a puppy off a cliff. And it was while he was a high minister with the Church of Satan, not while he was with the Marines. Get your facts straight.

I heard from a friend of a friend that Barack Hussein Obama was a Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan.

Eta: It could have been David Duke. To be on the safe side, don't vote for either of them.

Last edited by damian; 18 March 2008 at 02:49 PM.
Old 18 March 2008, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondi View Post

Besides, for one to be an Anti-Christ (or more descriptively Anti-Messiah), he would have to be of Jewish descent, not Muslim.
His first name Barack is Hebrew for blessed. Thus he is both a Jew and a Muslim. This obviously proves that he is the anti-christ.

Also, McCain means "son of Cain". Cain murdered his brother Abel and was cursed by God. This means that there are two candidates who are anti-Christs.

Last edited by RBCal; 18 March 2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old 18 March 2008, 02:59 PM

Wolf

From my memory of Revelation, the beast comes from the sea, not the middle east. Also, in the past he has been beleive to be Nero, the Pope (especially Pope Pius), Constitine, and many others.

I see nothing that indicates that Senator Obama is the antiChrist. As was stated before, if he were Senator Clinton would be out of the race already.
Old 18 March 2008, 03:20 PM

Several years ago someone published a very funny essay in Slate about whether or not they were the anti-Christ. Apparently at that time American fundie leader-types were claiming that the anti-Christ would be a male Jew with charisma and leadership qualities and so on. The anti-Christ is supposed to a counterfeit Christ, and thus would also be Jewish and male, not Muslim.

Of course, Obama isn't Muslim or from the Middle East, considering that Kenya is in sub-Saharan Africa the last time I checked, but I suppose looking for logic in the nonsense is about a purposeful as trying to teach a dog to drive.
Old 18 March 2008, 03:26 PM

Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
Of course, Obama isn't Muslim or from the Middle East, considering that Kenya is in sub-Saharan Africa the last time I checked, but I suppose looking for logic in the nonsense is about a purposeful as trying to teach a dog to drive.
Ah, but the claim is not the the antiChrist is a Muslim, but that he is "of Muslim decent" (whatever that means) and as we all know, Islam came from the middle east! Therefore, Obama's ancestry, somehow, must be Middle Eastern!

You cannot argue logic with a person who invents the "facts" as they go along.
Old 18 March 2008, 03:26 PM

Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
On a related note - this is one of my gripes with people citing Nostrodomus on various things. Apart from the fact that he was really vague about many things (probably to avoid being charged with herasy or such) but that it is really easy to make something up that he never even said and people - thinking that it sounds Nostradamus-ish - take it as true. I have seen alot of phrases that are attributed to the man, but the only thing in common with his writings is that they are worded vaguely.
Agreed that his predictions were vague. However it was uncanny how the earlier interpretation of his predictions fit with later events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano View Post
BTW, if Obama is the anti-Christ, does it mean that his most tenacious adversary, Hillary Clinton, is a saintly person who's doing God's work?
Not really. She could be one of Satan's minions sent to make Obama look good. (Sort of how i thought Kerry was to Bush.)
Old 18 March 2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonWolf View Post
Ah, but the claim is not the the antiChrist is a Muslim, but that he is "of Muslim decent" (whatever that means) and as we all know, Islam came from the middle east! Therefore, Obama's ancestry, somehow, must be Middle Eastern!
Well, Kenya is in the Middle East of Africa.
Old 18 March 2008, 03:43 PM

Icon102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnoops View Post
Was it this prediction, perhaps?