snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 12 August 2013, 05:39 PM

Default Family That Left US in Sailboat Over Religious Freedom Was Lost at Sea for Months

Quote:
A northern Arizona family that was lost at sea for weeks in an ill-fated attempt to leave the U.S. over what they consider government interference in religion will fly back home.

Hannah Gastonguay, 26, said that she and her husband "decided to take a leap of faith and see where God led us" when they took their two small children and her father-in-law and set sail from San Diego for the tiny island nation of Kiribati in May.
http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region...gious-conflict
Old 12 August 2013, 05:52 PM

I wonder who paid for their flights home.

Quote:
Hannah Gastonguay said the family will now "go back to Arizona" and "come up with a new plan."
Maybe this time they'll do their research and avoid putting their children's lives in jeopardy.
Old 12 August 2013, 05:54 PM

I wonder what kind of plan do you make after your God abandons you.
Old 12 August 2013, 05:54 PM

They don't believe he did.
Old 12 August 2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I wonder who paid for their flights home.
I was going to make a snarky comment about my tax dollars and their return trip, but I decided that I should be more charitable than they.
Old 12 August 2013, 06:42 PM

Glasses

Is it just me, or can one of you think of a country where they'll be able to find the type of freedom they seek? Most countries have taxes. Many countries regulate religion in one way or another.

Seaboe
Old 12 August 2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
They don't believe he did.
No, in fact he proved his presence by causing storms, and then miraculously making them stop again!
Old 12 August 2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Is it just me, or can one of you think of a country where they'll be able to find the type of freedom they seek? Most countries have taxes. Many countries regulate religion in one way or another.

Seaboe
Out of interest I looked up the island they were heading for. I don't know if it offers all that they want but it did look like abortion is against the law which seemed to be one of the things they were obsessing over.

According to WIKI the island also gets a lot of assistance from organizations like the UN Development Program and the World Bank, wonder how they'd feel about that?

Last edited by Sue; 12 August 2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12 August 2013, 06:58 PM

Psychic

I see an inspirational speaking tour and a ghostwritten book deal in their future. The Lord works in mysterious ways, or so I imagine them saying at the beginning and end of each appearance, for a nominal fee.
Old 12 August 2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Is it just me, or can one of you think of a country where they'll be able to find the type of freedom they seek?
It says in the article, "As Christians they don't believe in 'abortion, homosexuality, in the state-controlled church'" and the countries that completely forbid abortion - The Holy See, Malta, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Nicaragua and Chile - all permit homosexual activity, so they aren't going to have any luck on that front. They are against a "state-controlled" church but places with religious freedom tend to also have sexual and reproductive freedoms too. Sounds like they want to live in an authoritarian theocracy, so long as the theocracy has the same views as they do.
Old 12 August 2013, 07:20 PM

It sounds like they're mainly looking for a country without abortion (or at least no government funding used for abortions) and where homosexuality is illegal. Per Wikipedia, homosexuality and sodomy are illegal in Kiribati, with a term of up to 14 years in prison.

On the other hand, the islands are apparently is extremely overcrowded, and the country may in fact cease to exist in the near future due to rising sea levels. I'm hazarding a guess, however, that this family probably does not believe in that global warming nonsense.
Old 12 August 2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Jay View Post
I wonder what kind of plan do you make after your God abandons you.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes....."
Old 12 August 2013, 07:47 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
No, in fact he proved his presence by causing storms, and then miraculously making them stop again!
They're lucky they didn't get swallowed by a whale.
Old 12 August 2013, 07:53 PM

Does this story remind anyone else of this joke:
http://home.earthlink.net/~worldbridger/id22.html

“You had a perfectly good house on land in Arizona, what more did you want?”
Bet that government interference getting them home looked pretty nice.
Old 12 August 2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm View Post
They're lucky they didn't get swallowed by a whale.

@GaryM: State controlled church? The last time I checked the USA had a First Amendment. OK, so there are local laws regarding zoning and capacity, but that has nothing to do with church teachings unless these folks belonged the Our Lady of Violated Fire Codes.
Go where God leads them....suppose He led them to say, Hawaii, or Guam, or American Samoa? Or perhaps Alaska. I'm guessing they're not familiar with the Rubber Ducky Project from a few years back.

Last edited by DawnStorm; 12 August 2013 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Reworded sentence.
Old 12 August 2013, 08:13 PM

Looks like the people of Kiribati are leaving Kiribati themselves. Wikipedia says that because of climate change, Kiribati will lose land and they will have to emigrate somewhere else
Old 12 August 2013, 08:18 PM

Icon215

From the link: the State Department was not immediately available for comment...
They were probably too busy saying WTF??!! and/or laughing their heads off. It doesn't sound like the boat was ocean-worthy. Should've built an ark.
Old 12 August 2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post

@GaryM: State controlled church? The last time I checked the USA had a First Amendment.
I know right? People leaving the USA to find religious freedom. You'd think they lived somewhere with a state religion, like Saudi Arabia or England.
Old 12 August 2013, 09:02 PM

Well, you have the people who consider it an infringement that large religious organizations will be required to, for instance, provide health coverage that includes birth control, like other employers do.

However, I more cynically expect that they consider it a violation of their religious people that they aren't allowed to stone gay people to death or shoot abortion doctors.
Old 12 August 2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Jay View Post
Looks like the people of Kiribati are leaving Kiribati themselves. Wikipedia says that because of climate change, Kiribati will lose land and they will have to emigrate somewhere else
Well, the Gastonguay family does have a boat, so even if they believed in climate change, they have a plan B. Plan A, of course, being that God will save them by preventing climate change in the first place, because the Gastonguay family are just that special.