snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > History

Old 14 February 2016, 07:50 PM

Default The Mail Online sees (time-traveling) dead people

The Mail Online sees time traveling dead people. Or else a technologically advanced Greek society with laptops and a stylus.

Here are the pictures: According to the Mail Online they are ancient Greeks using laptops.

Here's the article;
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...t-one-wax.html
Old 15 February 2016, 05:31 PM

Well, whatever those holes in the side are, they're definitely not USB ports - they're round!
Old 15 February 2016, 06:35 PM

Well, they got the stylus part right, but it's a tablet, not a laptop.
Old 15 February 2016, 06:53 PM

Even more advanced then, tablet computers are mostly from this century.

Richard W, those are S-Video ports so they could show their Power Pointus presentation on the flat panel.
Old 15 February 2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
Well, they got the stylus part right, but it's a tablet, not a laptop.
To be fair, the article is actually only claiming (or repeating claims) that the first image is "a laptop". They label the second image as a wax tablet, and apparently include it to show that it doesn't match the first image. ... It looks close enough to me, but apparently not to whoever made the laptop suggestion.

I also didn't quite follow the article's explanation of why it couldn't be an open box or tray...
Old 15 February 2016, 08:44 PM

Default Oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
To be fair, the article is actually only claiming (or repeating claims) that the first image is "a laptop". They label the second image as a wax tablet, and apparently include it to show that it doesn't match the first image. ... It looks close enough to me, but apparently not to whoever made the laptop suggestion.

I also didn't quite follow the article's explanation of why it couldn't be an open box or tray...
Yeah, I should have RTFA, on principle, as well as to avoid making the same joke as was in the headline...

But the holes have a very obvious explanation not mentioned in the article. The outer part of the " laptop" and of the servant's hands used to be attached via dowels there.
Old 16 February 2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
The woman’s eyes are focused on the inner lid of the object, the same location of a laptop monitor, conspiracy theorists claim.
It's hard to say where the eyes of the woman are focused since there is some important bit missing: colour. The ancient Greek sculptures used to be painted (http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-c...-17888/?no-ist). The painted eyes may well have focused downward.

Quote:
StillSpeakingOut says the object shown etched in the sculpture is much thinner than the wax tablets and that the woman isn’t holding stylus, also seen in Greek art with individuals using the wax tablet.
In the non-standardized production of ancient Greece, there may well have been different types of wax tablets. To my eyes, it resembles quite closely the one pictured below.
And maybe the woman isn't holding a stylus because she is not writing, but reading on the wax tablet? Maybe the attendant is presenting the planned menu for a party, or the household's monthly bills for approving?
Old 16 February 2016, 03:35 PM

At first glance they do look a lot more like someone using a tablet or laptop than those pictures people like Erich von Däniken used years ago to show us ancient aliens wearing space helmets!
Old 16 February 2016, 05:59 PM

Maybe young Aleksandros is showing Mama his completed homework, so he shall be spared a drubbing by his math tutor, Arithmetes?