snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 26 September 2018, 01:28 AM

Read This! A 200-year-old guide to color, redesigned for the internet age

Quote:
The nomenclature of colors we use today is really a machine language–numerical hex codes crafted to communicate with software on computers and printers. Before the age of CMYK and RBG, though, artists and scientists created their own languages for talking about and categorizing color. Though many have fallen into obscurity, at least one is now accessible to anyone with access to the internet: Werner’s Nomenclature of Colours.
https://www.fastcompany.com/90239248...e-internet-age
Old 26 September 2018, 04:10 PM

Neat! Thanks for posting, TGG.
Old 27 September 2018, 11:30 AM

It is very cool. Thanks! I found myself wanting to mention a few things just for fun/conversation. The OP article seems to imply that RGB and CMYK are from the information age but they go back to the early 20th century, albeit in a much more precise form than used in the codes mentioned. Also, the implication seems to be that computers don't use colour names. There are 140 colour names recognised by every browser for example and some of the names are every bit as interesting as those older ones... To me, at least.
https://www.w3schools.com/colors/colors_names.asp
Old 27 September 2018, 12:54 PM

"AliceBlue" is the one I use for spoilers which very-nearly-but-not-quite (as far as I can tell - much closer than white, anyway*) matches the background colour of the forums. But then you knew that already, ganzfeld, because I found it by copying one of your posts!

* (eta) In fact it might be exactly the right colour, but still show slight traces because of differently-coloured anti-aliasing near the edges of the characters, or something like that. Although the character set on the forum doesn't seem to obviously use anti-aliasing.
Old 27 September 2018, 01:08 PM

Although it wasn't really the point of the guide, I would have liked to see a description of how each colour was made back then.