snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #401  
Old 26 September 2018, 11:24 PM
GenYus234's Avatar
GenYus234 GenYus234 is offline
 
Join Date: 02 August 2005
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 26,255
Default

Except in the South.

Not because they can't count that high, but because I believe the traditional way to say "four" is "fo-wer".
Reply With Quote
  #402  
Old 26 September 2018, 11:43 PM
Lainie's Avatar
Lainie Lainie is online now
 
Join Date: 29 August 2005
Location: Suburban Columbus, OH
Posts: 74,475
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
OK, I guess I did try to describe it, a bit.
And very well, IMO. Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #403  
Old 26 September 2018, 11:59 PM
GenYus234's Avatar
GenYus234 GenYus234 is offline
 
Join Date: 02 August 2005
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 26,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
I'm not going to try to describe how ridiculous the standards are for what some people will consider "proof" or "evidence," and how a he said/she said situation is hand waved as fundamentally incapable of being resolved.
I'm guessing that's the same people that think that circumstantial evidence is essentially meaningless?
Reply With Quote
  #404  
Old 27 September 2018, 11:21 AM
ganzfeld's Avatar
ganzfeld ganzfeld is offline
 
Join Date: 05 September 2005
Location: Kyoto, Japan
Posts: 23,623
Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Except in the South.
Not because they can't count that high, but because I believe the traditional way to say "four" is "fo-wer".
Also true in the phonetic alphabet. Or at least very close: 'Fow-er' (Nine is also two syllables.) To wit
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_phonetic_alphabet
Reply With Quote
  #405  
Old 27 September 2018, 12:38 PM
Richard W's Avatar
Richard W Richard W is offline
 
Join Date: 19 February 2000
Location: High Wycombe, UK
Posts: 26,287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
I think the significance of 7 was probably imported into the biblical writings because it had significance already. The lunar cycle is 29.5 days. So 28 gets you pretty close. Which divides evenly up as 4x7. My guess is that that is where 7 gained significance.
Yes, four groups of seven days makes sense as a 28-day approximation to the lunar cycle that different civilisations might have come up with independently. I'd forgotten that the ancient calendars tended to start out lunar (because the cycles of the moon are much more obviously visible) rather than solar. And I couldn't think of a way to describe "our" calendar since although the year numbering is "Christian," the weeks have clearly been around since pre-Christian times and in most European languages are named after pagan gods so probably weren't taken from the Old Testament either, now that I think of it. (So "biblical" wasn't really appropriate either).

I wonder if anybody has used seven four-day weeks?
Reply With Quote
  #406  
Old 27 September 2018, 12:45 PM
DawnStorm's Avatar
DawnStorm DawnStorm is offline
 
Join Date: 11 March 2003
Location: Montgomery County, MD
Posts: 16,667
Chef

To answer the question about stew meat: the only reason I can think of is the popularity of slow cookers.
Reply With Quote
  #407  
Old 27 September 2018, 01:42 PM
Don Enrico's Avatar
Don Enrico Don Enrico is offline
 
Join Date: 05 October 2004
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 7,634
Default

Wikipedia lists several cultures with cycles of more or less than seven days, among them Ancient Rome (8 days), Ancient China and Ancient Egypt (10 days) and 10th century Iceland (5 days).

And then, there is the Pawukon:

Quote:
The Pawukon is a 210-day calendar that has its origins in the Hindu religion in Bali, Indonesia.
The calendar consists of 10 different concurrent weeks of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 days. On the first day of the year it is the first day of all the ten weeks.
Reply With Quote
  #408  
Old 27 September 2018, 02:38 PM
Sooeygun Sooeygun is offline
 
Join Date: 30 May 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 1,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
To answer the question about stew meat: the only reason I can think of is the popularity of slow cookers.
I would add the whole slow food movement. The tougher cuts are more popular to cook whole (or minimally broken down) reducing the available sources of stewing beef.

Now I have to remember to check at the butchers at the St Lawrence Market to see stew beef prices.
Reply With Quote
  #409  
Old 27 September 2018, 02:48 PM
UEL's Avatar
UEL UEL is offline
 
Join Date: 01 August 2004
Location: Fredericton, Canada
Posts: 9,286
Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
To answer the question about stew meat: the only reason I can think of is the popularity of slow cookers.
I was shopping for my usual Wednesday shop last night, and was surprised to see that Sue was indeed correct.

I stood back and looked at the display, and I noticed that there was a lot of ground beef. And it occurred to me, maybe they are making more ground beef which is resulting in an increased demand for stewing beef.

I may be out of it, but at that time it made sense to me.
Reply With Quote
  #410  
Old 27 September 2018, 06:09 PM
Lainie's Avatar
Lainie Lainie is online now
 
Join Date: 29 August 2005
Location: Suburban Columbus, OH
Posts: 74,475
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
I'm guessing that's the same people that think that circumstantial evidence is essentially meaningless?
This is a frequent yell-at-the-TV point for me. Just once I'd like to have heard some L&O defense attorney say "the case is purely circumstantial, McCoy" and McCoy respond with "What's your point?"

ETA: It's especially annoying when paired with the idea that eyewitness evidence more valuable. hahahahahahNO!
Reply With Quote
  #411  
Old 27 September 2018, 06:37 PM
WildaBeast's Avatar
WildaBeast WildaBeast is offline
 
Join Date: 18 July 2002
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 15,668
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
This is a frequent yell-at-the-TV point for me. Just once I'd like to have heard some L&O defense attorney say "the case is purely circumstantial, McCoy" and McCoy respond with "What's your point?"
A now long snopester, I think it was Mr. Fed, once gave a good explanation of circumstantial evidence. IIRC he said he used it on juries when he was a prosecutor:

Suppose you wake up in the middle of the night and hear what sounds like rain falling on the roof. The next morning you get up and the sun is out, but the ground is wet. You didn't actually witness any rain falling. You only have circumstantial evidence that it rained last night, but that's the conclusion any reasonable person would reach.
Reply With Quote
  #412  
Old 28 September 2018, 02:55 PM
ChasFink's Avatar
ChasFink ChasFink is offline
 
Join Date: 09 December 2015
Location: Mineola, NY
Posts: 891
Icon05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
Wikipedia lists several cultures with cycles of more or less than seven days, among them Ancient Rome (8 days), Ancient China and Ancient Egypt (10 days) and 10th century Iceland (5 days).

And then, there is the Pawukon:
Quote:
The Pawukon is a 210-day calendar that has its origins in the Hindu religion in Bali, Indonesia.
The calendar consists of 10 different concurrent weeks of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 days. On the first day of the year it is the first day of all the ten weeks.

If there are 10 different cycles of measurement going on concurrently, I think it strains the definition of the word "week" to apply that word to all of them. Surely it's ridiculous to call a one-day period a week when you can just call it a day.
Reply With Quote
  #413  
Old 28 September 2018, 07:30 PM
erwins's Avatar
erwins erwins is offline
 
Join Date: 04 April 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 12,189
Default

Another example for the circumstantial evidence issue:

Suppose D is locked in a windowless, soundproof room with V. After 15 minutes, D comes out of the room, covered in blood. Inside the room is V, dead from bludgeoning, and a bloody baseball bat with only D's fingerprints on it. D says, "hey, let me go, all you've got is circumstantial evidence."
Reply With Quote
  #414  
Old 28 September 2018, 07:37 PM
Seaboe Muffinchucker's Avatar
Seaboe Muffinchucker Seaboe Muffinchucker is offline
 
Join Date: 30 June 2005
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 18,728
Glasses

I don't know, erwins. Whose blood is it?

(don't worry, I'm joking. I'm another who gets really irked by the dismissal of circumstantial evidence).

Seaboe
Reply With Quote
  #415  
Old 28 September 2018, 11:50 PM
ASL's Avatar
ASL ASL is offline
 
Join Date: 04 July 2003
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 5,670
Ponder

Who locked them in the room is what I want to know. And why?
Reply With Quote
  #416  
Old 29 September 2018, 12:08 AM
GenYus234's Avatar
GenYus234 GenYus234 is offline
 
Join Date: 02 August 2005
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 26,255
Default

erwins, remind me to skip a murder mystery night if you host, it sounds pretty lame.
Reply With Quote
  #417  
Old 29 September 2018, 01:39 AM
ASL's Avatar
ASL ASL is offline
 
Join Date: 04 July 2003
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 5,670
Icon102

Sounds like an obvious ploy to establish an alibi for yourself. Murderer.
Reply With Quote
  #418  
Old 29 September 2018, 01:56 AM
Skeptic's Avatar
Skeptic Skeptic is offline
 
Join Date: 16 July 2005
Location: Logan, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 1,797
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Stupid grocery related question: since when is stewing beef more expensive than steak? I wanted to make a stew for dinner this week and it was actually cheaper to buy a steak and cut it up. Have tougher cuts of beef somehow become trendy and I never noticed?
I'm the same with corned beef. Why is it about half the price of a similar roast, when there's more work gone in to its preparation.
Reply With Quote
  #419  
Old 29 September 2018, 02:09 AM
thorny locust's Avatar
thorny locust thorny locust is offline
 
Join Date: 27 April 2007
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 9,508
Default

Isn't corned beef usually brisket, or something similar? I don't think that's a cut that you'd usually roast on its own; I always assumed it was too tough, and needed the corning process to help make it tender; and was relatively cheap because otherwise unsalable. It occurs to me that I've been just assuming that, though, and might be wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #420  
Old 29 September 2018, 11:33 AM
Dasla's Avatar
Dasla Dasla is offline
 
Join Date: 15 April 2010
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 3,677
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
Isn't corned beef usually brisket, or something similar? I don't think that's a cut that you'd usually roast on its own; I always assumed it was too tough, and needed the corning process to help make it tender; and was relatively cheap because otherwise unsalable. It occurs to me that I've been just assuming that, though, and might be wrong.
Brisket or silverside according my cooking reference book. Mum used to buy corned silverside. I have only done corned meat once. To get a big enough piece to make it worthwhile for one person...well it is a lot of meat for one person.

I usually just buy the meat I need for my meal plan or if something is on special or marked down I will buy that and adjust my plan. I will have a look next time I am at the supermarket or the butcher (I am planning to go to the butcher next week as I want some ham for sandwiches).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stupid questions MisterGrey SLC 1002 05 October 2014 07:25 AM
Stupid questions Sue SLC 1062 25 June 2014 06:59 PM
Stupid questions Mr. Billion SLC 1034 15 April 2014 12:20 AM
Stupid questions Mouse SLC 1088 12 February 2014 10:21 PM
Stupid pet questions CenTex Wild Kingdom 46 11 June 2013 03:01 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.