snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Crash and Burn

Old 15 July 2017, 12:58 AM

Icon09 Woman taking selfie causes $200,000 worth of damage at art exhibit

This may be one of the most expensive selfies yet.

Pedestals holding valuable sculptures toppled over — domino-style — at pop-up art exhibition two weeks ago after a visitor lost her balance as she snapped a quick picture, causing $200,000 worth of damage.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/woman-ta...t-art-exhibit/
Old 15 July 2017, 01:45 AM

On the one hand, yes, she should have been more careful.

On the other: why did the people who set up the exhibit put fragile works on stands that were easily knocked over, to the point at which bumping into one of them caused ten of them to fall, in an exhibit apparently designed for people to walk through and between the stands? Selfie or no selfie, that seems like an accident waiting to happen.

thorny -- perfectly capable of banging into six things on an average day with no cameras involved -- locust
Old 15 July 2017, 01:53 AM

Reading

Yeah, it seems like one of those cartoon gags. Which one I can't remember, but what a terrible setup. Does the eggshell skull rule apply to property damage, or just personal injury? Is there an analogous concept for property damage? It does seem like the exhibitors bear a substantial portion of the blame for such shoddy mounting. Or was that part of the "art"? The general shoddiness? Something about the frailty of our world and the human condition?
Old 15 July 2017, 01:59 AM

It looks to me so much like something from a prank show, that I'm having a hard time believing its not.
Old 15 July 2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
Yeah, it seems like one of those cartoon gags. Which one I can't remember, but what a terrible setup. Does the eggshell skull rule apply to property damage, or just personal injury? Is there an analogous concept for property damage?
Not that I'm aware of. Even the eggshell skull rule doesn't negate the plaintiff's own responsibility if his actions made him fragile, e.g. by getting drunk. Disclaimer: I don't practice in this area of law and it's been a while since I took torts, but comparative/contributory negligence would seem to apply.
Old 17 July 2017, 03:37 AM

Not to say it wasn't a real accident but I found this non-denial denial interesting.
Quote:
Some questioned whether the expensive mishap was really just a PR stunt.

"The truth is, the event did happen and it was caught on our security camera," Ingram said. "It would be pretty irrational for the artists behind these sculptures to intentionally inflict harm on their own work hoping to gain any benefit."
Well, no one is questioning whether it actually happened. Also, isn't it just one artist's exhibit?

About the issue of responsibility, this gallery was promoting their exhibits as a great place to take selfies. Then there is the quote of the artist himself saying, "People ask why the plinths were not bolted down. Well, people are warned to be cautious in that room but the idea was that they should be delicate, exposed and fragile." So, no, I don't think they can blame the selfie at all. They're saying "we decided not to take action" against her because she was sorry and is a student. Actually, they're really lucky no one was injured and taking action against them. I hope they're being a bit more responsible. Those stands may not be as heavy as a Richard Serra steel panel but I bet they can still injure someone when they all topple over like that.

Last edited by ganzfeld; 17 July 2017 at 03:47 AM.
Old 17 July 2017, 04:46 AM

Cheer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
Or was that part of the "art"? The general shoddiness? Something about the frailty of our world and the human condition?
Nailed it! Or at least pretty close...
Old 17 July 2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
the quote of the artist himself saying, "[ . . . ] the idea was that they should be delicate, exposed and fragile."
It apparently hadn't sunk through to the artist that the essence of being simultaneously "delicate, exposed, and fragile" can also be expressed as 'very likely to get broken.'
Old 17 July 2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
It apparently hadn't sunk through to the artist that the essence of being simultaneously "delicate, exposed, and fragile" can also be expressed as 'very likely to get broken.'
I speak as a very clumsy person, and I would have been terrified wandering through that exhibit given my tendency to bump into things, klutz that I am. A small part of me wonders just what the artist expected to happen having things "delicate, exposed and fragile".
Old 17 July 2017, 07:20 PM

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochrie99 View Post
A small part of me wonders just what the artist expected to happen having things "delicate, exposed and fragile".
Notoriety? Publicity? Free advertising? So many possibilities!

Or, and I don't discount this, they were just that dumb.
Old 17 July 2017, 09:12 PM

The $200,000 value is rather suspect.
Old 17 July 2017, 11:18 PM

Yes. It's just an arbitrary "average" times ten - not even taking into account that less than ten items were broken. I think some of his pieces sell for even more than that 20 k but not necessarily these ceramic crowns. Not a big market for parts of an installation so, no, not likely.
Old 18 July 2017, 03:51 PM

Psychic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
On the one hand, yes, she should have been more careful.

On the other: why did the people who set up the exhibit put fragile works on stands that were easily knocked over, to the point at which bumping into one of them caused ten of them to fall, in an exhibit apparently designed for people to walk through and between the stands? Selfie or no selfie, that seems like an accident waiting to happen.

thorny -- perfectly capable of banging into six things on an average day with no cameras involved -- locust
Especially in Los Angeles, which is known for earthquakes!