snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Crash and Burn

Old 29 June 2017, 07:07 PM

Default He thought a book would stop a bullet and make him a YouTube star. Now hes dead

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...-hes-dead.html

"With one camera attached to a ladder and the other propped on the back of a car, Pedro Ruiz III held an encyclopedia to his chest and then his 19-year-old girlfriend shot him dead with a Desert Eagle .50 calibre pistol, authorities said. The couple wanted to be famous on the Internet, family said."

I imagine Mythbusters has tried this (without an actual human on the receiving end).
Old 29 June 2017, 07:15 PM

They used a Desert Eagle? No wonder- a .50 cal bullet takes a lot to stop. If they'd tried using a low-caliber gun he might have survived, but even so, any plan has "and then my girlfriend shoots me in the chest with a real gun" is a very, very bad plan.
Old 29 June 2017, 08:27 PM

Almost any plan that involves human testing as the first try (or even second), is usually a very, very bad plan.

And yes, Mythbusters tried itwith phonebooks. From the video, the phonebooks were thicker than the individual books in most encyclopedia sets that I've seen. They found that phonebooks would stop a 45 caliber ACP, but not a deer slug from 30 feet. A 45 ACP has from 350 - 600 ft/lbs of muzzle energy, a 50 AE has 1,250 - 2,000.
Old 29 June 2017, 09:04 PM

Exactly what I was thinking -- why didn't they at least try it without a human behind the book first to make sure it would work? I wonder if they saw the Mythbusters episode and that was why they thought it would work (and obviously ignored the "don't try this at home" warnings). ETA: I see the myth was declared "busted", but they could have misremembered the results and just remembered that it did stop some kinds of bullets. But obviously they didn't replicate their test exactly.

Last edited by WildaBeast; 29 June 2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old 29 June 2017, 09:29 PM

According to the article, they did try it first:

Quote:
He even had evidence that it had worked once before a different book with an entrance hole but no exit.
(No details are given as to whether it was the same size book, same bullet type/gun, etc.) However, even assuming that the book was capable of stopping the bullet per a previous test, there are still so many ways in which this could go wrong that it was still an incredibly dumb idea.
Old 29 June 2017, 09:50 PM

So they did. I just skimmed the article and missed that part.
Old 29 June 2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Almost any plan that involves human testing as the first try (or even second), is usually a very, very bad plan.
My point was that any plan that involves getting shot on purpose is bad, no matter how many tries you've done it.

If I remember my Mythbusters ballistics tests correctly, in general having multiple layers of material with different densities provided the most effective means of stopping bullets. A single book means you've only got one layer of the same density.
Old 29 June 2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
My point was that any plan that involves getting shot on purpose is bad, no matter how many tries you've done it.
I meant to be adding another layer to the "why this was bad" idea.

Layer 1: Viral video idea you are doing just to gain YouTube hits - possibly bad idea*.
Layer 2: Viral video idea you have to work over and over to convince another person to do it - very possibly bad idea.
Layer 3: Viral video idea that is tested on a human after only one successful test (or none) - 9 out of 10 times it is bad idea.
Layer 4: Viral video idea that involves shooting a gun - 99 out of 100 times it is a bad idea.
Layber 5: Viral video idea that involves you getting shot - 1 out of 1 times it is a bad idea.

* Gutter Monkey notwithstanding
Old 30 June 2017, 12:09 PM

Wow, even if the couple used Mythbusters, shouldn't they have realized the value of Buster? A mannekin with a .50 caliber bullet in it would still have been a YouTube video, and he wouldn't have left two kids without a father.

Ali
Old 30 June 2017, 05:53 PM

Computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Infree View Post
Wow, even if the couple used Mythbusters, shouldn't they have realized the value of Buster? A mannekin with a .50 caliber bullet in it would still have been a YouTube video, and he wouldn't have left two kids without a father.

Ali
A guy shooting a dummy through a phone book wouldn't go viral.

Unless he had one hell of a soundtrack and a hot bod...
Old 30 June 2017, 06:27 PM

Glasses

I seem to recall that there was someone saved by a book in his pocket (not TR; that was either his folded speech or a glasses case)--but that person was injured. And it was a long time ago, with all that means concerning firearms technology.

Seaboe
Old 30 June 2017, 07:28 PM

That actually happened to a lot of people in the 19th and early 20th century. Older firearms with lower velocity ammunition were prone to being stopped by all sorts of things. In World War 2, many soldiers would carry a bible with them because the bibles had metal-backed covers and due to this actually were fairly effective at stopping bullets. Stories tend to leave out the metal cover part, though. Heck, there's even one confirmed instance of a woman who was shot in the chest only to have the bullet stopped by the silicon breast implant she had.

However, since modern firearms tend to fire higher-velocity ammunition, it's much rarer for them to be stopped by something like that unless it's a ricochet or something else already bled off some of its velocity.
Old 30 June 2017, 08:33 PM

An FSU student named Jason Derfuss was saved by a pair of books he had in his backpack.

One book is over 300 pages, the second probably about that as well and the gun used was a .380, one of the weaker handgun calibers.
Old 30 June 2017, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
* Gutter Monkey notwithstanding
None of my videos have exactly gone viral so I think I'm in the clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
A guy shooting a dummy through a phone book wouldn't go viral.
To be honest I don't think that he would have gone viral even if the stunt had worked. There's a lot of videos of people doing dumb things with guns, people doing dangerous stunts and videos that look dangerous but were faked. He would have to have been pretty lucky for Reddit or a 'content provider' site like LADbible to push him into viral territory.
Old 30 June 2017, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
...In World War 2, many soldiers would carry a bible with them because the bibles had metal-backed covers and due to this actually were fairly effective at stopping bullets. Stories tend to leave out the metal cover part, though...
It has also been found that air, while not all that effective at stopping bullets, is pretty good at slowing them down. Given a few hundred feet of the stuff, it's likely you'd get down to the level at which a large book would be sufficient for full arrest.
Old 30 June 2017, 11:40 PM

Reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
To be honest I don't think that he would have gone viral even if the stunt had worked.
Sure, but least of all shooting a book. Unless it was a Quran. That plus a catchy soundtrack and a hot bod might have done it...
Old 01 July 2017, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoKu View Post
It has also been found that air, while not all that effective at stopping bullets, is pretty good at slowing them down. Given a few hundred feet of the stuff, it's likely you'd get down to the level at which a large book would be sufficient for full arrest.
Uh, would you want someone firing a handgun at you from a few hundred feet away, with a book for a target?

I actually wondered if distance might have been a variable from the test shot. GF (or the guy?) shoots the book and the bullet is stopped. GF prepares to shoot at guy holding book, and nervous about accuracy, moves a little closer. Bullet now goes through. Of course, it could have been a lot of things that made the difference.
Old 01 July 2017, 10:47 AM

Reading

I wonder also if the book being held stationary or not (allowed to move back an inch or two while absorbing the bullet or even tip over) might have had something to do with it as well.
Old 01 July 2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
Uh, would you want someone firing a handgun at you from a few hundred feet away, with a book for a target?

I actually wondered if distance might have been a variable from the test shot. GF (or the guy?) shoots the book and the bullet is stopped. GF prepares to shoot at guy holding book, and nervous about accuracy, moves a little closer. Bullet now goes through. Of course, it could have been a lot of things that made the difference.
Given how short the accurate range of a handgun is, I doubt it. Bullets retain a lot of killing power well beyond the range that an average person can reliably hit a target with an unscoped pistol. People have put scopes on Desert Eagles and used them to hunt grizzly bears: if the gun will kill a grizzly at a range you need a scope for an accurate shot, distance wouldn't have played a significant factor here.
Old 03 July 2017, 09:57 AM

I feel particularly sorry for the girlfriend. It doesn't matter how stupid she was. Your boyfriend's accidental death at your own hands isn't justified punishment for a moment of stupidity. It's a terrible incident all around and I can't even imagine what is going through her head now.