Comment: It has been reported on the internet that you can get your mail
delivered to its destination more quickly by writing a seven-digit number
on the reverse side of the envelope, which is comprised of two digits for
the zip code of the sender, two digits for the zip code of the recipient,
and a three-digit LPC or BRL number. There are also videos posted on
YouTube making the same claim. See the hyperlinks below. Others have said
that this is a hoax and, indeed, persistent online searching for anything
called an LPC or BRL number has turned up nothing. Is there anything to
this or is it, as I strongly suspect, purely a prank?

http://www.ehow.com/how_2245730_mail...ed-faster.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPhXVrp0_oI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY8EwjULQOI
Old 14 November 2009, 03:34 PM

Total hoax. The auto-scanning equipment the USPS uses is only set up to scan the FRONT of envelopes. Manually scanned envelopes are only looked at from the front - so nothing and nobody is going to know that you put a number on the back, or even a "SWAS" (sealed with a slurp!).
Old 16 November 2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malruhn View Post
Total hoax. The auto-scanning equipment the USPS uses is only set up to scan the FRONT of envelopes. Manually scanned envelopes are only looked at from the front - so nothing and nobody is going to know that you put a number on the back, or even a "SWAS" (sealed with a slurp!).
That's what the Post Office wants you to believe.

They could be totally efficient if they wanted. Instead they would rather show preferencial treatment to those that listen to random internet dude. This way they can start a class war between the gullible and the fact believers. This war will culminate in a final climactic battle in the city of the fiery lake. The triplets will arise from the ashes and deliver unto the masses an unsolicited catalogue. A new world order will be instilled and jack booted postmen will enforce the usage of the new 853 digit zip code.

Photo "A guy outside the Post Office explained it all to me while I waited to buy the new "ISLAM RULES!" stamps Obama is now requiring be used to mail all Christmas cards." Bob
Old 02 January 2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
The auto-scanning equipment the USPS uses is only set up to scan the FRONT of envelopes.
Some years back the USPS was indeed marking the backs of envelopes with a bar coding of some type. I just located a November 2006 mailed envelope with that bar coding on the back. Unlike the PostNet bar coding on the front which uses different height bars for the coding, the rear bar coding appears to use equal height bars with some type of space coding.

see:

http://www.usps.com/news/2001/press/pr01_002.htm

I don't recall ever seeing a handy decoding chart for these rear of the envelope codings, but I suspect they are mailpiece unique.

In the Mark Erickson video, about 50 seconds in, he holds up an envelope said to be for South Bend, IN, but the PostNet coding does not appear to match the 46556 Zip Code. As best as I can tell, the PostNet bar coding is for a section of Brooklyn, NY, 11215. The entire coding, as seen in the video is 11215150187. I could not see the entire PostNEt coding, to verify the checksum final digit, but it that is an 11-digit delivery point bar code, that bar code is for 87 8th Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11215-1501.

But the key is from this web site:

http://servo3000.wordpress.com/2008/...ite-solutions/

"The thing that makes Mark stand out is that the advice he gives is entirely fake."
Old 02 January 2011, 05:32 PM

I think I know why that November 2006 letter was bar coded on the back.

The 2001 USPS press release:

One is the orange Identification Code placed on the back of letters for Remote ZIP Encoding. Similar to a license tag, the unique code identifies individual mail pieces and is applied to letter mail when high-speed sorters cannot correctly read address image information necessary to apply barcodes. In this case, the physical mailpiece bearing the orange bar code on the back remains at the mail processing center. The scanned address image is "e-mailed" off-site to a Remote Encoding Center where human operators read the scanned image, key in the correct ZIP Code information, and then "e-mail" the data back to the mail processing plant. There the correct barcode is matched to the physical envelope bearing the unique orange license tag so the mail piece can continue automated processing.

Here is what I think happened. The envelope had an incorrect Zip plus Four bar address, having 5 digits in the "plus Four." 00001 vice the correct 0001. The PostNet coding on the front of the envelope is correct as +0001. So, it appears the envelope was remote read and then the correct PostNet coding applied.