snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Hurricane Katrina

Old 01 July 2007, 06:53 AM

Icon81 New Orleans deaths up 47%

Hurricane Katrina's tragic aftermath lingered for at least a year after the storm abated, boosting New Orleans' death rate last year by 47% compared with two years before the levees broke.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ns-crime_N.htm
Old 01 July 2007, 03:19 PM

*Groans* I can see it now. A decade from now they'll still be blaming everything that goes wrong in that city on Katrina.

New Orleans has had a high crime rate and a poor medical infrastructure for a long, long time. What did Katrina somehow open a hole in the space time continuum and retroactively cause problems?
Old 01 July 2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
*Groans* I can see it now. A decade from now they'll still be blaming everything that goes wrong in that city on Katrina.

New Orleans has had a high crime rate and a poor medical infrastructure for a long, long time. What did Katrina somehow open a hole in the space time continuum and retroactively cause problems?
The point is, as those of us who read the article know, that Katrina caused the medical infrastructure to get worse. Which has caused deaths. I realize that an increase in the death rate of major city elicits nothing but a groan from those who like to play the cynic, but some of us actually find these statistics important.
Old 01 July 2007, 06:00 PM

Naw its just that I can already see the trend to take the fiasco surrounding Katrina and the aftermath to act as if New Orleans wasn't already an urban nightmare.

As you said, Katrina caused problems in New Orleans to get worst, but for the most part all it did was light a match on what was already a powder keg.

Prior to Katrina New Orleans still had a high crime rate and a notoriously out of date and in need of overhaul infrastructure.

The New Orleans city and Louisiana state leaders failed the people New Orleans as much or more then the Federal Government. They are the ones who have been stacking the powder kegs higher and higher, the Federal Government just lit the match.
Old 01 July 2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Naw its just that I can already see the trend to take the fiasco surrounding Katrina and the aftermath to act as if New Orleans wasn't already an urban nightmare.

As you said, Katrina caused problems in New Orleans to get worst, but for the most part all it did was light a match on what was already a powder keg.

Prior to Katrina New Orleans still had a high crime rate and a notoriously out of date and in need of overhaul infrastructure.

The New Orleans city and Louisiana state leaders failed the people New Orleans as much or more then the Federal Government. They are the ones who have been stacking the powder kegs higher and higher, the Federal Government just lit the match.
There's a trend to act as though New Orleans wasn't in bad shape before Katrina? I'm curious if you could name a single person in the media whose argued such a thing. It certainly isn't even implied in the article that New Orleans was some utopia before Katrina.
Old 01 July 2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
There's a trend to act as though New Orleans wasn't in bad shape before Katrina? I'm curious if you could name a single person in the media whose argued such a thing. It certainly isn't even implied in the article that New Orleans was some utopia before Katrina.
Well mainly, and looking back I guess I did kinda go off on a tangent and hijack the thread, I'm talking about people like Ray Nagin and Kathleen Blanco jumping on the chance to criticize Bush's handling of post Katrina and no one it seemed to make the connection that neither of them did anything "pre" Katrina. Bush certainly messed up, but Nagin and Blanco had no right to be the ones complaining, and should of been right up there on the chopping block with him as far as I'm concerned.
Old 01 July 2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Well mainly, and looking back I guess I did kinda go off on a tangent and hijack the thread, I'm talking about people like Ray Nagin and Kathleen Blanco jumping on the chance to criticize Bush's handling of post Katrina and no one it seemed to make the connection that neither of them did anything "pre" Katrina. Bush certainly messed up, but Nagin and Blanco had no right to be the ones complaining, and should of been right up there on the chopping block with him as far as I'm concerned.
No one criticised them? Read Doug Brinkley's book on Katrina. Read any other book on the subject. Are there any in-depth looks at the topic that don't criticise those two?