snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Hurricane Katrina

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01 July 2007, 06:53 AM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,624
Icon81 New Orleans deaths up 47%

Hurricane Katrina's tragic aftermath lingered for at least a year after the storm abated, boosting New Orleans' death rate last year by 47% compared with two years before the levees broke.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ns-crime_N.htm
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01 July 2007, 03:19 PM
JoeBentley's Avatar
JoeBentley JoeBentley is offline
 
Join Date: 23 June 2002
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 21,796
Default

*Groans* I can see it now. A decade from now they'll still be blaming everything that goes wrong in that city on Katrina.

New Orleans has had a high crime rate and a poor medical infrastructure for a long, long time. What did Katrina somehow open a hole in the space time continuum and retroactively cause problems?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01 July 2007, 04:21 PM
Steve Steve is offline
 
Join Date: 19 October 2002
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 4,716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
*Groans* I can see it now. A decade from now they'll still be blaming everything that goes wrong in that city on Katrina.

New Orleans has had a high crime rate and a poor medical infrastructure for a long, long time. What did Katrina somehow open a hole in the space time continuum and retroactively cause problems?
The point is, as those of us who read the article know, that Katrina caused the medical infrastructure to get worse. Which has caused deaths. I realize that an increase in the death rate of major city elicits nothing but a groan from those who like to play the cynic, but some of us actually find these statistics important.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01 July 2007, 06:00 PM
JoeBentley's Avatar
JoeBentley JoeBentley is offline
 
Join Date: 23 June 2002
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 21,796
Default

Naw its just that I can already see the trend to take the fiasco surrounding Katrina and the aftermath to act as if New Orleans wasn't already an urban nightmare.

As you said, Katrina caused problems in New Orleans to get worst, but for the most part all it did was light a match on what was already a powder keg.

Prior to Katrina New Orleans still had a high crime rate and a notoriously out of date and in need of overhaul infrastructure.

The New Orleans city and Louisiana state leaders failed the people New Orleans as much or more then the Federal Government. They are the ones who have been stacking the powder kegs higher and higher, the Federal Government just lit the match.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01 July 2007, 06:21 PM
Steve Steve is offline
 
Join Date: 19 October 2002
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 4,716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
Naw its just that I can already see the trend to take the fiasco surrounding Katrina and the aftermath to act as if New Orleans wasn't already an urban nightmare.

As you said, Katrina caused problems in New Orleans to get worst, but for the most part all it did was light a match on what was already a powder keg.

Prior to Katrina New Orleans still had a high crime rate and a notoriously out of date and in need of overhaul infrastructure.

The New Orleans city and Louisiana state leaders failed the people New Orleans as much or more then the Federal Government. They are the ones who have been stacking the powder kegs higher and higher, the Federal Government just lit the match.
There's a trend to act as though New Orleans wasn't in bad shape before Katrina? I'm curious if you could name a single person in the media whose argued such a thing. It certainly isn't even implied in the article that New Orleans was some utopia before Katrina.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01 July 2007, 06:29 PM
JoeBentley's Avatar
JoeBentley JoeBentley is offline
 
Join Date: 23 June 2002
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 21,796
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
There's a trend to act as though New Orleans wasn't in bad shape before Katrina? I'm curious if you could name a single person in the media whose argued such a thing. It certainly isn't even implied in the article that New Orleans was some utopia before Katrina.
Well mainly, and looking back I guess I did kinda go off on a tangent and hijack the thread, I'm talking about people like Ray Nagin and Kathleen Blanco jumping on the chance to criticize Bush's handling of post Katrina and no one it seemed to make the connection that neither of them did anything "pre" Katrina. Bush certainly messed up, but Nagin and Blanco had no right to be the ones complaining, and should of been right up there on the chopping block with him as far as I'm concerned.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01 July 2007, 06:41 PM
Steve Steve is offline
 
Join Date: 19 October 2002
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 4,716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBentley View Post
Well mainly, and looking back I guess I did kinda go off on a tangent and hijack the thread, I'm talking about people like Ray Nagin and Kathleen Blanco jumping on the chance to criticize Bush's handling of post Katrina and no one it seemed to make the connection that neither of them did anything "pre" Katrina. Bush certainly messed up, but Nagin and Blanco had no right to be the ones complaining, and should of been right up there on the chopping block with him as far as I'm concerned.
No one criticised them? Read Doug Brinkley's book on Katrina. Read any other book on the subject. Are there any in-depth looks at the topic that don't criticise those two?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.