snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Crash and Burn

Old 22 July 2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochrie99 View Post
You'd not be the only one, I fear. I know I would find it nearly impossible to resist doing something physical to them. And, like you, I would probably find my own repercussions supremely worth it.

Vermin, the lot of them. Some humans are beyond help, even in teenagerhood. I venture this gang definitely belong in that catagory. They're irredeemable.

I'd like to believe they will regret their actions (and their inactions) for the rest of their lives. I don't believe that to be true though, sadly.
Old 22 July 2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
I read somewhere recently that 1 in 4 people have no conscience (the article called them sociopaths)
That sounds high to me. WebMD gives the figure as 0.6% of the population.

My reaction is closer to ASL's. Yes, it saddens me every time I see people emphatically not giving a sh*t in the face of human suffering, but this just doesn't produce the same visceral reaction in me that half the news about the Trump administration's latest antics does. I'm also not incapable of feeling empathy for those kids. I remember what it was like to stand there feeling frozen and helpless while my peers did something that felt wrong to me and not quite knowing what to do about it. I have laughed out of nervousness rather than glee. I'm better at this stuff now than I was at 14, but I'm still not perfect. If sociopathy can be diagnosed from one's worst moments, then perhaps I am one of those one in four.
Old 23 July 2017, 02:54 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
My reaction is closer to ASL's. Yes, it saddens me every time I see people emphatically not giving a sh*t in the face of human suffering, but this just doesn't produce the same visceral reaction in me that half the news about the Trump administration's latest antics does. I'm also not incapable of feeling empathy for those kids. I remember what it was like to stand there feeling frozen and helpless while my peers did something that felt wrong to me and not quite knowing what to do about it. I have laughed out of nervousness rather than glee. I'm better at this stuff now than I was at 14, but I'm still not perfect. If sociopathy can be diagnosed from one's worst moments, then perhaps I am one of those one in four.
Pretty much agree with you on most accounts, plus you do have to remember the old Bystander Effect. The effect is probably worse when they're teens, seeing as they still don't have much of a sense of self.

It's horrible, but at the same time, it doesn't produce the visceral reaction the way Trump and Co. do. First of all, they are teenagers, so there's still hope that they'll grow out of it and be like, "Christ, what the hell was wrong with me?" Whereas Trump is in his seventies, so unless he's visited by three ghosts, it's not likely to happen. Secondly, however NFBSKed up these kids may be, there are limits to the amount of damage they can do. They are assholes, but they can't legislate their assholery into law and screw people on a national and international level like Trump and Co.
Old 23 July 2017, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprise Me View Post
That sounds high to me. WebMD gives the figure as 0.6% of the population.
It's not really fair to compare a group of teenagers to the population. Teenagers are not only still developing empathy but some show a marked decline between the ages of 13 and 16. It's just 'normal' development. I don't think we can expect them to react in the same way an adult would. 25 and still acting like this? Yes, that would seem a bit sociopathic. (Still doesn't mean they would be sociopaths.)