snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 05 September 2017, 02:50 PM

Shout Robo rage: Area codes around DC that get the most robocalls

Article at this link: http://wtop.com/local/2017/09/robo-rage-area-codes-dc/

Seems the DC area is a robocaller's main stomping ground, but I'm sure many of you others would beg to differ.

My friends and I were discussing this one day; one my friends got a call about some student loans, which wouldn't be funny if my friend was not a retired DOJ attorney. Any loans he might have had have been paid off decades ago.
Old 05 September 2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
“Spoofing” is the practice of disguising an originating phone number from caller ID.
I've also noticed a relatively recent trend where the spoofed number that shows up on my caller ID has the same area code and first three digits as my own number. Apparently this practice even has a name -- "neighbor spoofing". The idea, of course, is to trick you into answering by making you think the call might be from one of your neighbors, or your kid's school, or something else local to you. It might work with landlines, but since I only have a cell phone it backfires with me. Seeing a number with the same first three digits as my own is a dead giveaway that it's a robocall. I don't know anyone with a phone number with the same first three digits as mine.
Old 05 September 2017, 05:16 PM

Definitely, WB. I noticed the same thing around here for at least a few years with robos to my cell (I know better now, but I thought it must be someone from the same institution as me- even got the same exchange and 3 of the 4 least digits), but more recently to my house- so much that it also had a name that sounded like my ethnicity* (must have been a coincidence because my name does not).

*Not that it would matter in me answering, I just thought it might be someone calling from my house of worship.

ETA: To my cell, I have gotten a call spoofed as being from my number.
Old 05 September 2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I've also noticed a relatively recent trend where the spoofed number that shows up on my caller ID has the same area code and first three digits as my own number. Apparently this practice even has a name -- "neighbor spoofing". The idea, of course, is to trick you into answering by making you think the call might be from one of your neighbors, or your kid's school, or something else local to you. It might work with landlines, but since I only have a cell phone it backfires with me. Seeing a number with the same first three digits as my own is a dead giveaway that it's a robocall. I don't know anyone with a phone number with the same first three digits as mine.
How does this even work, like how is it accomplished? We wondered if someone was using our phone number for such a purpose a year or so ago, because we kept getting calls from people insisting that we had called them when we knew we clearly had not.

Some of it we attributed to a misnumbered dentist office that is one digit off from ours on a business card or something, but the whole situation was just weird. (and annoying both for us and everyone else involved)

Lately it's been annoying because while we usually avoid picking up the phone for unrecognized numbers, last month we received many calls from people we didn't know or hadn't spoken to in years/decades coming out of the woodwork after my aunt passed away.
Old 05 September 2017, 05:53 PM

Spoofing can be pretty easy with certain types of telephone connection. In a nutshell, the caller ID is sent with the ring signal to the phone line by the switch provider of the caller. For a standard landline or cell phone, that provider is the company the phone service is contracted for. For VoIP or trunk lines*, the switch provider is often the company itself, rather than a contracted phone provider. During setup of they system, they enter the phone number and/or caller information themselves and can change it with a few keystrokes. The robocallers have their system to where it looks at the number being called and automatically changes the outgoing signal to duplicate the area code and exchange.

* Company phone systems. If you dial a 9 to call outside the company, it is probably a trunk line of some flavor.
Old 05 September 2017, 06:02 PM

I no longer answer my landline or cell phone unless I know who is calling. With the cell phone, I will click the power button to silence it, so as to not have to listen to the ringing and disturb others. Will this alert the robocallers that the line is active, or will it just look like an average non-answer to them?

I also found this site with some tips. Anyone have experience with the apps they describe? I'm curious about YouMail.
https://www.boston.com/news/technolo...w-to-stop-them

I'm also confused as to what Congress is doing about it, blocking or allowing? Sounds like another partisan angle.

Last edited by Phantom; 05 September 2017 at 06:09 PM. Reason: moar questions and resources
Old 05 September 2017, 06:10 PM

One time, I got a call with my own name and number on the caller ID.