snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 23 May 2018, 10:04 PM

Default Little things that make you happy

Last month, when I was out of town, I stopped in a thrift store that was having an art sale. I got a print for $2, which was matted to an odd size, slightly over 16 x 18 inches. I set it aside and planned to get either a new mat in a more conventional size, or a custom frame for it.

Today while browsing a local thrift store, I was looking for a 16 x 20 frame, when I found a frame -- with glass -- that happens to be 16 x 18. And it was only $1.50! I still had to trim a bit off the mat of my print to make it fit, but it looks great.
Old 24 May 2018, 03:08 PM

Glasses

I am busy at work without feeling overly busy. My job is such a roller coaster (it's dependent on what other people need) that this middle ground is rare and to be cherished.

Seaboe
Old 25 May 2018, 12:42 AM

XKCD has finally posted a new What-if
https://what-if.xkcd.com/
Old 25 May 2018, 11:50 AM

Thank you jimmy. That was very good to see, and a great explainer.
Old 25 May 2018, 02:59 PM

Glasses

A coworker told me she didn't want me to retire (even though any potential dates are 2.5 years away).

Seaboe
Old 27 May 2018, 03:22 AM

Mouse

I got a check from my grandma for thirty dollars.
Old 27 May 2018, 05:12 AM

Snapea crisps Ceasar. I generally don't care for chips or crunchy snacks, but I love these things.
Old 04 June 2018, 01:49 AM

My fiance and I moved into an apartment about a week ago. The kitchen is 95% in order. The living room is put together enough that I can sit at my desk and use my computer for the first time in over a week. Things are starting to really fall into place.
Old 04 June 2018, 03:10 PM

Glasses

I got my now-working truck back on Friday afternoon.

Seaboe
Old 04 June 2018, 05:26 PM

I recently planted some native plants to attract butterflies, and they've worked! I've seen three different species in my yard this morning. The Monarchs even laid eggs on my milkweed.
Old 05 June 2018, 04:14 PM

I can tie my shoes! I had gallbladder removal surgery last week and was told that I should be back up and running as normal, minus lifting anything heavy, in about a week. The first few days were absolutely awful, and I had no idea how I'd be doing anything other than reading in bed any time soon, but sure enough the last few days everything has been really been getting better. Small victories feel fantastic.
Old 05 June 2018, 05:34 PM

It's raining. We've been promised storms for most of the past week and gotten hardly a brief drizzle. But it's finally raining.

We're not in a drought or anything, I just like rain.
Old 05 June 2018, 05:43 PM

Impulse buy, Cattleya orchid. It was too pretty to pass up. I just wanna stare at it all day.

Old 05 June 2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallah View Post
I can tie my shoes! I had gallbladder removal surgery last week and was told that I should be back up and running as normal, minus lifting anything heavy, in about a week. The first few days were absolutely awful, and I had no idea how I'd be doing anything other than reading in bed any time soon, but sure enough the last few days everything has been really been getting better. Small victories feel fantastic.
My wife is in a similar situation - she injured her knee in a fall at the end of April, tearing the quad tendon in her left knee. A week later, she had surgery, and was pretty unhappy for a couple of days after. There were some ups and downs over the last few weeks, and I stayed home for two weeks being her go-fer and chauffeur, but as of today, she is officially capable of driving herself, has over 90 degrees of bend in the knee, and doesn't have to wear her leg brace to bed any more. She is VERY happy! And please accept my cheers to you for your recovery! Those victories and milestones are fantastic!
Old 06 June 2018, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
Impulse buy, Cattleya orchid. It was too pretty to pass up. I just wanna stare at it all day. [/IMG]
Looks yummy! (and probably very poisonous)

I bought a yellow hibiscus and a Persian Violet.

Nice colors to tide me over until the tomato plants start producing.
Old 06 June 2018, 03:56 PM

More nature-related happiness: this morning I noticed a mockingbird nest in a bush near my front door. There's two nestlings in it. I can see them through my window when they sit up to beg for food.
Old 06 June 2018, 05:34 PM

Ambulance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallah View Post
When I had mine removed (almost 10 years ago!) I had to take a week off from work and not drive. Even after the week ended, the doctor advised me to avoid heavy lifting for the rest of the summer.
Every time I see the small scars, I am amazed at modern medicine. My father had his gallbladder removed in 1980 and had a foot long scar down his torso. I had mine removed in 2008 and have four small scars, the longest of which is one inch.
Old 06 June 2018, 06:21 PM

Besides the tomato plants I actually planted in my garden, an additional tomato plant sprouted on its own this year. Last year if a tomato started rotting on the vine before I could pick it I would just pick it and toss it on the ground to decompose, so it must have grown from one of those seeds. So yay, extra tomatoes for free!
Old 07 June 2018, 05:54 AM

Today my new supervisor emailed me, our new boss, and another senior attorney to confirm that a particular case was still controlling and to confirm her understanding of it. The other senior attorney and our new boss both agreed on a straightforward interpretation that was not favorable to our clients. I noted a particular fact in the case that I thought might be a basis to distinguish it from most of the similar cases we deal with. Our new boss didn't agree that this fact was significant, but my new supervisor liked my take on it. She used to be our writ attorney, and she once took up a writ on a case I had tried and lost but really believed in, where some might not have bothered because it was a close call (and those appellate justices can be really mean if they feel you're wasting their time.) So I like her, and appreciate her creativity and chutzpah.

Anyway, I had some free time and decided to review the unpublished opinions citing that case. I found exactly what I was looking for--a case in which that fact was absent, where the court explicitly reached the opposite conclusion and distinguished the published case on the basis of that fact! It was even a case from our own second district--originally out of LA county--so it would've been controlling if only it were published. But anyway, the court of appeal read the published case the same way I did, so I'm feeling awfully smug.
Old 07 June 2018, 06:16 AM

Congratulations! A feat like that must be difficult to achieve with your anglo-american case law! Well done!

And a chance to impress a new supervisor and a new boss is nothing to sneer at, either.