snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 12 June 2018, 05:57 PM

Dear Bethesda:

Yes, I want the power armor edition of Fallout 76. Yes, I am willing to pay $200 for it. No, I am not willing to pay from $55 to $507 for shipping. (UPS ground is $124, not sure what method of shipping you get for $55, probably mule team.)
Old 13 June 2018, 01:12 PM

Icon84

Dear Mr. President:
Shut up! Please don't talk! Please don't tweet!

One of your subj---constituents.
Old 22 June 2018, 02:46 PM

Dear People on Unscripted Show
cc: Universe at large

You can't have a person say (speaking about a very large wineglass) "I have to use two hands to hold the shaft." and not have the other person reply, "That's what she said!"

You make Archer cry.
Old 25 June 2018, 05:26 PM

Icon02

Dear Local News Station: would you please just say no to the Kars for Kids ad? The money you get for running the ad is certainly not worth the amount of listeners that shut you off when they hear it. Psst! If listeners shut you off, they won't hear any of the ads you run! Something to think about.

PO'd listener.
Old 28 June 2018, 01:14 PM

Icon84

Dear Mr. Donnell Williams: You were known as "Bubbles" to the people you (allegedly) sold drugs to?! I'll try not to laugh.
https://wtop.com/local/2018/06/md-ma...ng-conspiracy/

Reader of the local station's website.

PS: Your son was known as: "Little Bubbles"?!

Well I guess your bubble has burst.
Old 08 July 2018, 04:05 PM

Dear Neighbors:
Please look at your calendar. If you don't have one, I'll lend you one. The date is July 8. The Fourth of July is OVER.

You no longer need to begin shooting off fireworks at nine p.m. and continue through FOUR FREAKING A.M., as you have done now every night since June 30! The Fourth is gone! It's in the rear-view mirror! Use the money you're spending on noisemakers for something constructive, like a children's charity.

I am sleep-deprived. My dog is edging into psychosis. This morning at two A.M. it started up again. I have just about had it. Oh, I know nobody pays attention to the nine P.M. anti-noise law, but we have it for a reason. One of my friends suffers from post-trauma anxiety. He has been sleeping IN HIS UNFINISHED BASEMENT for a week now.

Give it a rest. Really.
Brad (exhausted) from Georgia
Old 08 July 2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Dear Mr. Donnell Williams: You were known as "Bubbles" to the people you (allegedly) sold drugs to?! I'll try not to laugh.
I have no idea if this is where he got it from, but "Bubbles" was a character from The Wire.
Old 09 July 2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad from Georgia View Post
Dear Neighbors:
Please look at your calendar. If you don't have one, I'll lend you one. The date is July 8. The Fourth of July is OVER.
I've lived most of my adult life in Ontario but I don't think I will ever get used to people being able to buy and set off fireworks in their own yards. It just seems like something set up to be dangerous and anti-social. This year in my immediate neighbourhood it was fairly peaceful for a change. In a nearby community though teens got arrested because they were throwing firecrackers. I don't know if they were trying to hurt people or if they were just stupid. Likely both.
Old 09 July 2018, 12:35 PM

Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I've lived most of my adult life in Ontario but I don't think I will ever get used to people being able to buy and set off fireworks in their own yards. It just seems like something set up to be dangerous and anti-social. This year in my immediate neighbourhood it was fairly peaceful for a change. In a nearby community though teens got arrested because they were throwing firecrackers. I don't know if they were trying to hurt people or if they were just stupid. Likely both.
Since they were running through crowds while throwing them and then attacked the police officers who came to stop them, definitely both.
Old 09 July 2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I have no idea if this is where he got it from, but "Bubbles" was a character from The Wire.
Following the links from the Wikipedia article, I found this obituary from 1992 by David Simon in the Baltimore Sun, for a guy called "Possum" who was the real-life model for Bubbles:

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/199...ment-baltimore

Worth reading if you're a fan of The Wire. It's amazing how much of that programme is based on real events. Possum didn't get such a promising ending as Bubbles.
Old 09 August 2018, 11:55 AM

Dear neighborhood who opposes the county-installed rain gardens: I hope the recent rains have made you appreciate the rain gardens' usefulness. If those gardens had not been there, chances are that water would have just sat along the side of the road, attracting mosquitoes and starting to stink after a while.
Useful and pretty. I suggest you learn a little about storm water management systems; they're really quite interesting.

A passer through.
Old 10 August 2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Dear neighborhood who opposes the county-installed rain gardens:
What are their objections?

Quote:
If those gardens had not been there, chances are that water would have just sat along the side of the road, attracting mosquitoes and starting to stink after a while.
What's the bet they have completely forgotten about those problems. "I don't remember that ever happening" Will be my guess.
Old 12 August 2018, 09:05 AM

France

Dear supervisor,

You were supposed to hand over our autumn/winter vacations in july. It's now august. Some of us need to know when we are on vacation so as to arrange for all the things we have to do, such as train and/or plane tickets, hotels and/or other accomodations and activities once where we want to go. Case in point : I'm planning a trip to London to, among other things, see some West End shows. But if I don't know the dates of my vacations, I'll be unable to buy the tickets for those shows I intend to see (and one of them is a one-night only affair, and there's already no place left in the stalls or the dress circle), nor will I buy my Eurostar tickets, nor will I be able to pay for a cheap hotel room. So, in the immortal words of Ms. Eliza Doolittle : "MOVE YOUR BLOOMING ASS !!!"

Your respectful employee,

Gérard.
Old 13 August 2018, 03:26 PM

Glasses

Dasla: the residents in this particular neighborhood think that the gardens jut out into the roads (they really don't) and think that the gardens will affect their property values.
I've seen these gardens; they do not jut out into the road anymore than a parked car, and they are quite easy on the eyes. Furthermore the county maintains them, so you have a 'garden' without all the work. The gardens are only on roads that have a tendency to have standing water on them after a serious rainstorm.

ETA: here are some samples.

Last edited by DawnStorm; 13 August 2018 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 13 August 2018, 08:57 PM

In my mind those gardens would affect property values positively. I think they look good.
Old 13 August 2018, 09:41 PM

But a record of flash flooding affects property values in a much greater amount. And of course in the other direction.
Old 14 August 2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Dasla: the residents in this particular neighborhood think that the gardens jut out into the roads (they really don't) and think that the gardens will affect their property values.
I've seen these gardens; they do not jut out into the road anymore than a parked car, and they are quite easy on the eyes. Furthermore the county maintains them, so you have a 'garden' without all the work. The gardens are only on roads that have a tendency to have standing water on them after a serious rainstorm.

ETA: here are some samples.
Quote:
Originally Posted by me, no really View Post
In my mind those gardens would affect property values positively. I think they look good.
Okay we have similar things in Brisbane. At least we do in my suburb me, no really. They don't jut out into the road at all. They reduce the space on the footpath/sidewalk more. But it is only a problem when people insist on walking dead centre of the footpath and don't move over for people coming the opposite way, people walking two or more abreast and don't move over for people going the other way (walk single file for a few steps your fools) or it people coming the other way are too busy poking away at their phones and not watching where the are going. But this is a problem even if there are no rain gardens.

I think we got them because we were quite effected by the last Brisbane floods. I have heard no complaints.
Old 14 August 2018, 02:00 PM

To the person last night who claimed to be homeless:

I believe your story and I would have liked to have done more for you. I called the number you asked me to call three times.

I'm sorry you got a little annoyed with me because I insisted on doing the calling and wouldn't let you hold the cell phone. It's not my phone, you see, it's my employer's, and I couldn't take a chance on you walking off with it and getting me in trouble.

Good luck.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 15 August 2018, 01:14 PM

Icon06

Dear Mr. McNair: I hope your death was not in vain. People are talking about your death and the training regimen at Univ. of Maryland. I hope the attitudes that lead to your death will change, not just at Maryland U, but at all universities.

Someone saddened by your death.