snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 15 July 2017, 09:42 PM

Default A Wrinkle In Time Official US Teaser Trailer

Quote:
The film, which is an epic adventure based on Madeleine L’Engle’s timeless classic which takes audiences across dimensions of time and space, examining the nature of darkness versus light and ultimately, the triumph of love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4U3TeY2wtM
Old 15 July 2017, 10:02 PM

I may have to read that again. I don't remember it being as explicitly religious as the beginning of that trailer implies.

But then, a) it's been an awfully long time since I read it and I don't remember it at all well and b) the first time I read Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe I somehow managed to miss the religion in that as well.
Old 16 July 2017, 02:06 AM

I'm remembering the books from 5th grade, but IIRC they had a lot of metaphysics and spirituality themes.
Old 16 July 2017, 06:31 AM

I remember seeing that book but can't actually remember if I read it or not. But then again I read lot of books as a child (in certain periods one a day) so I really can't be expected to remember all of them.

As for the "Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" I got the religious themes in that but that may have been mainly because it was recommended and lent to me in an after school casual religious group I attended in primary school (grade 1 to 7)
Old 16 July 2017, 01:27 PM

Not only did I not get handed LWW in a religious context, I wasn't raised in the religion the symbolism's from (or, really, in any religion at all); though I was then as now living in a culture so background imbued with it that I'm sure I had picked some of it up anyway.
Old 16 July 2017, 02:05 PM

I think the religious aspect of Wrinkle is pretty subtle. Most of L'Engle's books, at least those for children anyway, have elements of Christianity in them but they also have a lot of science to them too. Some people can't understand how this can happen . I certainly never picked up on the Christianity when I first read her books as a young teenager but re-reading them later it was a lot more obvious or at least the philosophical overtones are more obvious. That said the books stand on their own in any case and are extremely well written. Wrinkle in Time is a masterpiece.
Old 16 July 2017, 03:09 PM

I wonder whether the movie has made it more explicit than it was in the book, or whether that's just the implication in that bit of trailer.
Old 16 July 2017, 04:24 PM

I read the book many times when I was a kid. I think it has a lot of spirituality in it that implies a Christian style interpretation of good and evil. I think some of her later books were much more transparent? Open? About the Christian themes.

It was one of the first "dark" books I'd ever read, and I loved it. I agree with Sue, a work of art. I should read it again before seeing the movie.

I like how they have made it more diverse. Hold your breath for the outrage to come.
Old 16 July 2017, 11:05 PM

I remember loving this book when I was a kid. A year or two ago I began to read it again. It didn't capture my imagination as much and it hung around the bedroom for a while before someone put it on a shelf. Maybe I will try again. (My memory of it certainly doesn't resemble any of that hollywood schmaltz but it never does.)
Old 17 July 2017, 06:17 AM

Throw Tomato

I'm really looking forward to this one. The director, Ava DuVernay, directed Selma, which was one of my favorite movies in 2014. And the screenwriter is Jennifer Lee, who worked on Zootopia, Frozen, and Wreck-It Ralph.

Brian
Old 22 July 2017, 05:18 PM

I just watched the trailer, I will be trying to find a copy since I have not read it since the late '80s.

Their choice of title song was rather a surprise to me as well.
Old 22 July 2017, 10:14 PM

I've had about enough of Chris Pine talking over my girl power stories this year.
Old 23 July 2017, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
I just watched the trailer, I will be trying to find a copy since I have not read it since the late '80s.
I had the impression everyone read this book as a child, but my husband, also America, similar age, did not.

I would expect both cases are valid, but I'm wondering if anybody else here didn't read the book?

And I like the song, but somehow I like Marilyn Manson's version best.
Old 23 July 2017, 06:08 AM

I read it a few months ago when I found a pristine set of all five in a Goodwill store for next to nothing.
Old 23 July 2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
I had the impression everyone read this book as a child, but my husband, also America, similar age, did not.

I would expect both cases are valid, but I'm wondering if anybody else here didn't read the book?
I didn't read it as a child; but read it sometime as an adult, but quite a while ago, on the recommendation of a friend. -- just looked up the publication date; I was 9 when it came out, so I theoretically could have come across it sooner. I was probably reading Nancy Drew at the time, and assorted horse and dog stories (it occurs to me that there was a dearth of cat stories, at least in my memory of what was available.)
Old 24 July 2017, 01:57 PM

Hmmm, I never thought of that, but it's true. I read all of the Black Stallion series (several times over) Black Beauty, all of The guy's books who wrote Call of the Wild for some reason I can't think of his name and I have to leave for work. At any rate, no cat stories...very unfortunate. My sister led me to several titles I probably would have passed over. Little Women, A Wrinkle in Time and several others. Gotta' go sorry about the wandering and punctuation.
Old 24 July 2017, 02:02 PM

When I was 9 I was deeply into Nancy Drew, Farley Mowat, Beverly Cleary and Enid Blyton. I don't remember reading any fantasy type stories or science fiction until I was a little older. I was pretty deeply rooted in reality (ok arguably Nancy Drew is fantasy now that I think about it ). Anyway if Wrinkle in Time crossed my path back then I wasn't aware of it. I wonder if it was offered through Scholastic back "in my day", that and the library were my main sources for reading material.
Old 24 July 2017, 02:36 PM

I tried to read it in about 2nd grade. The school would not let me check it out, because I wasn't old enough. I couldn't get it until 5th grade - my parents probably would have bought it for me, but I never checked with them. First book I checked out in 5th grade. Found it to be something that I could have easily tackled in 2nd grade, and have an irrational dislike for the book ever since.
Old 24 July 2017, 03:24 PM

I think it would be over the head of most 7 yr olds, I'd be surprised if you'd have liked it any better if you'd gotten it at the age you wanted it. But then I also think there is nothing about that book that should have meant a librarian or teacher wouldn't have allowed an advanced reader at 7 to check it out. If schools have rules about which books in their library are available to certain ages (and there are some books that this makes very good sense for) then I think they should also have rules that permit the child to check out books with parental permission.
Old 24 July 2017, 04:08 PM

I had read all of the LotR books before 7, and I read my dad's copy of Firestarter the year I turned seven. The teachers absolutely knew I was reading adult books.
And A Wrinkle in Time isn't that difficult of a book. If you can comprehend a tesseract, the book is pretty easy.