snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 17 February 2018, 12:10 AM

Two things:

1.) I have a pair of wristwatches that tick loudly. That wouldn't bother me much (one of them is a recent addition, and I was fine with just the one ticking away as I slept), but I cannot get them to sync up. If they ticked at the same time, or exactly opposite each other, it'd be okay, but they're off kilter and the non rhythmic ticking annoys me. I solve this by putting one or both in a dresser drawer before going to bed.

2.) I use the same password for my work email and a program I have to log into daily (I know, I know, but it isn't linked to my personal stuff and I don't have enough clearance for anyone who hacks in to do anything). Now, I have to change my password every 90 days, and I just add a number on the end and add 1 to it each time (I know, I know, I just don't really care if anyone reads the dumb emails my boss sends me). Happily, I used to get the warnings for both of these within a day of each other, so I only ever had to use separate passwords for a few days at most. However, I changed the program password last week, and have yet to get the warning to change my email password. I don't want to just change the password because sure enough that's when I'll get the email forcing me to change it again then they won't match.
Old 17 February 2018, 01:11 AM

Mouse

Iíve already mentioned in other threads that I have a weakness for True Crime. The show Deadly Women is like crack to me and I enjoy every sleazy, overwrought moment of it, but the narrator they have on it, Candice Delong, irritates me. I ran her name through Google and apparently, she has actually accomplished quite a bit and possesses more than a laymanís knowledge of the criminal mind. Yet for some reason, on Deadly Women, she seems to exist solely to state the incredibly obvious. Yes, Candice Delong, thank you for telling me that the Husband-killer profiled was filled with rage. Otherwise I might have assumed she stabbed him dozens of times with a pair of scissors, because she loved him so much.
Old 18 February 2018, 01:08 PM

TV shows that make it seem like working in the kitchen of a restaurant is a cool job. Sometimes it can be fun but mostly it's hard work and you get yelled at a lot! Aside from hateful Gordon Ramsey I don't think that message is getting out there because I know far too many young people who think that they are going to have fabulous careers in the food industry. Well, maybe. But more likely not.
Old 18 February 2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
TV shows that make it seem like working in the kitchen of a restaurant is a cool job.
I suspect that it's actually quite a hot job.

The people waiting on tables are already overheated, because the dining room's kept at a temperature comfortable for people sitting down and relaxing, not at one comfortable for people moving rapidly while carrying heavy loads; but the kitchen's likely to be worse.
Old 18 February 2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
The people waiting on tables are already overheated, because the dining room's kept at a temperature comfortable for people sitting down and relaxing
Interesting- I am usually cold in restaurants- this time of year I usually just keep my coat on, in warmer months I either try to sit outside or bring an extra layer. May depend on the fanciness level of the restaurant though.
Old 18 February 2018, 09:47 PM

My stepsister has been working in the restaurant business for years, so if she ever had idealistic ideas about it, she sure doesn't anymore. She's really passionate about food, though, so I guess all the stress is worth it to her.

LTTAM: My work uniform is getting a bit raggedy, so today I had to drive to a few different stores and spend money I don't really have on some new clothes. The extra annoying thing is that I don't really have anyone to blame. I understand why we have a uniform where I work, and I understand why my boss wants employees who look nice.

I'm still annoyed though, especially since the rules for our uniforms are so strict that I couldn't find the exact clothes I needed at any thrift stores and had to shell out extra money for brand new clothes.
Old 18 February 2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
Interesting- I am usually cold in restaurants- this time of year I usually just keep my coat on, in warmer months I either try to sit outside or bring an extra layer.
Right? I just assumed that most restaurants are really heavily air conditioned/slightly under heated because of the extra heat generated by cooking, hot food, and running around.
Old 19 February 2018, 12:18 AM

The design of the HVAC system for restaurants is very difficult because of the amount of exhaust in the kitchen. There are large exhaust hoods over each piece of cooking equipment. Frequently similar equipment such as fryers are grouped under the same hood while things like ovens or even dishwashers are under their own hoods. Thankfully I don't have to do that design.
Old 19 February 2018, 03:04 AM

I'd asked the post office to hold my mail while I was gone on vacation. I received a confirmation email from them before I left.

I came home to a stuffed mailbox and a water-damaged package at my front door. Fantastic.
Old 19 February 2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsterboy View Post
Right? I just assumed that most restaurants are really heavily air conditioned/slightly under heated because of the extra heat generated by cooking, hot food, and running around.
I think restaurants are cool because the staff (and more importantly the boss) is running around like crazy and get too hot if the room is set at a typical temperature.
Old 20 February 2018, 06:14 AM

Chicken

I actually got an explanation and a possible resolution last night for a LTTAM which has been bothering me for years! I've been taking part in the Moomba Birdman Rally almost every year since 2004 and I usually make large, unwieldy, stupid craft for my 'flying' attempts and almost without fail when I bring in my equipment in the early morning to set up they've usually assigned me a workspace which is ridiculously small and I have to make them rearrange the competitors compound so that I have enough room to assemble my craft.

We had a birdman rally safety briefing last night and I brought up this issue and it turns out that they've just been assuming that the 'comedy' entries will just be a silly costume so they only assign those competitors enough space that they can get changed in. They make us fill out a form every year where we have to list the dimensions of our craft and I've always been careful to fill out all that info very clearly (and I usually even do a photoshop mock up of what the craft will look like on the platform) so it looks like they've just been ignoring all that every year. On top of that they're perfectly aware that I've made fairly large craft in many of my previous entries but they apparently forget that as well when they're marking out the competitor spaces.

Hopefully now that it's been discussed the issue will be fixed. I guess we'll find out in 3 weeks.
Old 20 February 2018, 05:40 PM

Icon204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Yes, Candice Delong, thank you for telling me that the Husband-killer profiled was filled with rage.
Really?! You don't say!
I like many of the shows on ID as well--that particular show is not one I'm interested in, but yes, some of narrators need to tone down the dramatics a bit.
Old 20 February 2018, 05:58 PM

Baseball

I am currently travelling for work. My work laptop has a touchpad. It s next to (and dare I say touches) the space bar. So every fifth to ninth word the cursor goes flying off to wherever the mouse was last seen.

That is annoying but here is what gets me....

The network administrator has disabled the function in Windows to kill the touchpad. I mean, completely greyed it out.

Now, I can't confidently type anything at all.

Annoying!
Old 20 February 2018, 06:00 PM

Post-it note over the touchpad?
Old 20 February 2018, 06:05 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Post-it note over the touchpad?
I tried that. It is better but the pad is so sensitive that even through the paper it will still register the presence of my hand.

I contacted our network guy and he said "bring it on up and I'll disable it for you".

That'll be next Monday.
Old 20 February 2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Really?! You don't say!
I like many of the shows on ID as well--that particular show is not one I'm interested in, but yes, some of narrators need to tone down the dramatics a bit.
My wife and son and I like to watch The Curse of Oak Island on the History channel; our favorite running joke is the way the narrator starts off every new discovery. Hmm.. can't find a video to link to, so I'll try to write it. Let's say that a bone is found in one of the dig holes. The narrator would then pick up like so:

"A bone? From the dig hole? Could this mean that..."

Lather, rinse, repeat for any kind of physical discovery or information revelation (or new bit of speculation). It got weird, old and annoying pretty fast... and then becomes a catchphrase. Now we kind of look forward to it....
Old 20 February 2018, 07:06 PM

Glasses

I like the idea of the Curse of Oak Island much better than I like watching it. That said, there is no way the treasure (if, indeed, it exists) can be more valuable than the money that has been spent trying to find it over the past however many years.

A similar thing that annoys me--I really like Destination Unknown, but I hate the way they imply the show is actually going to solve the mystery they're investigating. For a lot of them, if the mystery were solved, it would be such big news most people would hear about it.

Seaboe
Old 20 February 2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsterboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
I think restaurants are cool because the staff (and more importantly the boss) is running around like crazy and get too hot if the room is set at a typical temperature.
When I briefly worked as a waitress many years ago, I was too hot whenever we were busy, but IIRC was told the place couldn't be any cooler because the customers would be unhappy.

It's true that this wouldn't automatically generalize to restaurants in general; but I haven't found them usually too cool for me to sit still in while wearing indoor clothes; which means that personally, if I were actively working in them, I'd definitely be too hot. My mother generally needed a sweater in restaurants; but my mother generally needed either a sweater or a sunshade anyway. She was only really comfortable within an extremely narrow temperature range.
Old 20 February 2018, 07:29 PM

Agreed on The Curse of Oak Island. They go off on so many wild bents saying the treasure could be from any of a dozen improbable places. Any little thing makes them go crazy like they've found the holy grail. Plus, if they actually found something, they aren't going to keep it quiet until the episode airs.
Old 20 February 2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
A similar thing that annoys me--I really like Destination Unknown, but I hate the way they imply the show is actually going to solve the mystery they're investigating. For a lot of them, if the mystery were solved, it would be such big news most people would hear about it.

Seaboe
And a lot of the things aren't actual mysteries.
Closed Thread