snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 29 July 2009, 05:03 PM

Icon81 Human Parts Processing Factory (gruesome)

Comments: Human parts processing factory (like sardines)

A factory in Russia harvesting kidneys, eye corneas and other human body parts for sale. Bodies are collected from drunk drivers who died in car accidents, people staying alone who had frozen to death in the cold winter, criminals on death row or unexplained death and unclaimed bodies. Some body parts and bones are sold to Universities in various parts of the world. Leg bones are exported to pharmacies in Ireland and Germany to make tooth-fillings which is popular in Europe.

Other than Russia, India is also known to harvest human parts for export.

PASS THIS ON TO AS MANY AS POSSIBLE, ESPECIALLY TO ALL FRIENDS OVERSEAS TOO!

What a shocking trend!!

Friends be very very careful, when you go out in public & also do not hang around with people you have just met. Avoid going about alone at night. This can happen to both females & males too. Also thought is being given to the child who passed away at the Kuliyapitiya hospital recently whose body was found minus some organs at the mortury! Stay close to your little ones, kids as they are easiest to be grabbed into a vehile & taken away. There was a mention of a human body parts factory in India too. They may well have associates over here too.

Old 29 July 2009, 05:21 PM

I'd hasten a guess that was a morgue facility of some sort.

But hey, it's an idea for economic stimulus. Since so many are having problems paying funeral expenses, why not sell the dear departed's body to "science" or whatever. That way, the recently deceased could contribute to "science" and commerce by giving workers something to process, and giving businesses something to sell. And also to be used in fillings for people in Iceland and Germany.

Step 4, obviously, is profit!

(Seriously, though, bones would not be used for fillings. Bones are relatively soft and very porus compared to tooth enamel, and it would be less than useful for filling cavities.)
Old 29 July 2009, 05:35 PM
ALG

So, if these bodies are drunk drivers, victims of freezing and death-row criminals - why the warning about not standing alone and watching your kids? If you don't keep an eye on your kids they may wander to Russia and freeze to death? And that isn't even the bad part apparently, the bad part is that they may then be stacked in an unattractive manner before disposal.

OK, make sure kids have on warm clothes before allowing them to wander to Russia - check!
Old 29 July 2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglRdr View Post
(Seriously, though, bones would not be used for fillings. Bones are relatively soft and very porus compared to tooth enamel, and it would be less than useful for filling cavities.)
Not for cavities, but the OP may have been confused about a related thing. There is a bone-grafting material called "bone matrix" that is made from cadaver bones, and which is used in dental applications.

It is used to help the jaw bone fill in around the anchor post of dental implants, and, in my case, was used to help fill a void created when a large cyst was removed from my jaw.

Not sure what the connection is to Ireland and Germany, though....

ETA: My first reaction to the pictures is that they look like the beginning of a very scary zombie movie. Very scary.

erwins
Old 29 July 2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
Many high-quality dental instruments are German-made, so maybe that's where it comes from?
Old 29 July 2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
Couldn't say about Ireland. I think there's an obvious reason they used Germany, but Godwin forbids I should elaborate.
Old 30 July 2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
Comments: Human parts processing factory (like sardines)

A factory in Russia harvesting kidneys, eye corneas and other human body parts for sale. Bodies are collected from drunk drivers who died in car accidents, people staying alone who had frozen to death in the cold winter, criminals on death row or unexplained death and unclaimed bodies.
(bolding mine)

Eeeehhh... I don't know much about organ harvesting, but aren't the organs supposed to be 'fresh' - as in recent blodflow? As i understand it decomp and cell-death starts immediately after death. That's why people who are braindead are kept artificially alive until the organs can be removed and then the organs are rushed to the recipient. If the people in the pictures are indeed people who has frozen to death or unexplained deaths and unclaimed bodies wouldn't decomp has set in and the organs be useless?

Omme'Scull and bones'Lise
Old 30 July 2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmmeLise View Post
Eeeehhh... I don't know much about organ harvesting, but aren't the organs supposed to be 'fresh' - as in recent blodflow? As i understand it decomp and cell-death starts immediately after death. That's why people who are braindead are kept artificially alive until the organs can be removed and then the organs are rushed to the recipient. If the people in the pictures are indeed people who has frozen to death or unexplained deaths and unclaimed bodies wouldn't decomp has set in and the organs be useless?
I got the impression that they were sold as specimens to schools and universities, not as transplants. The environment hardly looks like a suitable environment to harvest transplant.
Old 31 July 2009, 09:33 PM

It definitely looks like it is set in Russia, but from the overall postures I would say these are either frames from a movie or an art project of some sort. I will try to look at a couple of candidates.
Old 31 July 2009, 09:46 PM

Here's a more complete set:

http://shocked.od.ua/foto-iz-morga-b...imki/#comments
http://www.odinews.ru/weblogs/GOSHKO/95.php

According to the sources, this is the actual photo set from a Soviet morge ca 1989. No organs involved, although, since it is a prison morgue, they are quite likely to have been collected to be made into study materials.
Old 01 August 2009, 01:53 AM

Icon102

In the first picture, on the foot hanging down lower than the others, what is it with that shin? It looks like a 'shopping error. It bugs me, whatever it is.
Old 01 August 2009, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latiam View Post
In the first picture, on the foot hanging down lower than the others, what is it with that shin? It looks like a 'shopping error. It bugs me, whatever it is.
If you look closer I think you'll see that it's a tag wrapped around the ankle (I'm guessing serving the fuction of a toe-tag). You can see them on several other legs, too.

--Logoboros
Old 01 August 2009, 04:04 AM

Icon402

I don't have a cite at the moment, but I recently heard about the situation described in the OP on NPR. In the report, they focused on the skeleton trade based in India (at least the skeletons are processed there; most are sold to universities & soforth in Europe/USA, apparently). Although they only gave description (no pictures), the impression I got was very similar to that pictured above...

Supposedly, it's so rampant (and profitable) that burial grounds have been completely emptied in areas that don't rely on cremation. Worse yet, several "processing facilities" relocated to the outskirts of the slums, leading to a couple high-profile cases of murder for skeleton-theft. Hard to believe, although it was a very in depth & detailed report...

I'll see what I can dig up. (Okay, pun somewhat intended.)
Old 01 August 2009, 04:09 AM

Skull

Well, a very quick search turned up this. It's not the report I was referring to, and it doesn't confirm/debunk the OP, but it does show that it's not implausible.

Inside India's Underground Trade in Human Remains
Old 01 August 2009, 01:38 PM

You can't harvest organs for transplant from people who are already dead like that anyway - the conditions need to be pretty well controlled, and the "body" is usually kept "alive" (but braindead) on a ventilator before the operation to remove organs. At least according to Mary Roach in Stiff. Anything removed in those conditions would be unusable.
Old 01 August 2009, 02:26 PM

Sebbenth--you might want to tag that first link NSFW. *I* don't care, but the flashing boobies and very prominent rear ends of naked pretty ladies just don't bode well for those who may visit this site at work.
Old 02 August 2009, 12:25 PM
Pseudo_Croat

Even if it was real, I don't see what's so bad about it. No dead creature (human or otherwise) should go to waste.

Nature doesn't waste anything; why should we?
Old 03 August 2009, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricBarbarella View Post
Sebbenth--you might want to tag that first link NSFW. *I* don't care, but the flashing boobies and very prominent rear ends of naked pretty ladies just don't bode well for those who may visit this site at work.
These are random banners and there were no boobies the time I have seen those links.

BTW, you mean your office is OK with a bunch of corpses, but not boobies?