snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Moot Court

Old 12 November 2014, 04:53 PM

Default Accused 'selfie stalker' sues TV host Nancy Grace

Quote:
A Boulder, Colo., man says crime-show host Nancy Grace defamed him on national television when she showed a picture of his face and compared his actions to a "serial killer."
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...race/18837501/
Old 12 November 2014, 05:29 PM

IANAL and don't know whether he has a case, but I hope he does and I hope he wins or at least causes Nancy Grace significant inconvenience. She deserves much worse, IMO.
Old 12 November 2014, 05:41 PM

I'm sure my own experience with technology is a factor, but if I woke up to find a strange person's picture on my phone I don't think I'd leap to the conclusion that someone had physically broken into my home, taken a selfie, and then left without leaving any other trace. Was that really the most probable explanation she and the police could come up with? Did they at least investigate the home for signs of entry?

It just seems bizarre to me that sane people could reach that conclusion in the absence of any other supporting evidence.
Old 12 November 2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom o' Bedlam View Post
It just seems bizarre to me that sane people could reach that conclusion in the absence of any other supporting evidence.
This is Nancy Grace we're talking about. Once she's made up her mind that someone is guilty, they are. There is no other interpretation that makes sense but hers. She is all-knowing when it comes to guilt.

And heaven forbid if you're invited onto her show for an interview and disagree in any way with her assessment of the 'facts.' That's almost worse than being guilty of murder and, of course, in her eyes accused = guilty.
Old 12 November 2014, 05:55 PM

I understand Nancy Grace behaving as she did. I don't get why the police came to that conclusion, even temporarily, but then I don't have all the facts (which of course didn't stop NG).
Old 12 November 2014, 06:09 PM

Flame

...I hate Nancy Grace so much I was actually cynically pleased that Casey Anthony walked just because I knew it'd make her furious.

...well, that and the case was thinner than a sheet of notebook paper, but her "The devil is dancin' tonight!" reaction was something of beauty.
Old 12 November 2014, 06:13 PM

This part:

Quote:
As it turns out, the picture came from his Facebook page and was added to the woman's phone by unknown means.
Makes me wonder where "on her phone" it was. IME, picture taken with your camera are not, at least by default, stored in the same place as other pictures. At least, when I go through my camera to look at pics, the only ones I see are the ones I took with the phone's camera.
Old 12 November 2014, 06:36 PM

I wondered about that too, though technology can do weird things sometimes.

Once when I was working my company's internal helpdesk, I had an employee call in because the picture associated with his company e-mail account, a standard corporate headshot, had inexplicably changed to that of a grungy-looking guy with a guitar. After a lot of investigation (and I forget the exact sequence of findings that got me to this), it turned out that this was the Facebook profile pic of someone living in Australia who happened to have the same name as the employee. We never did figure out exactly how that happened.

Anyway, I'm not sure what my point was except that... technology is weird. Especially when it has the ability to reach out across the internet and interact with other technology in unforeseen ways.
Old 13 November 2014, 01:39 PM

Cell Phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
This part:

Makes me wonder where "on her phone" it was. IME, picture taken with your camera are not, at least by default, stored in the same place as other pictures. At least, when I go through my camera to look at pics, the only ones I see are the ones I took with the phone's camera.
Depends on the phone, then. On my iPhone, photos I've taken and pictures I've saved from the Internet all come up under 'Camera Roll'.
Old 14 November 2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Depends on the phone, then. On my iPhone, photos I've taken and pictures I've saved from the Internet all come up under 'Camera Roll'.
Ditto!

Also, screen shots get saved in Camera Roll as well and it's ridiculously easy to take screenshots unwillingly if your grab your phone the wrong way (depending on what type of 'case' you have on it).
Old 14 November 2014, 03:37 PM

Baseball

In my settings for one of my devices (a tablet), I have a setting that any photos in the cloud for my device would automatically be loaded to my device upon synchronisation. This is great when I have mobile presentations, demonstrations etc. I can just upload the picture to the cloud (in the correct spot, obviously) and when my tablet synchs, I know I have it onboard.

I wonder, given the recent photo stealing from the cloud that many celebrities suffered, if she was a similar victim. Grab a publicly available photo of some innocent person (facebook profile photos are mostly available to the public, for example) and insert it into the photos file of a victim whose cloud you hacked.

This may be common knowledge, but when it comes to synchronising and other technical information and abilities, I'm essentially a rookie.