snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Moot Court

Old 02 April 2013, 01:35 AM

Icon220 Arianna Huffington trashed rented Chelsea loft, claims lawsuit

Internet news queen Arianna Huffington partied so hard in her rented Chelsea loft she left it looking like a frat house, claims a lawsuit filed Monday by the furious landlord.

Filmmaker Eric Steel claims Huffington - president and top editor of the Huffington Post Media Group - promised she'd be the sole occupant of the sprawling, white-walled loft, custom designed by his famous architect father. But instead, she used the posh pad for frequent parties and allowed her daughters to crash there with friends - leaving gouged wood floors, candle stains the steel window seats, and even a bloodied mattress.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1305037
Old 02 April 2013, 01:16 PM

I'm glad to hear that she is being sued for something, pity it's not for starting the Huffington Post for the purpose of promoting quackery.
Old 02 April 2013, 01:34 PM

This is a total nitpick, but "even a bloodied mattress" strikes me as odd wording. I'd find the gouged floors more unexpected and more serious than blood on a mattress (especially when it's mentioned that young women "crashed" there), unless we're talking about a LOT of blood, in which case I'd have concerns beyond the damage to the apartment.
Old 02 April 2013, 05:14 PM

If it's not a lot of blood it puts the other claims in possible perspective. I've gouged my own floors a few times, and while I do not have metal window seats, and if even if mine were not wood, I wouldn't put candles on them(blinds/curtains), I have gotten candle drippings in the places I used candles. Usually people clean this up when it happens, but it's possible she didn't notice if it were only a few spots. Sometimes depending on the color of the wax and the surface color, it can be hard to see.