snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 24 May 2011, 04:20 PM

Why do you assume Ana is talking only about this thread? Have you seen this sort of emotion directed toward the targets she mentions in any other thread on this board? I don't think I've seen it any context.
Old 24 May 2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana Ng View Post
But the level of scorn and talk of "entitlement" seems to be reserved en masse for those on food stamps. And to the other points, no legislators have even proposed, much less enacted, such intrusive impositions on the wealthy receiving welfare. Just the poor.
IMO, much of this is because, no matter how crooked or devious the means, they got the bonus because they have a job. There is a very strong meme that anyone with a job is superior to anyone without a job.

This might be hold over from the Puritan work ethic or it might be due to the strong anti-communist stance of the '50's. It could also be that the upper class figured out that class warfare works better for them if they can get the middle class to see the lower class as the enemy rather than the upper class.
Old 24 May 2011, 10:02 PM

The thought of handing out food through cafeterias is nauseating. You're taking away these people's choice on their own food, and when and where they're going to eat it. If you can only get food from these places at certain times, what do you do if you need to be at work before breakfast starts? Or you have an appointment during lunch? You have to go hungry? Also, you're suggesting that there would be tons of options, like kosher and vegetarian. How are you going to plan this food out? Are you going to run it like a restaurant? What do you do if you run out of something? And what about any left overs? Where does that go?

Sorry, no, I'm not seeing it. Not to mention the cost would probably be more than giving someone food stamps.

I agree with HelloLlama's post. I am so sick and tired of people implying that poor people don't deserve anything nice. You can get a pretty nice, prepaid cell phone for not a lot of money these days, and, like HL said, you can get nice clothes at thrift shops. Just because someone doesn't make a lot of money doesn't mean they don't deserve something pretty. When I worked at the dairy farm I made minimum wage and barely made ends meet month to month. Being able to look nice on my days off was important to me. I'm glad I didn't loose my food stamp benefits just because I looked good once a week.
Old 25 May 2011, 12:25 AM

Soapbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloLlama View Post
So people who are poor and need food stamps aren't allowed to look and dress nicely or own a phone?

You can get designer closes cheap at thrift stores, or maybe somebody gave them the clothes as a gift, or they got the clothes before they were down on hard times. These people might be capable of doing their own hair and nails in a professional manner or have a family member or friend doing it for them for free.

And a phone is pretty much a necessity, and it's often cheaper and more convenient to just have a cell phone rather than a land line.

It's pretty presumptuous to assume that these people don't deserve the benefits or don't have their priorities straight based on outward appearances.
This is what Im basing my opinion on instances Ive noticed in work. I work for a living and when we where having money problems b/c my husbands entire dept was shut down,I was turned down saying we had to much income even though we were paying out more than what was coming in. When my cell contract came up for renewal new,I took the Reclaim b/c it was free. Not the $300 Android(at the time). I know that 4 of us need to eat so I make a large pot of pasta,not jumbo shrimp that cost $16/bag. I shampoo,blowout,and flat iron my own hair. I dont go to a shop. When I get my nails done I get a basic fill in and polish which cost $15. I dont add airbrushing and rhinestones that can add up to $5 per nail. If I can tighten my belt and exist why should I be happy about my portion of tax dollars going to someone who splurges?

Perhaps there should be more perimeters on what they can and cannot buy. Maybe the govt should force Link recipients to complete budgeting and nutrition classes before you get your benefits,similar to WIC. Maybe the people who buy foodstamps should have harsher sentences on them.
Old 25 May 2011, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy_pooh_1997 View Post
Perhaps there should be more perimeters on what they can and cannot buy. Maybe the govt should force Link recipients to complete budgeting and nutrition classes before you get your benefits,similar to WIC. Maybe the people who buy foodstamps should have harsher sentences on them.
You do realize that all this would cost way more than the few who take advantage of the system are costing us.

And, besides, you go to a nail shop period? You don't need to do that. You blowdry and flat iron your hair, waisting valuable electicity? You don't need to do that. I'm sure I could go through your life and find things that you splurge on. Perhaps some people splurge on different things. Why should your splurges be any more valuable than their splurges.

And how do you KNOW they get their nails and hair done at a shop? How do you know they don't have friends that do it for free or in exchange for chores?
Old 25 May 2011, 12:33 AM

I am allowed to splurge b/c I work and pay for it. If I pay the cost and I deem it needed then it is. Oh and Ive seen customers that I wait on sitting next to me in the nail shop in our same strip mall and Ive seen them in Kings beauty supply buying hair and other products. Ive even complemented some of them and asked them who did it and theyve pulled out cards or gave me the name of the shop in many occasions. Also Liquor is a luxury that I do not use and Ive seen several people use the cash to buy $35 bottles of Crown Royal that are behind my register. What legitimate excuse would that be?
Old 25 May 2011, 12:35 AM

And all food stamp recipients are on unemployment?

None of them work?
Old 25 May 2011, 12:37 AM

Quote:
I am allowed to splurge b/c I work and pay for it. If I pay the cost and I deem it needed then it is.
So your plan is to treat adults as if they were small children?

And not even really small children, because even small children are allowed by their caretakers to make some choices.

And don't get me started on the impossible administration of such a program.
Old 25 May 2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglRdr View Post
So your plan is to treat adults as if they were small children?

And not even really small children, because even small children are allowed by their caretakers to make some choices.

And don't get me started on the impossible administration of such a program.
If you are happy to punch a clock everyday in order to help support adults who can usually sustain themselves if they budgeted better,then thats your opinion. The things I see everyday do not afford me that luxury and I dont agree with what I see.
Old 25 May 2011, 12:41 AM

That is probably the least informed statement I've ever seen on this board.
Old 25 May 2011, 12:42 AM

I'm happy to help support those in need, despite the few who are, perhaps, gaming the system or getting themselves a few nice things every once in a while.
Old 25 May 2011, 12:43 AM

Quote:
That is probably the least informed statement I've ever seen on this board.
and again you are entitled to your opinion
Old 25 May 2011, 12:47 AM

You're a cashier, so you know precisely nothing about any detail of these people's lives, except the three-five minutes you spend judging them while they're on your check out line.
Old 25 May 2011, 12:48 AM

Quote:
...when we where having money problems b/c my husbands entire dept was shut down,I was turned down saying we had to much income even though we were paying out more than what was coming in. When my cell contract came up for renewal new,I took the Reclaim b/c it was free. Not the $300 Android(at the time). I know that 4 of us need to eat so I make a large pot of pasta,not jumbo shrimp that cost $16/bag. I shampoo,blowout,and flat iron my own hair. I dont go to a shop. When I get my nails done I get a basic fill in and polish which cost $15. I dont add airbrushing and rhinestones that can add up to $5 per nail. If I can tighten my belt and exist why should I be happy about my portion of tax dollars going to someone who splurges?
Would you still have gone to get your nails done if you had been approved for aid?
Old 25 May 2011, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Alia View Post
Would you still have gone to get your nails done if you had been approved for aid?
Um no. When lived with one income I did my own nails b/c it was a luxury,not a need. I felt as though I was punished b/c I scrambled to work more hours to offset my husbands job,therefore putting me over the cutoff. I was more concerned about thing like bills,gas,and food than beauty products.
Old 25 May 2011, 12:54 AM

Do you have any indication that the food stamp recipients you encounter aren't paying their bills?
Old 25 May 2011, 12:57 AM

Quote:
You're a cashier, so you know precisely nothing about any detail of these people's lives, except the three-five minutes you spend judging them while they're on your check out line.
You may want to go back and actually read what I wrote and not just the parts you like. I sat and had a 45 minute conversation with a customer in Samy's nails b/c I recognized her and she waved hello. She does not work and she gets $800/month in foodstamps and is also on Section 8 housing. She said she did fast food work and they cut all of her services ,so she said it was no point in her working. She was working poor so she purposely got fired. She seems to be a perfectly pleasant woman to chat with,but she's working the system and I assume she doesnt care who knows it. So I didnt have to judge or assume when she volunteered the info.
Old 25 May 2011, 12:58 AM

No wonder other snopesters who have been on food stamps feel so embarrassed about having to use them if they are encountering such condescending and judgmental employees as you at the store.

You know nothing about these people other than they qualify for assistance.
Old 25 May 2011, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Do you have any indication that the food stamp recipients you encounter aren't paying their bills?
I have a coworker who constantly complains about her daughter. She's 21 and has had her 3rd baby in 3 years. She doesnt work unless she wants to. Public Aid will give her cash and foodstamps until her baby turns 1 so she keeps having them. On a side note she has also gotten violent with her mother whenever she gets into her moods. The only reason my coworker says she continues to let her live in her home is b/c of the extra income public aid provides. And no I didnt meet this women in passing Ive worked with her for 3 years.
Old 25 May 2011, 01:02 AM

Quote:
If you are happy to punch a clock everyday in order to help support adults who can usually sustain themselves if they budgeted better,then thats your opinion. The things I see everyday do not afford me that luxury and I dont agree with what I see.
Ignorant much? When I was on food stamps I also worked, full time, at minimum wage. I made, after taxes, $800 a month. After all of my bills and my child support payments I barely had enough money to put gas in my car, and buy necessities like toilet paper and toothpaste, let alone to pay for food for myself and my son. I couldn't claim my son for my food stamps because I wasn't his legal guardian, so in order to feed him I had to use what little I had. I don't remember how much the food stamps were per month, but it wasn't a lot.

I budgeted to the damn penny and I worked my ass off. The fact that you seem to think that everyone on food stamps who ever treats themselves to anything nice, whether it be nails or a cell phone or new clothes, makes me sick. You want to punish people for being poor, for needing help, just because a very few people abuse the system.

And to get back to the OP as an example, a "poor" person has every damn right to have lobster and steak once in a while, just like someone not on food stamps. If they want to buy those and then budget out the rest of the month with ramen and toast, that's their business. No one has the right to tell someone else how to use their benefits. The second we start telling people what they can and can't buy, we're getting into a slippery slope that we really shouldn't be going down. Because, quite frankly, when I was buying the food I bought 98% good stuff, and 2% "bad" stuff like ice cream or soda for me and my son. You know why? Because we deserve treats too, just like regular people. The little things make life bearable, especially when you're living a depressing life like I was. Sometimes ice cream can be a God send.

ETA: And you've shown 2 "examples" of people working the system. You realize that they are in the extreme minority, right? We're talking probably less than .10% of all cases. Yes, it happens, but that doesn't mean everyone needs to be punished. And you mentioned that you did your own nails while you were having money troubles, right? Can you prove to me that all the other people you judge don't do the same? Again, there are a couple that may have their nails done professionally, but the majority don't. And again, you have no knowledge how people budget their money. Heck, how do you know the woman you're judging doesn't work extra hours and budget just right to get that treat for herself. It's her right. Remind me to never come to your checkout line.

Last edited by LizzyBean; 25 May 2011 at 01:10 AM.