snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 07 June 2011, 04:50 AM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglRdr View Post
Uhm. No. Retailers do not keep track of who purchases lottery tickets. ...
They don't, but the lottery commission can often tell which store sold which tickets. So they at least know where the winning tickets were purchased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderwoman View Post
Wait, what? I thought I read the whole thread. How did they break the law?
See post #239.
Old 07 June 2011, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderwoman View Post
Wait, what? I thought I read the whole thread. How did they break the law?
The person who bought the food was illegally re-selling it.

-MB
Old 07 June 2011, 05:05 AM

Ok, thanks. Sorry for missing that post!
Old 07 June 2011, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Blue View Post
The person who bought the food was illegally re-selling it.

-MB
That is possible; there is a black market in trading food stamps for cash, usually at a loss (e.g. $100 worth of groceries bought for a 3rd party in exchange for $70 cash); I know people who have been involved with it. Illegal, yes; immoral, that's a trickier question. If somebody can't put gas in their car or pay the power bill when payday is a week away than trading $100 in food stamps and living off ramen noodles and rice for the next week in exchange for having actual cash that the gas station or the power company will take might be worth it.
Old 07 June 2011, 02:01 PM

Well he's been arrested and charged so I suppose its still 'possible' in the sense he hasn't been convicted and all.

As for the immoral part sure you are right depending on his motivation it may or may not be an immoral breach of the law but then I didn't speak to the morality of it.

-MB
Old 08 June 2011, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
They don't, but the lottery commission can often tell which store sold which tickets. So they at least know where the winning tickets were purchased.
This is what I meant. If there is ever a dispute over the ownership of a winning ticket, or the legal procurement of it, sometimes just proving that you made a purchase at the right time at the right place will clear you. I don't buy lottery tickets, but I'm assuming that if you buy gas and a drink, plus a lottery ticket, you can put it all on your debit card; there's not some rule about paying for lottery tickets in cash, is there?
Old 08 June 2011, 03:40 AM

You have to pay cash for lottery tickets, and they don't give receipts, generally speaking--the ticket is the receipt.

And, as I linked to earlier, a lottery ticket is a bearer instrument. S/He who has it owns it. Possession, in this case, is 10/10ths of the law.
Old 08 June 2011, 03:48 AM

It probably varies from state to state, but I've never seen any pay for lotto tickets with anything other than cash. You don't get a receipt.

ETA: I know you can't buy them with a check, food stamp card, or gift card.

Last edited by Cervus; 08 June 2011 at 03:55 AM.
Old 08 June 2011, 03:49 AM

In my state you can pay for them with debit or check as well if the retailer accepts those types of payments.
Old 08 June 2011, 03:51 AM

I wonder how many people bounce checks to buy lottery tickets.
Old 08 June 2011, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz1980 View Post
That is possible; there is a black market in trading food stamps for cash, usually at a loss (e.g. $100 worth of groceries bought for a 3rd party in exchange for $70 cash); I know people who have been involved with it. Illegal, yes; immoral, that's a trickier question.
Yeah. It's an entirely different thing, when it's being done by someone who genuinely qualifies for assistance, and is in a bind, vs. someone who makes false claims in order to qualify in the first place.

I'm thinking back to a couple of times when I did things like go shopping with someone who had an EBT card, and we were buying stuff for a pitch-in, or to make something together, and I bought all the non-qualifying stuff, while the other person bought all the stuff you could put on the card. I wouldn't call that fraud, since we were sharing in the end, even though if I were shopping with someone who didn't have assistance, we would divide the purchases up differently.

If a stranger approached me in a store, and said "Hey, I'll buy your stuff with my EBT card for 2/3 of the cost," I'd say no. Even if the person had a sob story about needing gas to get to work, or pay the electric bill, I'd still say no.

If it were a family member or friend, I'd just lend them the money, I suppose, but if I were pretty strapped myself, and really didn't have the cash to spare, because it was my grocery money, and I didn't have anything else, I suppose I might do something like that. I'd probably just send them to the store with a list, and then buy the stuff outright for the exact price, though.

This makes me think of something: a lot of benefits can be cut if you have any savings, and also, don't rollover to the next month. Since the benefits are meant to keep you a little above grinding poverty, someone on food stamps actually can probably handle a minor thing happen each month, like a minor car repair, or making the co-pay for a doctor's visit for a child on state health care. But if they happen to have one straight month where nothing untoward happens, they might come to the end of the month with money left on the card, when they usually don't. Since benefits don't rollover, they buy steak, and the stuff to make a cake, and maybe something else nice, that they don't usually have. Who wouldn't do that?
Old 08 June 2011, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
This makes me think of something: a lot of benefits can be cut if you have any savings
Is this true? Didn't we just have a story about the guy who won the lottery but still got food stamps because it was based on income not what you had in the bank?

-MB
Old 08 June 2011, 05:13 AM

In Illinois its if your saving are over $2000,it can affect getting approved.
Old 08 June 2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Blue View Post
Is this true? Didn't we just have a story about the guy who won the lottery but still got food stamps because it was based on income not what you had in the bank?

-MB
Here's the thread:

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=73315

I recall posting that I didn't think it's quite right for someone in that situation to get food stamps.

Apparently the "asset test" depends on the state.

In Massachusetts, there is no longer an asset test, except for households with a member over 60 or disabled which households do not meet the income test.

http://www.gettingsnap.org/whouses.htm

Thanks.

Bill
Old 08 June 2011, 02:38 PM

In some cases, I'm sure all those asset tests do is force the person seeking food aid to spend their savings before getting it. I'm not sure that's always the smartest thing to do. What if they later have an emergency that food stamps and other aid won't cover? Auto repairs, for example, which could affect their ability to land or hold down a job.
Old 08 June 2011, 04:30 PM

Marinette Co. sheriff deputies shoot and
kill man

When I went to post 240 to link to the story about the re-selling of the food items, that was the headline that popped up. Unrelated to the story but still eye catching. They take things seriously in Michigan.
Old 08 June 2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Here's the thread:

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=73315

I recall posting that I didn't think it's quite right for someone in that situation to get food stamps.

Apparently the "asset test" depends on the state.

In Massachusetts, there is no longer an asset test, except for households with a member over 60 or disabled which households do not meet the income test.

http://www.gettingsnap.org/whouses.htm

Thanks.

Bill
Err.. Not sure if the 'thanks' is sarcasm (darn internets..) but I wasn't implying anything, just curious as I remember reading in that other article that they are determined by income vs. assets.. I guess it varies state by state.

-MB
Old 08 June 2011, 06:04 PM

Bill signs all his posts "Thanks. Bill" for whatever it's worth.
Old 08 June 2011, 06:04 PM

Bill ends all his posts with "thanks."
Old 08 June 2011, 06:05 PM

Ahh, sorry about that then, like I said its the flaw of the net

Apologies,

-MB