snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 26 October 2014, 09:53 PM

Cheer Rebels: A New Hope for Star Wars

The franchise's first work to emerge after Lucasfilm's sale to Disney suggests that losing George Lucas was just what the galaxy far, far away needed.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...nchise/381897/
Old 26 October 2014, 10:28 PM

Doesn't surprise me. Star Trek as a franchise improved substantially once Roddenberry was no longer in direct control of it.
Old 27 October 2014, 12:53 AM

Disney

The only thing they could do to make it worse is to make musicals. Even in that case, the music would probably be pretty good.
Old 27 October 2014, 01:46 AM

I agree! The Cantina Band Theme is a classic!

I've seen an episode or two of Rebels, and it's not bad. It's similar in style and seriousness to the CGI Clone Wars series from a few years ago.

I really like that the 'big guy' on the team, Zeb, is based very strongly on Ralph McQuarrie's original concept art for Chewbacca.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Garazeb_Orrelios
Old 27 October 2014, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
The only thing they could do to make it worse is to make musicals. Even in that case, the music would probably be pretty good.
There's been a whole bunch of Star Wars musicals already such as The Star Wars episode of the Muppet Show and The Star Wars episode of the Donny and Marie Osmond Show and the Star Wars Christmas Special (which I'm not going to post a link for because it's awful).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGeekyGirl View Post
I really like that the 'big guy' on the team, Zeb, is based very strongly on Ralph McQuarrie's original concept art for Chewbacca.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Garazeb_Orrelios
Every episode of filled with a whole bunch of little references to old OLD school SW like this. There was a vehicle in a recent episode based on and old 1979 Kenner Star Wars 'Imperial troop transport toy which had never appeared on screen before now.
Old 27 October 2014, 04:51 AM

Although I have to agree that the Cantina Band is a classic and is still a good listen (even though the visuals are cheesy), there's some awful musical stuff in the actual movies. I can't imagine Disney making something as mind-bleach-inspring as Lapti Nek. They might make something visually cringeworthy but I don't think they could find any of their own musicians to compose so badly.
Old 27 October 2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
There's been a whole bunch of Star Wars musicals already such as The Star Wars episode of the Muppet Show and The Star Wars episode of the Donny and Marie Osmond Show and the Star Wars Christmas Special (which I'm not going to post a link for because it's awful). ...
Let's not forget the recent Phineas and Ferb crossover, which worked nicely because the P&F plot was sandwiched in between scenes from SW: A New Hope. I particularly liked Vanessa's victory song after the Death Star exploded.

Brad "let me hear some of that rebel bass!" from Georgia
Old 29 October 2014, 09:02 PM

I love the new show, and it makes me happy for the direction they are taking the franchise. It is more in touch with the original movie, IMO, than anything other than Return of the Jedi. I'm glad that the people out there who forgot what Star Wars was and think everything needs to be dark and edgy did not get their wish.