snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > About This Site > Snopes Spotting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 30 July 2009, 04:27 PM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,640
Icon104 51 Conspiracy Theories That Don’t Exist But Should

Quote:
45. Snopes.com is actually run by government spooks so they can cover things up by calling them “urban legends.”
http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2009/07...racy-theories/
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 30 July 2009, 04:29 PM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,640
Icon27

Quote:
Snopes.com is actually run by government spooks so they can cover things up by calling them “urban legends.”
This one does exist -- people have been accusing us of that since the earliest days of the site.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 30 July 2009, 04:44 PM
Nick Theodorakis Nick Theodorakis is offline
 
Join Date: 05 November 2005
Location: Fishers, IN
Posts: 6,657
Default

Quote:
5. The Matrix is a documentary. It’s release was a “glitch.” Think about it, man
Is that why they made such sucky sequels? To try to cover it up?

Nick
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 30 July 2009, 04:49 PM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,640
Snake

Quote:
The United States Originally had 14 Colonies. One of them was eaten by a giant alien snake which is where the “Don’t Tread on me Flag” came from.
And it's better known as the birthplace of our current president.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 30 July 2009, 05:02 PM
Wicked Tinkerbell's Avatar
Wicked Tinkerbell Wicked Tinkerbell is offline
 
Join Date: 27 April 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 855
Icon202

Quote:
42. The Earth is a giant computer created by another giant computer to calculate the question to the ultimate answer.
...And I believe that ultimate answer was the number 42. Right?

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 30 July 2009, 05:05 PM
ElectricBarbarella's Avatar
ElectricBarbarella ElectricBarbarella is offline
 
Join Date: 10 October 2001
Location: Ruskin, FL
Posts: 7,330
Default

The really sad part is that a few of those can be attributed to people (truly human) I know that believe those things.

And I'm not talking about the moon landing was faked type of people either.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 30 July 2009, 05:31 PM
DemonWolf's Avatar
DemonWolf DemonWolf is offline
 
Join Date: 24 April 2002
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 13,114
Icon202

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
And it's better known as the birthplace of our current president.
Had you said that it was the birthplace of Stan Jones, I would have believed it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 30 July 2009, 05:48 PM
Barbara
 
Posts: n/a
Whalephant

Quote:
Snopes.com is actually run by government spooks so they can cover things up by calling them “urban legends.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
This one does exist -- people have been accusing us of that since the earliest days of the site.
Also since the beginnings of the site, we've been accused of being owned and operated by Coca-Cola, Disney, McDonald's, and I think Microsoft. In more recent years, the DNC, the RNC, and someone named George Soros have been added to the list.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 30 July 2009, 05:52 PM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,640
Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
Also since the beginnings of the site, we've been accused of being owned and operated by Coca-Cola, Disney, McDonald's, and I think Microsoft. In more recent years, the DNC, the RNC, and someone named George Soros have been added to the list.
All of which were rumors started to obscure the identity of the true owners of our site, the New York Times.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 30 July 2009, 05:52 PM
Lainie's Avatar
Lainie Lainie is offline
 
Join Date: 29 August 2005
Location: Suburban Columbus, OH
Posts: 74,331
Default

This was my favorite:

Quote:
18. In 1992 Patrick Stewart and William Shatner had a bare-knuckles boxing match in the basement of a sound stage in Hollywood, the result of which Shatner had to die at the end of Star Trek: Generations.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 30 July 2009, 05:53 PM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,640
Fight

Quote:
In 1992 Patrick Stewart and William Shatner had a bare-knuckles boxing match in the basement of a sound stage in Hollywood, the result of which Shatner had to die at the end of Star Trek: Generations.
Does that result indicate Shatner won or lost the fight?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 30 July 2009, 06:04 PM
Barbara
 
Posts: n/a
Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
All of which were rumors started to obscure the identity of the true owners of our site, the New York Times.
I know with a chilling sense of certainty that conspiracy-minded folks (of which the Internet has so many) will find your response in this thread, read it, and forever afterwards point to it as irrefutable proof that we're owned by the New York Times.

I also know that what you just posted won't serve one whit to dissuade any of the other conspiracy loons that we're not really owned and operated by the CIA, Secret Service, FBI, Homeland Security, Microsoft, Disney, the DNC, the RNC, Coca-Cola, McDonald's, George Soros, or any other business entity, government agency, or person they've already decided is behind the site.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 30 July 2009, 07:20 PM
Canuckistan's Avatar
Canuckistan Canuckistan is offline
 
Join Date: 27 March 2005
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 30,122
Frying Pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Does that result indicate Shatner won or lost the fight?
Yeah, I didn't particularly care for Generations, either.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 30 July 2009, 07:23 PM
Canuckistan's Avatar
Canuckistan Canuckistan is offline
 
Join Date: 27 March 2005
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 30,122
Frying Pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
I also know that what you just posted won't serve one whit to dissuade any of the other conspiracy loons that we're not really owned and operated by the CIA, Secret Service, FBI, Homeland Security, Microsoft, Disney, the DNC, the RNC, Coca-Cola, McDonald's, George Soros, or any other business entity, government agency, or person they've already decided is behind the site.
ACLU. You forgot the ACLU.

Also, Homosexual Agenda Inc. They all have shares in snopes.com.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 30 July 2009, 07:25 PM
Bryan With a 'Y''s Avatar
Bryan With a 'Y' Bryan With a 'Y' is offline
 
Join Date: 11 January 2007
Location: Anchorage, AK
Posts: 2,608
Shifty Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
I also know that what you just posted won't serve one whit to dissuade any of the other conspiracy loons that we're not really owned and operated by the CIA, Secret Service, FBI, Homeland Security, Microsoft, Disney, the DNC, the RNC, Coca-Cola, McDonald's, George Soros, or any other business entity, government agency, or person they've already decided is behind the site.
I posted the observation that all of them think they're behind it... if they only knew the truth!

And then the board went down.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 30 July 2009, 07:31 PM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,640
Icon104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan With a 'Y' View Post
I posted the observation that all of them think they're behind it... if they only knew the truth!
That's closer than you think ... we constantly rotate the site through a series of faux corporate ownerships to keep people off track.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 30 July 2009, 07:33 PM
Canuckistan's Avatar
Canuckistan Canuckistan is offline
 
Join Date: 27 March 2005
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 30,122
Icon18

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
That's close than you think ... we constantly rotate the site through a series of faux corporate ownerships to keep people off track.
Indeed. Imagine my surprise when I found out Canuckistan Corp. was official owner of snopes.com for 37.3 minutes last Monday! I was shocked!

I thought I at least deserved 45 minutes!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01 August 2009, 02:24 AM
zman977's Avatar
zman977 zman977 is offline
 
Join Date: 26 September 2003
Location: La Salle, IL
Posts: 3,010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Theodorakis View Post
Is that why they made such sucky sequels? To try to cover it up?

Nick

I must be strange, I liked the seaquels. I thought they were good.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01 August 2009, 07:14 AM
Magpye's Avatar
Magpye Magpye is offline
 
Join Date: 08 December 2006
Location: Anchorage, AK
Posts: 1,260
Default

Who is this George Soros person?

(Yes, I could Google it... it's more fun to ask.)
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01 August 2009, 01:03 PM
JoeBentley's Avatar
JoeBentley JoeBentley is offline
 
Join Date: 23 June 2002
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 21,796
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpye View Post
Who is this George Soros person?

(Yes, I could Google it... it's more fun to ask.)
He's an American financier, currently the 29th richest person in the world. Made a fortune in currency speculation. Made the news back during the 2004 election when he donated massive amounts to Moveon.org and went on record saying he would sacrifice his entire fortune to guarantee George W. Bush's defeat.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.