snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Fun House

Old 04 January 2013, 02:18 PM

Blow Your Top Pooh's Random Crossover Adventures

Recently I was introduced to a series of YouTube movies which must be seen to be believed: Pooh's Adventures. They are simply an existing cartoon, ranging from a 10-minute short to a full-length feature, interspersed with footage from The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, along with any other cartoons the creator felt like adding, with new dialogue added to make it seem like they're part of the same plot. Kind of like a Godfrey Ho film, but the edits are even more obvious. On top of that, the new dialogue is delivered in captions, with no background music or dubbing for the new lines, save for any words in the original dialogue that happened to match them. You can be watching a scene for several minutes, then suddenly the sound cuts out and a two-second clip of Piglet or whoever appears, and then back to the story. Watching one of these movies is like looking at a recreation of The Last Supper made entirely out of shards of old beer bottles: one can only marvel at the time and effort it must have taken to create something like....THIS.

It gets better: There is a wiki. An honest-to-goodness wiki. For these.

But I can't adequately describe the madness with words. They must be seen to be believed. So here's Pooh's Adventures of Amazing Animals: Scary Animals Part 1, where Winnie the Pooh and every other cartoon character ever conceived enter a house that must be the size of the Astrodome and interrupt a children's nature documentary.

Old 04 January 2013, 09:00 PM

Note to the impatient (like me): There's almost 4 minutes of opening titles.
Old 04 January 2013, 10:28 PM

Wow, I can hardly bear to listen to that "Pooh Bear, Winnie the Pooh Bear" song even knowing that the people making this video edit might well have been doing so because they have much the same reaction to it that I do.

Disney's Winnie the Pooh was always a bit of an outrage, but that (the song) is beyond sacrilegious - it shows no understanding or appreciation of the original material at all. And it's probably trademarked. If corporations such as Disney have to make things and then trademark them to stifle any other creativity based on people's feelings for their creations, then they could at least corrupt their own creations rather than other people's.

I had to pause it to write this, but I also think the "titles" are a bit over the top... ripping something off to make a remix is one thing, but if they're outright stating that it was made by the corporations they're ripping off, then surely they're more likely to get in trouble for it, even if it obviously isn't? Hoping people will look the other way is one thing, but this is daring some major, notoriously litigeous corporations to take it down. Again, perhaps that's the point.

I hope there's some decent anti-corporate satire coming up... to think people have written books about Taoism based on the original Winnie The Pooh...

(eta) Hmm, well, no decent anti-corporate satire in the first half. I think I'm going to stop watching now. People just like different things, I suppose. Sorry TB Tabby.
Old 05 January 2013, 03:31 AM

The lack of sound, interspersed with the occasional snippet of original dialogue, I just can't stand. They might have done better to go entirely with subtitles, then dub in random foreign-language voices that the subtitles are allegedly 'translating.' (Which could add another layer of humor, or at least strangeness, for people who actually understand the language, and can tell it's complete nonsense.) I couldn't make it through, I'm afraid. And yeah, the three-plus minutes of opening credits (for a 12-minute film!) just was over the top to start with. And not in the good way.
Old 05 January 2013, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
People just like different things, I suppose. Sorry TB Tabby.
I never said I liked it. It's more morbid fascination than anything else.
Old 05 January 2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Tabby View Post
I never said I liked it. It's more morbid fascination than anything else.
I agree. I don't necessarily like it, but I can't seem to look away.
Old 09 January 2013, 10:25 PM

I just found a parody of the Pooh's Adventures "movies" that should help everyone feel better.

Old 10 January 2013, 12:08 AM

I can't... I just can't look away.