snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Questionable Quotes

Old 28 November 2007, 06:26 PM

Default Did John Madden really say this

I did a search and could not find this one so I'll ask here. A friend of mine told me that when John Madden and Pat Summeral were doing football games together on FOX he saw a game played on Thanks Giving Day where some birds had landed on the field. John had commented that those birds had better watch out or they'd wind up on someones plate for Thanks Giving dinner. After a pause Pat told John that those birds were geese not turkeys.

My friend swears he saw this happen but I can't find any reference to it. It does sound like the kind of thing John Maden would say but a google search turns up nothing. To me the story sounds a little fishy.
Old 28 November 2007, 06:37 PM
Elsie

Frankly, I would be more worried about Pat sounding like an idiot - lots of people eat geese, even for Thanksgiving.
Old 28 November 2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsie View Post
Frankly, I would be more worried about Pat sounding like an idiot - lots of people eat geese, even for Thanksgiving.
Even if that wasn't the case, it would be clear that John Madden was making a joke aimed at a holiday where people have a big feast.
Old 28 November 2007, 07:38 PM
Elsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
Even if that wasn't the case, it would be clear that John Madden was making a joke aimed at a holiday where people have a big feast.
Yeah, that too!

ETA: I guess I'm just really baffled about the whole OP. Even if the exchange took place as decribed, I don't see anything wrong/stupid/shocking/funny/whatever in what Madden said. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think the OP should atually say "Did Pat Summerall really say this" because no matter how you look at it, he's the one that comes off badly. And even then, it's not so much "badly" as just seriously "humor-impaired".
Old 28 November 2007, 08:59 PM
Griffin2020

That does not sound like Madden, as the statement is to straight-forward and non convoluted...
Old 28 November 2007, 09:05 PM
Doug4.7

Icon202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin2020 View Post
That does not sound like Madden, as the statement is to straight-forward and non convoluted...
Okay, then what if it went, "Well those birds on the field better be watching out for being put on the table after being cooked in an oven due to it being around Thanksgiving and...."
Old 29 November 2007, 12:26 AM

Chicken

And it isn't a proper Madden quote without 14 minutes of 'chalkboard'.