Comment: I am trying to track down the truth and source of a quote that
Hillary Cinton supposedly said that "nurses are overpaid and
undereducated".

I've been unable to find this on any quote site, but have heard it cited
repeatedly.
Old 24 October 2007, 08:03 PM
Doug4.7

Soapbox

That is another good quote to throw at her (as in mud and sticking).
Old 24 October 2007, 08:11 PM
Class Bravo

Right, because it would make a lot of sense for someone who's trying to gather as many votes as possible to say something like that.
Old 24 October 2007, 08:14 PM

Damn that Hillary Cinton!
Old 24 October 2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class Bravo View Post
Right, because it would make a lot of sense for someone who's trying to gather as many votes as possible to say something like that.
Right, people running for political office never say bonehead things that lose them votes.
Old 24 October 2007, 08:22 PM

I have heard the same quote attributed to Schwarzenegger during the nursing dispute a few years ago, but I can't find anything to back it up yet.
Old 24 October 2007, 08:26 PM
Doug4.7

Ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckle Up View Post
Right, people running for political office never say bonehead things that lose them votes.
Yea, I can think of a "baking cookies" remark that went out on one of the candidates.....

Or an 'insane' yell by another.....

Or a 'I was just tapping my foot' remark by yet another....
Old 24 October 2007, 08:27 PM
Class Bravo

Quote:
Sure they do, but there's a difference between saying something that can be taken out of context and saying something that's just downright stupid and inflammatory like the above quote. Kerry's quote about being stuck in Iraq last year in which he was referring to Bush was easily taken out of context and interpreted to be a bonehead quote, while the "quote" here is nothing more than an attack on a group of people.
Old 24 October 2007, 08:35 PM

It's possible that it is an issue of context, though: "Some Republicans will tell you that nurses are overpaid and undereducated! (Booooooooo!) But anyone whose family member is tended in their last days by a nurse will tell you that we don't pay you anywhere near enough!" (Yayyyyyyy!)

Limbaugh-esque spin: "Hillary Clinton says 'nurses are overpaid and undereducated!'"
Old 24 October 2007, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug4.7 View Post
Yea, I can think of a "baking cookies" remark that went out on one of the candidates.....
Not one of the best moments, but not a bad one, either. Most effective out of context.

Quote:
Or an 'insane' yell by another.....
By whom? If you are referring to the so-called Dean Scream, well, again, context.

Quote:
Or a 'I was just tapping my foot' remark by yet another....
Huh?

In searching I found the quote aributed to 1992 without any other details.

It also seems that 'undereducated and overpaid' is sometimes used in reference to using LPNs in place of RNs.

In light of Clinton's recent comments on nurses and health care I hardly think she would have made such a blanket comment about them, now or in 1992.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class Bravo View Post
Sure they do, but there's a difference between saying something that can be taken out of context and saying something that's just downright stupid and inflammatory like the above quote. Kerry's quote about being stuck in Iraq last year in which he was referring to Bush was easily taken out of context and interpreted to be a bonehead quote, while the "quote" here is nothing more than an attack on a group of people.
Do you have proof of that? Do you know the context? Do you know that she didn't say the word "some" in front of the word "nurses?"

I don't want this to turn into a fight with you, CB...I think we can both agree that many candidates make errors in speech, both intentional and unintentional, both inflammatory and misrepresented/out of context.

ETA: Partially spanked by Chloe. (Partially spanked...one cheek?)
Old 24 October 2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglRdr View Post
Huh?
Ahem...

You might want to look at that...
Old 24 October 2007, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
Ahem...

You might want to look at that...
I thought he was talking about something political as opposed to sexual. My bad!
Old 24 October 2007, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Huh?
I think it's a Sen. Craig reference.

Sorry, I took too long.

Quote:
I thought he was talking about something political as opposed to sexual. My bad!
I think he was referencing general boneheaded things politicians say.
Old 24 October 2007, 08:50 PM

Ambulance

I found another discussion of this here.

I couldn't find anything more substantive.

Also possible that this is kind of a compound slander - that she said that we need more funding for education of nurses (to address the ongoing nursing shortage), and elsewhere said that we need to control the cost of healthcare. Spin the first as 'She wants more education for nurses? She must be saying that nurses are undereducated!' Then spin the second as 'Cost control? What, you think nurses are overpaid?' Then jam them together - 'Hillary says that nurses are undereducated and overpaid!' and repeat it until at least a few people are sure they remember her saying it. Fifteen years later, a few people will remember with certainty that she said it, and nobody will remember the circumstances.

Could work. I agree with the poster on the page I cited who said that if this quote were real, her opponents would be purchasing weekly skywriting in major cities and tattooing it on their butts. To paraphrase.
Old 24 October 2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan With a 'Y' View Post
I found another discussion of this here.

I couldn't find anything more substantive.

Also possible that this is kind of a compound slander - that she said that we need more funding for education of nurses (to address the ongoing nursing shortage), and elsewhere said that we need to control the cost of healthcare. Spin the first as 'She wants more education for nurses? She must be saying that nurses are undereducated!' Then spin the second as 'Cost control? What, you think nurses are overpaid?' Then jam them together - 'Hillary says that nurses are undereducated and overpaid!' and repeat it until at least a few people are sure they remember her saying it. Fifteen years later, a few people will remember with certainty that she said it, and nobody will remember the circumstances.

Could work. I agree with the poster on the page I cited who said that if this quote were real, her opponents would be purchasing weekly skywriting in major cities and tattooing it on their butts. To paraphrase.
I could not disagree more - they would want people to see such things, and a tattoo on the posterior of ANY of the presidential candidates would be the very least effective thing to achieve this aim.
Old 24 October 2007, 09:07 PM
Doug4.7

Soapbox

Quote:
Huh?
I couldn't find a quote quick enough from that Senator who was caught in the airport tapping the toes of fellow bathroom users.

As for the quote, from the point of view of those who do not like Hillary, who cares if it is real. All they care is that it sticks. Just like the comments about her "abusing" the White House guards.

Do I think its real? I don't know and I really don't care. I doubt that she really thinks that, but it could be out of context or just simply made up. It doesn't matter to me.
Old 24 October 2007, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
I could not disagree more - they would want people to see such things, and a tattoo on the posterior of ANY of the presidential candidates would be the very least effective thing to achieve this aim.
Perhaps; I was thinking more of the foam-flecked wing-nut media set (Coulter, Limbaugh, et al). They want people to see where they're talking out of.
Old 24 October 2007, 09:13 PM
Class Bravo

Quote:
I don't want this to turn into a fight with you, CB...I think we can both agree that many candidates make errors in speech, both intentional and unintentional, both inflammatory and misrepresented/out of context.
How about this:

I am willing to believe that she said the words in the OP. They might have been taken out of context, they might be twisting what she said, or something along those lines.

However, I do not believe that she *meant* those words as the OP would have us believe. I do not think she has a vendetta against nurses, and if she did I don't think she would stand and publicly proclaim it.